Alaska - Tell a cop that you have a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I don't see the big deal with just telling the officer about the weapon(s). They might even appreciate it and let you off with whatever they pulled you over for.

The big deal would be the cop taking your pistol, pointing it at all creation (moms with strollers, joggers, etc.), not understanding how it operates, turning it around like an ape on 2001 and then pointing it at my leg fingering it.

I'm not telling the cops I have a gun, ever. My safety trumps officer safety all day long.

The big deal would be the cop taking your pistol, pointing it at all creation (moms with strollers, joggers, etc.), not understanding how it operates, turning it around like an ape on 2001 and then pointing it at my leg fingering it.

Sounds like a whole bunch of CCWers:rolleyes:

I'm not telling the cops I have a gun, ever. My safety trumps officer safety all day long.

With all due respect, having read your posts for all these years, I truly doubt thats your reason.

So riddle me this..... you get pulled over by an Officer YOU KNOW is a firearms instructor. You gonna worry about your safety then?:cool:

WildyouraveragecophasmoretrainingthanyouraverageccwerAlaska ™©2002-2010

Cops can read you better than you can read them!

First off, most LEO's are not idiots and any with a bit of experience, can read you better than you them. I routinely work with a retired police Chief and he claims he can read the average person in about five minutes. So, if you choose to play guessing games with him, for the most part, you are out of your league. One time I had a cop pull me over and found his approach interesting and hand on his gun. After checking my license and proof of insurance, he asked me if I was carrying a gun. I said no and that was the truth. I asked him why he asked and he said that my Remington hat and Ruger button on my vest, was telling him something. Glad I didn't have any NRA bumper stickers. ..... ;)

So, why not just be up front with him and let him know you have a permit to carry. You don't have to yell it out, just give him the coutesy of the information. What is the big deal??

By the way, back in my Navy days, I did meet one idiot cop out of Columbia Couth Carolina that did not care for servicemen, let alone, a Sailor who drank to much Colt-45. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Sounds like a whole bunch of CCWers

Don't have those here, but that was an Indianapolis cop that recklessly endanger everyone in the neighborhood, including my leg. (Oh, btw, I was stopped for obeying the law).

So riddle me this..... you get pulled over by an Officer YOU KNOW is a firearms instructor. You gonna worry about your safety then?

Cop instructor? Maybe, depends.

But I'm not going to tell him so I don't have to worry about me or my fellow citizens when he waves the gun about the world.

What is the big deal??

That would be the cop shooting me out of his ignorance.

While Colorado doesn't require that you volunteer the information, I've heard from a few LEO's that they've given some they stopped only a warning simply because the driver volunteered the information and they appreciated the respect shown to them.

We invite the area LEOs out to our private range to shoot for free as 'community good will' and talking to them they all seem to agree that persons legally carrying firearms get a bit more respect than the average Joe as they're considered to be 'one of the good guys'.

The gun I had pointed in my face...

...was an S&W .40, wasn't paying that much attention to the caliber, just the fact that the cop was so jacked he had his finger hard on the trigger and he was shaking way too much for my peace of mind.

When I said "sir, you don't have to keep pointing that gun at me" he screamed "don't ****ing threaten me to put my ****ing gun down". I said I'm not threatening you at all but you are really starting to worry me. It seemed like every time I tried to calm him down he was acting like I was giving him an excuse to shoot me.

There isn't a chance I'd have interjected with a polite little, "sir, I have a gun"

I have to agree with the minority here, and say that a policeman is just a person and can have bad morals or poor judgment just like anyone else. For the most part they are good, and are on the right side.
I had one bad experience that I will breifly cover, one night we had an altercation with some guys and the police were called. There was a scuffle and in the end we got no trouble for the incident. While we were talking to the officer, he asked to see my ID which was obviously in my pocket. When I reached for my ID he reacted with a pistol pointed at me, screaming for me to get on the ground. Not at all how an officer of the law should react in my opinion. My point is that Poiliceman are just people and an have issues and biases just like anyone else.
In the end, all you can trust is your family or your self.

