All things being equal, which is more effective...

fastbolt said:
...Being seated in vehicles is where an ankle holster can be pretty practical. Reaching the ankle-holstered weapon while seated can be easier, less obtrusive and faster....
Perhaps for you. But I'd have a very tough time, if I could do it at all, drawing a gun from an ankle holster while behind the steering wheel of my car. On the other hand, I could quite easily draw my gun worn at my waist in an IWB holster -- even in my car.

Perhaps for you. But I'd have a very tough time, if I could do it at all, drawing a gun from an ankle holster while behind the steering wheel of my car. On the other hand, I could quite easily draw my gun worn at my waist in an IWB holster -- even in my car.

Yeah, it can certainly depend on the individual, the vehicle and the amount of room between the front of the seat, side panel, steering wheel and dash. Some folks are more easily able to reach to their ankle while seated than others, or even have clearance behind the steering wheel to lift their ankle within reach.

Taking the time to learn how to optimally access and draw a belt-holstered weapon (of any style) while seated & belted into a vehicle is something some folks may overlook. Could be very important, though.

I had a friend who ended up with his patrol car in a ditch, while initially being the primary pursuit vehicle, chasing an armed bank robbery suspect.

When the suspect saw the patrol car run off into the ditch, the suspect backed up (close pursuit), got out of his car and fired several rounds into my friend's patrol car before my friend could get his seat belt off or even draw his weapon.

None of the suspect's rounds hit my friend, but he was unable to draw his own duty weapon from his holster due to the seat belt and his holster positioning. Fortunately for him, the suspect got back in his car and fled the scent as he heard other sirens rapidly approaching (later apprehended after a pursuit into another county).

My friend actually suffered a shoulder injury due to the force he was using trying to draw his weapon as rounds were hitting his car. We later had a discussion about the importance of adjusting his gun belt holster during and after fastening a seat belt & buckle.

As a sidebar, this is a situation where a "mousegun" carried on his ankle (even if more easily accessible to him, in that situation), might not have had sufficient punch to effectively hit and stop the attacker if my friend had been forced to shoot at the attacker through his own vehicle's windshield or side window.

TANSTAAFL, right? ;)

Nowadays that I'm no longer working either uniform or plainclothes, I don't use a belt holstered weapon nearly as often as I do a weapon which I can pocket-holster carry, and that comes with its own inherent advantages & disadvantages when being seated in (or on) a vehicle. (More TANSTAAFL. :) )

Have you given any consideration to changing your weapon?

S&W has a slick little single stack 9MM out, called a shield, it is probably right at the same weight as your revolver, . . . carries more rounds, . . . and is a dream to carry in an IWB.

I say that as I carry an all steel Commander sized .45ACP, . . . no problems with driving, sitting, standing, . . . but it is a bit painful if I forget and lay down on it the wrong way to grab a quick nap.:D

I have carried a revolver, . . . but the semi-auto is so much more comfortable (and in my case, . . . comforting).

May God bless,
Dwight

Have you given any consideration to changing your weapon?

I've imagined it, but not seriously.

I posted earlier in the thread that this country has a condition 3 carry requirement in the law giving revolvers a distinct advantage in that they don't need chambering.

if I were in your situation, I would definitely choose to stay with a revolver. i'm not a fan, but what about a double-tap in an effective short barrel caliber, are those legal to carry chambered since they are not semi?

My apologies, James Pond, . . . I somehow missed the tidbit of condition 3 carry. That is a deal breaker for a semi-auto, . . . for sure.

I personally have never worn an ankle holster (although I have made them), . . . and probably wouldn't, . . . after seeing a video of a policeman trying to use his 5 shot .38 during a bank robbery.

I'd have to do an IWB, . . . but that is just my opinion, . . . wish you the best on whatever you choose.

May God bless,
Dwight

i'm not a fan, but what about a double-tap in an effective short barrel caliber, are those legal to carry chambered since they are not semi?

The law says that if the magazine (bullet storage device so mag in a semi and cylinder in a revolver) is not part of the chamber then it must be carried empty. So a double tap should be OK, but I prefer a chubby 6-shot to a slim 2 shot!!

They don't sell that here: never seen it and ordering from the US means a big duty hit once it comes into the country, so I don't think I'd give it a go as a punt...

Ankle holster makes it difficult to get to your gun. It still requires you to have two hands available, so it negates the advantage of having a revolver versus a semi with an empty chamber. Back in the day, ankle carry was one of my preferred methods because it is the most concealable traditional method outside of back pocket carry of a LCP or guns similar. Concealment was paramount as it was Chicago.

You may want to look into a belly band carry or an undershirt with a built-in holster for crossdraw. Either method will still require both hands.

IWB for me. Even though its legal to open carry here, I find IWB preferrable. Crossbreed super tuck is a good starting place. I had a local guy make me an "improved" version. It has finished leather on the body side and thicker Kydex (my Crossbreed cracked). It takes some time to get really comfortable with it. Now it's very natural.

I also found that a flexible waistband in the pants is very nice. I wear Dickies for work pants and really appreciate their "comfort flex" feature. Both sides have a flexible stretchy section. With a decent gun belt it stays put and allows some movement such as when seated or driving.

On a seperate note, I think I'd rather have a semi that needs racked on my waist than a revolver on my ankle. Pretty sure I could access the semi and rack it before you could reach, clear a pants leg and draw.

Whose IWB are you using?

I've been using a Galco Softuk Tuck-n-go for a S&W J frame. Appendix carry it is actually not so bad now. A bit of jiggery-pokery to get it settled when seated or driving but then it is OK. Not unnoticeable, but OK.

The IWB holster I really like is a custom by Mark O. of Hillsboro Mo. Local fella I met at the pawn shop one day. Was discussing my rusted Glock slide and he asked "Crossbreed"? Why yes sir, how did you guess? He said he's seen quite a few. Mind you, I am a sweater. And known to eat the finish off watches including "nice" watches. To his credit, I've never managed to "sweat through" his holster. Gush over, around and through... Well yeah.

Anyway, its similar, but different from a Crossbreed super tuck. He was making these when he was laid off. Now that he's back working full time+ he took down his web page. I could ask him if he's ready to sell more if you like. Pm me and I'll give him your contact info. I'll have to check with him before I give out his info on the web.

I'd say it very much depends on the gun and the person wearing it. For sub-compact autos and small J-frames, the ankle holster might be more concealable, as people tend to not stare at people's ankles very much. That said, slim people with more tailored pants might still have issues. For me, IWB can conceal a pretty large pistol without much trouble. If you don't have tight fitting shirts or worry about clips showing, that's probably the way to go. That said, if you are a little more round, it might not work that well.

I experimented with ankle carry.

It is what I would call deep concealment - it is not easy to access your firearm; though it is great while driving sitting.

You need a good to great holster, since it is the belt AND holster in one package.

Depending on how much you walk, the weight of the gun may be an issue.

I have not ankle carried in 5 years, AIWB for me.

If you are old, and/or cant see your toes while standing up straight, ankle holsters aren't for you.

Banned at matches and most ranges, cross draw or shoulder holsters are the fastest, plus you can get to them with either hand.

They also work better when setting or in the car strapped in a seat belt.

Having said that, I pocket carry my 642, it works not matter what time of year and in any weather. Its faster for me, and I can get to my revolver sitting or standing. And in Comfort Fit jeans (which is all I wear) almost impossible to detect.

An example, I had two ladies in my SD/Firearms class who I have been square dancing with for over 10 years. They didn't know I carried until they stated attending my class.

Back