All Deer Hunters Please Take Poll!

When deer hunting do you use any type of mask for concealment?

• Always

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • Never

Votes: 99 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wear a beard and sit in a hemlock wearing blaze orange. They never see me. Now a scent mask I use sometimes. A little shot of buckbomb in the air after I walk in and a quick shot every hour or so.

BoogieMan: I do the same thing but I am clean shaven. Deer sometimes come so close to me that I shoo them away for fear they will take a fright and kick me or something. About 10 ft is as close as I let them get to me. But the grown bucks don't get that close. They are shot well before they get that close.

the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...

There are solutions to every single one of those problems, if you'll take the trouble to implement them ......

....... they might hear you talking, too, so why bother with noise discipline at all- bring your boom box, and rock out! Your scope has some shiny spots on it, too, so that disco ball you like so much will not matter at all, either ......

....or not.

Work on the problems instead of using them to justify further laziness.

-Laundry detergents are available with no scents or UV brighterners..... plain old Cheer did not have any, but I have not seen that in any stores lately....

-Don't smoke when hunting.

-Brush your teeth with baking soda after eating, and avoid foods that will make you stink up th' joint ...... garlic and beans are not good choices.

-Don't stand around an idling vehichle, and don your outer layers after you exit the vehichle ..... use a cover scent/scent killler .......

-Hunt into the wind.

Do these things and you'll see more deer before they see you.

No mask, no camo, no scent eliminator/cover (unless you want count bug spray), no special laundry soaps. Just me and my blue jeans and t-shirt.

I also smoke while out hiking and sitting over a clearing/wallow/game trail , talk with with my brothers while hunting, and shoot coyotes, cottontails, and grouse if they cross our paths (some grouse, cottontail, and squirrell in the Dutch oven really hits the spot after packing an elk a couple miles).

The deer, elk, and speedgoats don't seem to mind, as we still manage to fill the tags.

If may not be every bodies method of choice, but its worked for us for 25 years.

No, but I do put my clothing and gear in a trash bag with fir branches for a few days before season opens- and then again between hunts. I'm also covered in bug spray to keep the ticks (and Lyme Disease) away. So in the end I guess bagging my gear is just a ritual that enhances my anticipation.

In Ohio and I do during gun season, but not to hide my face. Sitting still my breath condenses on my upper lip and nose. Without something insulating my face it gets cold.

Yes, when I stalk(no tree stand) them late in the season I use a mask, a leafsuit and sometimes sunglasses as any kind of movement can get you busted.

Back