Don't have those here, but that was an Indianapolis cop that recklessly endanger everyone in the neighborhood, including my leg. (Oh, btw, I was stopped for obeying the law).

I see you are therefore acting based on the theory of quondam opes totus

But I'm not going to tell him so I don't have to worry about me or my fellow citizens when he waves the gun about the world.

But shouldnt everyone else worry about you based on the way you worry about him? Isnt that philospohically consistent with your worldview?:cool: If so I assume you support the stricktest of all possible CCW laws

Not a movie fan then?

WildidntknowyournamewashalAlaska ™© 2002-2010

I've had several encounters with AST in the past few years. All have been due to AST checking my licenses/harvest tickets/duck stamps/etc while hunting/fishing. On most occasions, I've just calmly held my jacket open so the Trooper can plainly see my handgun on my hip as he walks up. All responses have been "Yep, I see it, just don't reach for it."

I figure they're more worried about the loaded .45/70, 12ga, .308, .260, or .30/06 in my hand than the handgun I'd have to draw from concealment.

I was pulled over by MILPOL once though. He saw me re-entering my lane after being in his momentarily to avoid killing a doe and her baby. The deer ran off and he never saw them, so he was pretty curious why I was in his lane... As soon as I was stopped, I put the truck in park and put my hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 with my palms open, facing me (and him). First words out of my mouth were

"I am carrying a concealed handgun on my left hip, left hip. What would you like me to do?" (Yes, I said left hip twice. My wallet is in my right back pocket and I want to make sure he don't forget where the gun is.) He answered with "Ok, no problem, just don't reach for it and we'll be okay."

It ended with a verbal warning.

I know that many people are scared of "big brother" knowing any little shred of info about you, your daily actions, what your favorite color is, and what-not... But let's be realistic here folks. It is not unreasonable for an officer's safety for them to know if you have a deadly weapon on or about your person. Offer that information freely, clearly, and without reservation at the beginning of your encounter with a LEO and set their minds at ease. If they know that you have a weapon and you freely offered that information to them, you're likely not a threat and they can probably treat you as such.

FWIW, I ask the master of the vessel as soon as I'm on-board if there are any weapons on-board. There always are and they always tell me the exact location. We secure the weapon(s) until the boarding is concluded and then return them, no harm, no foul. Officer safety: It's important to me, regardless of which of us is wearing the badge that day.

KSFreeman said:
My safety trumps officer safety all day long.
Despite your arrogance, I am compelled to inform you that any and all LEOs believe that the exact opposite is true. Unfortunately for others that share your opinion on the matter; the law of the land tends to favor the LEO in this debate.

Last edited:
Despite your arrogance, I am compelled to inform you that any and all LEOs believe that the exact opposite is true. Unfortunately for others that share your opinion on the matter; the law of the land tends to favor the LEO in this debate.

Laws can be changed.

My safety trumps the safety of a citizen with a badge. Trust me. I've have been pulled over, officer inept taking possession of my 1911. Looking like a monkey doing a math problem to take the msg out and clear the chamber, while pointing the gun at me and across several lanes of traffic.

If I an legally carrying my weapon, and stopped for any infraction, I should not have to tell the popo I have a legally carried firearm. Officer safety is BS. It's the same excuse of "it's for the children".

My safety trumps the safety of a citizen with a badge.

Hes a citizen too, is held to the same or higher standards than you, he poops and has a family just like you and he wants to go home to his wife and kids just like you.

I've have been pulled over, officer inept taking possession of my 1911. Looking like a monkey doing a math problem to take the msg out and clear the chamber, while pointing the gun at me and across several lanes of traffic.

Same response as to KS Freeman above.

Here let me be blunt:p again: I question whether folks who DELIBERATELY put themselves in a scenario where tensions can escalate should be carrying guns.

Especially in light of the fact that Officer Jerry Jackboot is far more likely to be killed in a traffic stop by Mr. Bad Boy Civilian Guncarrier,than you are by him. And he doesnt know if you are bad brother, Bad Boy, instead of good brother Good Boy, until he evaluates his hinkeymeter by your affect, demeanor and veracity. And then your ID.

