Alright, the best .22 handgun?

Cosmodragoon

Like many people here, I don't consider .22 LR to be reliable self-defense. I can see it in a "kit gun" because it is light and it could work for a variety of camp purposes. I definitely see it for plinking and target shooting. So let's get some lively discussion and deep reflection going. (Yeah, there might be other threads but let's make this the best thread.)

1. What is the best .22 semi-automatic handgun for each of these purposes and why?

2. What is the best .22 revolver for each of these purposes and why?

22 kit gun/ plinker semi - browning buckmark or ruger mark I, II, or III

22 target semi totally depends on your budget - a Smith 41 is a great gun without breaking the bank like a true target pistol will.

22 revolver kit/ small handy plinker - a smith 63 or airweight 317, or a ruger single six, or bearcat.

22 revolver target - smith K-22 or 617

just my 2 cents...

In my opinion I'd say for a general use 22 semi-auto, for just banging around with, I'd go with a Ruger 22/45 or a Buckmark 4" bull.

Revolvers: DA = S&W M18 (expensive and worth every damned nickle!) 2nd choice = Colt Diamondback (even more expensive than the Smith M18 but worth almost every damned nickle...and is arguably the best lookin' revolver ever built.)

Revolvers: SA Ruger's wonderful Single Six Convertible...preferably with an auxiliary .22 Magnum cylinder...and of course a 3-screw.

Automatics: S&W's M41 with both the 5" heavy target barrel, and of course the light wt. "Field Barrel"(a rarely seen and expensive add-on...but worth every penny too!) A good to nearly perfect 2nd choice is Colt's superb, Woodsman in the 4" barrel length...target or field version is first rate. Compared to these two, all the rest are just cheap imitations...JMHO....

Best Regards, Rod

Plinker - Ruger MK II or III
Mid level Tgt - High Standard, current production model
Target Pistol - Feinwerkbau AW93
Revolver - FA 83

For and auto, I like the Ruger Standard, preferably the Mk II. To me, it's the best all-around .22 handgun. It's the modern Colt Woodsman.

For a .22 revolver, I like my Colt New Frontier with its 4 3/4 inch barrel.

1. Ruger Mk II SS Bull Barrel (I am very pleased with this)

2. S&W Model 63 ("the kit gun" - I like this one but haven't tried any alternatives)

The wife and I have several 22 cal handguns, also some rifles. They are all OK and do what they are designed to do. However, let me say, I have not much faith in 22 Cal ammo for self defense purposes. Just too many duds show up. For self defense best to go with a 380, 9mm or 38/357. As others have noted, ANYTHING is better than a 22.

For and auto, I like the Ruger Standard, preferably the Mk II. To me, it's the best all-around .22 handgun. It's the modern Colt Woodsman.

I would have to 2nd GyMac on this one. I just so happened to get a Colt Woodsman for Christmas and it is dead accurate! :D I love the vintage feel of it.

Revolver wise, a Ruger Bearcat is a good choice. I am impressed with my friends and keep trying to buy it off him, but he wont sell...:(

jamaica said:
However, let me say, I have not much faith in 22 Cal ammo for self defense purposes. Just too many duds show up. For self defense best to go with a 380, 9mm or 38/357. As others have noted, ANYTHING is better than a 22.

Who said anything about a 22 for Self Defense? Did you actually read the original post? He said "I don't consider .22 LR to be reliable self-defense." Here we go AGAIN

Cosmodragoon said:
I noticed no love for the SP-101 in .22 in any category and have heard mixed reviews. Does it just not stack up?

I have the new 8 shot SP101-22. Its a very solid contender in the revolver category. It has a trigger that is heavier than the older S&W 22 revolvers, so many people will recommend them, over the Ruger. I also have a new S&W 617, and the trigger is just as heavy as the SP101-22 but has a slightly shorter Double Action stroke. I have done nothing to my SP101-22 trigger except use the Wolff #8 RETURN spring, and after a couple thousand rounds, the trigger is very smooth, and much lighter than stock. If I would install shims, and clean everything up, it would be even better. The SP101-22 is every bit the equal to the new S&W offerings, with the exception of the length of DA stroke. Its a fine 22 revolver.

I have no .22 revolver, but I do have a Ruger MkIII 512.

I am confident that it could assume any of the roles listed above, not to mention hunting, especially with a stock attached. Mine has a silencer and FO sights and will soon sport a 2.5MOA red-dot making plinking at slightly greater distances doable.

My only gripe is that my Ruger occasionally gets a case trapped behind the recoil spring bar, or stove-piped, preventing a fresh round from chambering: it is a mag out job to clear it.... Better since I removed the mag safety and the LCI, but still happens now and then.

Like many people here, I don't consider .22 LR to be reliable self-defense. I can see it in a "kit gun" because it is light and it could work for a variety of camp purposes. I definitely see it for plinking and target shooting. So let's get some lively discussion and deep reflection going. (Yeah, there might be other threads but let's make this the best thread.)

1. What is the best .22 semi-automatic handgun for each of these purposes and why?

My 6" Ruger Mark II Target covers all that very well.

Back