All Deer Hunters Please Take Poll!

When deer hunting do you use any type of mask for concealment?

• Always

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • Never

Votes: 99 58.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wear a face mask/net while archery hunting...sometimes rifle hunting too....It helps with conceilment and skeeters.......

I have used a net when the bugs are bad. Can't see well enough on a dark overcast days with a net. I can say that the glasses thing would be something for you to work on. I have had deer walk over and check them out. I use photo rays and they are dark enough so that the eyes can not be seen. I have also had squirrels, and a grouse walk up to check them out too. Develop something to hide glasses and then you would really have something. I usually sit in blowdowns or other cover during gun season and really don't move my head around much. I used to smoke a lot and wore brown cotton gloves. I noticed that really helped and made a big difference. Deer pick out your moving white hands over a hundred yards away. I guess if you bop your head around a lot a mask may be what you need. Since I started reading this Forum I now realize that the hunting areas really dictate what people use to hunt.

Depends upon the temperature: If it's in the teens, the only thing exposed will be my eyballs, while I'm sitting.

If it warms up to, say 80 F (which it has, in the first week of November, even- that's SW Nebraska for ya!), I'll be down to an orange ball cap and T-shirt...... and because the deer won't move in that heat (they can't take thier winter coats off), I have to go after them, which means hiking, often in thick stuff....... If I could find a way to wear shorts without getting all scratched up, I'd do it!

I have used a net when the bugs are bad.

I use one for turkey hunting, but by November, we've always had a killing freeze ..... never had bugs bother me.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501745&page=2

Being 10 ft off the ground in a enclosed stand. My stand has years on it sitting in one place. Year round. Local deer will eat right under the stand and pay no attention to it. New deer on the other hand wondering into the area for the first time are a bit curious as to what it is their looking at. They too over a short time grow use to the stand.
Anyway sitting in this stand for those few weeks a year I do {As for any type of mask for concealment?} Just a full grown beard is all I need for the purpose. Walking down a gravel road back to the deer camp or to the stand with a face looking like a lost Duck Commander's team member dressed in bright orange and smeared with camo grease pens or salve might seem a bit odd/weird to my local neighbors passing by in a vehicle. My 5 month grown yearly beard. That's enough face masking cover up for my needs.

S/S

When I hunt in woods with no enclosed stand I do. If I bow hunt in my climbing stand I do also. No need in a enclosed stand rifle hunting.

I never waste my time and money on masks for deer. I have been using scent killer bodywash for elk and bear but even then, the morning I killed my first black bear I walked right up on a pair of bears and I hadn't even showered that morning. scent is not nearly as big of a deal as camouflage and stealth.

I always use a face mask.

During warm weather I spray it down with "No Stinking Bugs" mosquito repellant, and it works well.

During cold weather I wear a camo ski mask.

Since I am clean shaven, and very caucasian, the only thing that hides my face from game is what I wear.

Works for me.

face mask is nothing to concealment. the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...

its kinda like the ruskies in the 80s designing the best most quite underwater hull design for an attack sub, and putting the nosiest propulsion system ever designed in it.

face mask is nothing to concealment. the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...

its kinda like the ruskies in the 80s designing the best most quite underwater hull design for an attack sub, and putting the nosiest propulsion system ever designed in it.

I can only assume that someone with that opinion has never been within bow range of a deer.

They most certainly do see your face, and they'll see your eyes if they're not covered and you make eye contact.

Most of us deer hunters go to great lengths to NOT smell like car exhaust and eliminate UV. I have been within a matter of feet of more deer than I could count.

I use a mask when it is cold but it is more for warmth than concealment. A thin wool surplus British balaclava paired with a warm hat works great for me if the temp doesn't get lower than the teens.

I do when the first part of our season starts, not really stalking much I just stalk to a good position and sit there, not stand or anything

when the real hunt starts with dogs I don't bother, that is mostly shotgun hunting so don't see the need for it.

Back