Alright, the best .22 handgun?

We've had a High Standard in the family since the 70's. A very reliable firearm.

The Browning Buckmark with a TacSol barrel is about as light and accurate as most people will ever need. Turn the sear spring around and you've got a very light trigger as well.

Self loading plinkers, Ruger MKII if you have a little smithing skill, Buckmark if you don't
Self loading target, HS Victor
Wheelgun for either, Dan Wesson.
My personal pick over any of those, my Contender with a 10" 22 short match barrel from MGM.

hmmm

Revolver---Kit gun and general woods walking/plinker: S&W 317 Airlite.
Semi-auto for these same purposes: Ruger Mk.II
Target: I agree with Saleen....high end is FWB AW93. Mid range would be the HS Victor or the S&W 41.
Pete
PS
a Smith 41 is a great gun without breaking the bank like a true target pistol
The Smith 41 is a true target pistol.

I'm curious about the Smith and Wesson 317 and aluminum guns in general. Aluminum does not have the material strength or recoil-absorbing weight of steel. Recoil-absorption is far less important in .22 but I worry about the strength. It is certainly enough for a reliable CCW or emergency gun but do they really stand up to the long-term stress of plinking and regular range use?

I like the following
Semi auto- Colt Woodsman
DA revolver- S&W 35-1
SA revolver- Ruger Bearcat

custom Ruger single six with one charge hole reamed to 22mag.

My only gripe is that my Ruger occasionally gets a case trapped behind the recoil spring bar, or stove-piped, preventing a fresh round from chambering: it is a mag out job to clear it.... Better since I removed the mag safety and the LCI, but still happens now and then.

I started having stovepipe issues with one of my Ruger Mk II's, and replaced the extractor, and extractor spring with replacements from Volquartsen. The problem went away, and now it is back to working 100%.

It is hard to beat the Ruger MK II, and Browning Buckmark for plinkers, and target work. With aftermarket parts you can make them into match guns rivaling some of the high end stuff.

For revolvers, the Smith 617 is a great choice. I'd love to get a Diamondback, but the prices have gotten a bit steep.

Can say anything about an auto-loader as never owned one one but a revolver then: single action=Ruger Single Six / double action= S&W 617.:D

rodfac nailed it!

rod fac covered my choices!

Revolvers: DA Colt Diamondback -the best looking' revolver ever built. Get the blued not the nickel for daily usage.

Revolvers: SA Ruger's wonderful Single Six Convertible...preferably with an auxiliary .22 Magnum cylinder...and of course a 3-screw.

Automatics: S&W's M41 or the Colt Woodsman

I think "best" is subjective, but there are lots of good choices here. I've owned a Ruger super single six and a Smith model 63, both excellent revolvers. I like both the ruger and the browning semi auto. Either gives plenty of choices in configuration, across a wide range of prices.

Cosmodragoon said:
I'm curious about the Smith and Wesson 317 and aluminum guns in general. Aluminum does not have the material strength or recoil-absorbing weight of steel. Recoil-absorption is far less important in .22 but I worry about the strength. It is certainly enough for a reliable CCW or emergency gun but do they really stand up to the long-term stress of plinking and regular range use?

I have the 3" 317. When I bought it, I asked several gunsmiths about cleaning the cylinder, and was told to clean it like a normal steel gun. They had never seen one damaged in any way. There are also no internet complaints about damage, so I guess that the aluminum construction is not a factor. The 317 has been around for a long time now, and you certainly would hear if there were problems.

By the way, its an exceptional little revolver. Amazingly light, almost feels fake. Mine is very accurate, but I have difficulty shooting it accurately, because I dont like the sights. The 3" comes with a "V" notch rear, and a rounded top fiber optic front. I dont like that combination, and will change them out for standard target sights when I get a chance. The 2" comes with standard shaped fixed sights.

Best 22's

The best 22 revolver is the S&W Model 17-the old six shot original model is accurate and reliable and is probably the only 22 revolver capable of competition shooting-the Model 18 is a close second.
The best 22 semi auto for target is probably the S&W Model 41 or the Hi Standard Citation series-neither is handy for plinking however.

When comes to .22lrs I have little love for anything revolver. Kinda strange for a guy that doesn't own a centerfire that isn't a revolver. Anyhow, I've tried various rimfires to fill the "kit gun" niche over the years. Some a little small, some a little big, finally settled on the Ruger MKIII "Talo" with it's 4.5" slab side barrel.

Stock photo:

Yes, in many ways I wish it was an MKII instead of a III. Already removed the mag safety and the LCI catches dirt, makes it harder to clean and a little more finicky than the other Rugers I've had in the past. But with good ammo and in all other areas the gun is "just right". And previous 22/45's didn't have the grip options this has without modification so I'm actually happy with the II vs. III trade off. It packs easy (much better than the 5.5" bulls), accurate enough that any critter within reasonable range had better be sweating, wouldn't be ashamed of it at any target shoot (although my shooting might leave something to be desired).

Second choice for me would be a older Ruger Standard with it's 4"(?) tapered barrel.

Last edited:
At one time I had a dozen or so 22 handguns.

These days I've only got two.

A Ruger Standard Automatic with 4" barrel and fixed sights. Mine happens to be a Mark II, but I've owned all of the Marks and I don't see much difference.

The other is a Ruger Single-Six.

But to tell you the truth, I've never seen one I didn't like.

I would tend to agree with the revolver guys with this one. However, a good .22 semiauto wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Browning's new 1911-22 is pretty cool, and from reviews, it's 100% reliable.

"1. What is the best .22 semi-automatic handgun for each of these purposes and why?

2. What is the best .22 revolver for each of these purposes and why?"

Auto-loader: For a camp gun, I prefer the Ruger Mk series of pistols. Cheap, reliable and accurate. For plinking I can't think of one better. For target, in an affordable range, I have a preference for Woodsmans, M41s and Hammerlis. The Hammerli Xesse (formerly the Trailside), and the M41 are somewhat less finicky about ammo than the more expensive Hammerlis, Pardinis and Benellis, though neither should be shot with high velocity ammunition if one wants peak performance and accuracy.

Revolvers... M17. Everything. Camp, target. In continuous production with refinements and variations for about 80 years, superbly accurate and reliable.

no experiance in the other two but for
plinkin' - Neos
target - Trailside (unless you have the big $$ for the high end)
I do like my little Crickett Firearms single shot for the "just for fun" category.

Back