All Gander Mountains officially liquidating

Typically when these large company stores go out of business, a liquidator manages the disposition of the merchandise. You'll see a large 'Going Out Of Business Sale' sign posted. In my experience, they're fake sales, with no savings at all. People buy stuff assuming they're getting a deal but if you comparison shop there's no savings.
A lot of states have "going out of business laws" that would otherwise somewhat regulate this practice. In my state, for example, one going out of business can't bring in new stock while advertising they are going out of business. It is inherently deceptive. Unfortunately, once it gets into bankruptcy court, most of the state/local laws can be ignored because the liquidators can bring in more cash for the creditors.

Dicks next?

I hope Dicks is next, as a former employee we were not treated well. They got rid of their handguns, jacked up the ammo costs during the Obama ammo shortage, and then eliminated the AR-15's after Sandy Hook, I just avoid them.

Lousy selection. Some have decent amount of guns. But anything else is poor. If you want to buy some non hunting clothes, they got lots of those. To yuppie. Been my last stop for 10 years.

One of them they put all the used gun behind the counter. Would be ok if maybe you could read the price and details from 8 feet away. Used gun shopping is more seeing what they got. New guns, I will ask if they have the gun, cause I expect them to have it.

If you want a t-shirt, that says Gander Mtn, place to go.

I agree that competition is good and there might have been some merit in having Gander Mountain stay open so as to encourage its competitors to keep their prices low. But Gander's prices were so much higher than its competition (Academy Sports, say) that I am not sure that potential benefit was operative.

I stopped by my local Gander's a week ago or so to see if there was anything worth buying. There wasn't. They keep sending me emails bragging on their big (up to) 40% off liquidation sale, so I foolishly decided to spend part of my Sunday afternoon today on a return visit.

What did I find but a sign on the door that said "Store Closed Due to Inventory". When you looked in through the door, most of the lights were off and there was nobody to be seen.

Gander Mountain, Bah Humbug and Good Riddance! They manage to find a way to screw you even when you don't buy anything and even when you don't go in the store.

I bought 2 S&W shield magazines for $21.00 each, not a great price but fair. The kicker is they were originally marked $44.99 I guess they were 55% off. I could not find ANY other store not even Bass Pro or Mark's, an outrageously priced local store, that sells them for more than $39.99. Gander Mt is a good riddance. I hope Dick's, Field & Stream, Bass Pro soon follow. I don't like Jeff Bezos's politics but I do love Amazon's prices.

Midway had many of their SW mags on sale a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a mag each for a Shield, M&PC, and a 3913, all for about $23 each.

Our local gander mt is closing also, i never shopped there due to the prices. A LGS always had better prices and that was where I spent my money.

Our local gander mt is closing also, i never shopped there due to the prices. A LGS always had better prices and that was where I spent my money.

Seems to be a common theme, especially about their pricing. Mine is getting the inventories from the closing stores, so no great deals.

Brick and mortar stores are going away. Bass Pro bought Cabelas... a huge mistake. Months later the purchase/merger still hasn't happened and may not ever.

Midway Arms is the way to go. Graf & Sons is not far behind. No retail stores... none, nada. Low shipping and free pick up is the new model. Don't think so? Ask Amazon...

I've been at the local GM several times after I saw the going out of business sign a few weeks ago after I got back from a business trip to china. The only thing in store I found remotely interesting was a used HK USP 40 compact that was being sold for more than 100usd less than the other used HK compacts because it didn't have the original case and was missing a mag. Paid less for it than anywhere else I'd been looking.

Too bad summitgunbroker doesn't have any of their 16usd mags in stock :(

Too bad I ended up later buying (from somewhere else) one of those s&w 9mm m&p shields with the current ridiculous sales and rebates going on now. Both guns are quality but the shield was almost half as much and has a better trigger...

This is about the Gander Mountain just south of Forest Lake MN.

First thing I see walking into the store is a 'NOW HIRING' sign and job applications....I asked a clerk and found out this GM might not close just change names.

Found "discounted" 115 grain 9mm for just under $18 box of 50.

That was typical of the firearms related stuff. Maybe the clothes were cheap.

There were very, very few clerks in the store. One poor guy had the whole firearms section and he was frazzled even though there weren't many customers.

I found a 'used' Ruger LCP for $152. It looked like it had never even been fired but it was the original LCP with the dash in the serial number and the nonexistent sights...that would make it pretty old but again I don't think it had even been shot. Passed on the deal even though I was slightly tempted.

There aren't many remaining open - those that stay will be called Gander Outdoors, IIRC - mine is one of them. "LIQUIDATION SALE" all over the store with "New Merchandise Arriving Daily" - seems the liquidator is sending stuff from closing stores to the few staying open.

Big WUP.............

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

Their "liquidation" pricing is still higher than almost anywhere else. I walked into a Gander store yesterday, had about 15 minutes of laughing as I browsed the gun racks, then left.

I stopped by the Gouger Mountain "local" (45 miles) to me a couple weeks ago., just to see if pricing on anything in their "going out of business" sale was sane.

Nope.

Example 1)Plain old Glock 19 magazine, 20% off the regular price of .......... $42.

Example 2)Plain old XD40 magazine, 20% off the regular price of ..... $44.

Boring old Midway USA has them for $25 for either. I could probably find an ebay vendor with that price and free shipping, if I tried.

The "soulless gun mall" ambiance I so dislike had become a "rundown and soulless gun mall" ambiance.

My bladder was nagging me, and there weren't restrooms where I remembered them being. So, "Where are your restrooms?" --moi.

"We don't have any. They broke down." -- lowly clerk

"What do you do? Never mind, don't answer that." --moi

Fold and die, Gander Mountain. I really don't care.

Just out of curiosity, I wandered into a Gander a few days ago just to check out their sale. They have signs outside "Going out of business...up to 40% off. The ammo was priced at 5% off....good buys like WWB 223's for 11.95 a box....whoopee!
I looked at a pair of camo pants that were 40% off and down to 99 bucks and change. Their management still doesn't have a clue.....
If they were the only option out there, I'd have to find another hobby..

FYI, I went yesterday.
Camo and hats/gloves were 50% off
Exterior clothing was all 20%-30% off
Guns 15% off (meh)
Ammo still overpriced.

Got some good deals, got some new camo to try out. I did hear a rumor for our local store that another gun shop was getting a loan to buy ALL the guns. But so far, the guns are still there.

Back