All things being equal, which is more effective...

I know that this is a bit older thread, but wanted to throw out an option that I have found to be the MOST comfortable and concealable for me, mind you we're all unique. That said I do not carry anything on my ankle and personally feel it is a poor choice for some of the reasons already mentioned here. IWB is effective and one can get used to it regarding comfort etc., but I do prefer shoulder carry under my arm. There are different options out there and I've tried most, but when it comes to a shoulder rig made of cloth concealable with only a shirt, I've found none to be better than the Kangaroo. It is far more comfortable than any IWB holster that I've tried and I do have a drawer full of them. With a bit of practice I feel that it is every bit as fast as most for drawing, and lightening fast compared to the 'tuckable' versions that have come along. Wearing a button up shirt either short or long sleeve, to my knowledge I've never had anyone notice that I was carrying and I carry religiously every day even at work as an electrician. I have tried all three models that are offered but lean toward the 'air marshal' myself, worn with an 'A' shirt or 'wife beater' underneath and like I mentioned, a button up short or long sleeved shirt. Been carrying that way since 2008. You can wear it against your skin without issues, I just prefer the undershirt myself. In a t-shirt or sweatshirt, drawing could be problematic, but I doubt too much so with practice, at least it hasn't proved to be for me. Here is a link to the manufacturers website.

http://www.kangaroocarry.com/

When I do wear t-shirts and shorts in the summers I sometimes use what dakota.potts suggested which also works exceptionally well.

I don't know if it is a possibility or would be of much help, but if you found a holster you would like and a personal mailing from beyond the EU would the lower the cost of shipping I'd be glad to help, just let me know.

Last edited:
Hopefully your use doesn't make it look as noticeable as the guy in the video ad.

Right away it looked like his upper torso was uneven and "heavy", or thick, on his left side, and that was with a really large, boxy polo shirt. Imbalances in body symmetry can be easier to notice than some folks might expect, even if people may not expect someone to be carrying a handgun (or are looking for one).

Then again, I've spent a career automatically scanning anyone I see for indications of them being armed. Lumps and uneven "body lines", or off-balance physical symmetry, are sometimes hard to disguise.

Not everyone probably thinks "gun", though. Situational context and body language can affect how folks "see" and interpret things. ;)

Hopefully your use doesn't make it look as noticeable as the guy in the video ad.

Agreed! Like I said, to my knowledge.... there are things I'll never know and rest assured if I noticed someone who appeared to be carrying a weapon, I'
d not bring to their attention that I had!
I prefer button up collared shirts rather than a t-shirt or polo shirt as I said. Part of the reason is that I don't believe it prints as easily as it would wearing a t-shirt or polo.

Button shirts, especially if not tailored, can be a bit more tolerant of bulges. Sometimes an irregular pattern might help, too.

Breezes, as well as unthinking bending/twisting actions, can tighten a shirt over a gun, though.

It's a balance of carry method, physical shape, a shirt which allows some leeway and staying aware that you're actually concealing a weapon.

Some folks just can't avoid holding their posture differently when armed, or making small gestures, (pulling, scratching, adjusting, etc) that are out-of-place when something isn't being concealed underneath a cover garment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional insight.

I think I'm sticking with my existing set-up for now with a small IWB holster just because it works well enough to not to start throwing money at solutions that may not actually solve!!

How do you dress? I put a custom pocket into my all my coats and jackets and I IWB right handed cross draw. I can shift the same holsted from IWB to the custom pocket. I laso ahev other holsters fitted into my coats. You could also use a gun vest.

How do you dress?

Typically, jeans, casual shoes, untucked t-shirt, or tucked with a jumper, sweater over the top.

Customising clothing is a very nice idea but expensive. Probably, by quite a margin. I don't carry all the time and it is just sometimes that I wonder about alternatives. "Gun vests" are probably unheard of here, given the very small CCW market and, as a Simply Rugged OWB holster has taught me, shipping from the States costs a chunk!!

Back