Take off the tricorns boys and join the real world of 21st century reality.:rolleyes:

WildlookslikeweargoingroundandroundagainonthisAlaska ™©2002-2010

Last edited:
WildAlaska lives in Alaska. By law he must inform the officer. We know his story and his legal obligation. For the rest of us, where there is no responsibility to declare your weapon upon an unrelated traffic stop, each stop if going to be different.

I was once pulled over by a RI State Trooper because I had no muffler. He asked me if I knew that my muffler was gone. I said yes (as if I did not notice the loud noise coming from under the car), it fell off last week and I had an appointment next week to have the whole exhaust system replaced. I was totally lying. The muffler fell off six months ago and I was waiting to see how long I could go before a cop stopped me and gave me a ticker or warning.

This cop told me to get it fixed and let me go- no paperwork involved. I was not carrying at the time but should I have told this guy (in the rain), "Oh, and by the way, want to play with my gun?". It does not seem prudent.

Depends on the trooper. If he doesn't want a complicated traffic stop I relieve him from the complication.
If he is looking for a gun then I tell him.
What am I missing here? You think a patrolman is stupid or something?
Why did he pull you into a traffic stop?
That is the question.

When a cop doesn't look at every stop as potentially life threatening, it's time to get a desk....

When I have to give a LEO my driver's license, I automatically include my CWP, if I'm carrying. IT'S A COURTESY...'nuff said...
If he can't appreciate that, and flips out, then perhaps he should rethink his career choice...

Here in AZ it is not a requirement to disclose possession of the firearm unless asked.

With that said, in the 2 years that I have lived in this great state, I have been pulled over 4 times(black camaro - cop magnet). Each and every time, I immediately told the officer that I have a CCW and I have my sidearm with me.

Each time the officer 'talked guns' with me for 10 minutes before letting me off with a warning. I was treated as an equal, with respect. This is not something I was accustomed to in IL(without carrying a gun).

First incident was speeding - Let go.

Second Incident was expired tags - let go.

Third Incident was expired tags - let go. (these were about a month apart and I just hadn't bothered to go get my emissions test done yet)

4th Incident was speeding - let go.

Thus far, in my 2 years as an Arizona resident... I have found that being upfront and honest, along with having that CCW card - really shows the officer that you are not a criminal, you are a stand-up citizen.. and they are, obviously, much more willing to cut you a break if the view you as a 'friend'.

He asked me if I knew that my muffler was gone. I said yes (as if I did not notice the loud noise coming from under the car), it fell off last week and I had an appointment next week to have the whole exhaust system replaced. I was totally lying. The muffler fell off six months ago and I was waiting to see how long I could go before a cop stopped me and gave me a ticker or warning.

I rest my case.

WildlookingfortroubleAlaska ™©2002-2010

Here in AZ it is not a requirement to disclose possession of the firearm unless asked.

Exactly. The trooper pulled you over for a speeding ticket or light out or some other.
So follow through.

If he asks you about a weapon you tell him. Why not?

Why is this such a problem?

Oh. I figured it out. Some state troopers expect you'll be armed for good reason and this won't be a problem.

I guess NY and other states are real problems.
I ain't a Yankee from New York City!
Sorry that chaps hides.

If you live in NY or NY City you are a peon.

Uncle Malice

:D
That sounds familiar, the one time I was pulled over (broken taillight) I gave the deputy my DL and CCW, I don't have to in Virginia. He thanked me asked where it was, I told him on my belt right hand side, he told me to keep my hands on the steering wheel. When he ran my info he told me what it was about and after 20 minutes talking guns:p thanked me for informing him and bid me a nice day.

I was talking to a trooper who boards his horse with me and he asked why I CC, I simply told him...

"I've never found 'cup a cop' in the store"
He looked at me funny and I told him
"Its like 'cup a noodles' but when you add water you get a cop

He laughed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back