Alright, the best .22 handgun?

My wife has an Ruger SR22,and that is a fun gun!
Eats anything you feed it, has a nice trigger, and feels good in your hand.

Ruger's 22/45 is pretty sweet too.

The S&W K-22 Masterpiece / Model 17 does everything well. The 3" Model 63 might be better for carry / hiking.

No idea about a semi-auto, never shot one.

A quick rundown of the .22s I've owned or own.

* Colt Woodsman- One of the best ever made. Very accurate and reliable. A collectable these days.
* Browning Buckmark- Almost as good as the Woodsman. Plink or target worth.
* Bersa T22 - Nice plinker, medium quality in a nice package. A good buy.
* Daewoo DP52 - A clone but better than the original in many ways. An all steel tank that is as good as a plinker can be.
* Beretta 948/ 70s - Similar enough to lump together... excellent guns, reliable and robust. Tiny sights. A best buy.
* Beretta NEOS - A best buy. Quality, reliability and good accuracy in a value package. Looks odd but works well.
* Walther PP/PPK/s - Old world class and quality. Crummy tiny sights, but so beautiful nobody cares. Expensive and collectable. Good plinker.
* Walther TPH - Too expensive for pure fun but fun it is. Collectable.
* Sig Mosquito - Piece of crap. Too bad, I wanted it to work. Good idea executed poorly.
* Walther P22 - OK, but not too reliable and a pain to fiddle with. Should have been great but wasn't.
* GSG 1911-22 - A very pleasant surprise. Accurate, good trigger, good price and good sights. A best buy
* S&W K22 - A masterpiece of machining. Too bad it's a revolver. ;)
* S&W 622 - Odd, weird, quirky, but reliable and accurate. A good buy if at a good price.

Hard to beat a nice .22lr. As long as it's reliable it can be the most fun in firearmdom.:cool:

Ruger Mark 3. Although heavier than most polymer pistols, it has been extremely accurate and has only FTE with old circa 1980 ammunition my grandpa had layin' around.

For second place I'd vote the walther P22. Very lightweight and super reliable and extremely ergonomic compared to some other straight magwell/grip designs.

Revolver K-22,the 617 is a monster for the cartridge,I know I owned one, stunningly beautiful gun but huge.

I've given up on semi autos in the 22-everyone I've owned recently has been a real pain in the donkey.

Buy a known quality gun whatever you buy in 22 or you will pay in headache.

For a target Semi-auto.......Browning "Belgium made" Medalist. I've had one since 1972. They can still be found on the auction sites for over $1000

Back