Alaska - Tell a cop that you have a gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxjeff

I was told by an Alaskan Trooper that if you are pulled over or approached in the wilderness for any reason, and have a gun you are required to tell the trooper that you have a firearm in the car or on your person. Is this correct?

I know there are a couple of guys from Alaska on this forum and was wondering if they have anything to ad to this?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that is correct. I believe that kraigwy was an Anchorage cop for many years and would have an iron-clad answer.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alaska.pdf
Page 3 toward the bottom

A person 21 or older may be charged with Misconduct involving Weapons in the 5th degree under AS11.61.220 if s/he
· fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun

· fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of thepeace officer.

I realize this is the law in many jurisdictions, but, quite frankly, I've never understood the logic behind the law. Officer safety? Since I don't pose a threat to a police officer, why do I need to inform him/her that I have a gun? So I can be hassled by the officer if he/she isn't knowledgeable in the law or doesn't like the fact that citizens have the right to be armed? Those who do pose a threat to a police officer aren't going to disclose that they're carrying. Seems to me this is just another "feel good" law that has no practical value and carries with it the potential for abuse.

In my opinion and what I have seen is that in my state if you tell a police officer you are carrying or have a gun in the vehicle you get ridiculed and treated similar to an ex felon. I know this varies state by state and I know police officer safety is a huge issue but carrying shouldn’t make you automatically a bad dangerous person.

It is legally required to notify a peace officer upon contact if a deadly weapon is concealed upon the person in the state of Alaska.

AS 11.61.220a1A states: A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon other than a ordianary pocket knife that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer.

Violation of AS 11.61.220a1A is a class B Misdemeanor, puishable by up to 3 months in jail.

It is not required by law to notify a peace officer of firearms in the vehicle, only if concealed on the person. It is courteous though to notify them of any firearms in the vehicle.

Excuse me, but I don't understand why it's "courteous" to inform a police officer that I'm legally carrying a firearm. "Courtesy" in my book means being respectful and polite to the officer; it has nothing to do with informing the officer that one is carrying.

Unless the law explicitly states that you must inform the officer, it is generally not advisable to do so. If they pull you out of the car, then you gotta tell them ASAP because they are likely to frisk you. And if they do and you are carrying and did not tell them, things will go badly for you.

Since I don't pose a threat to a police officer, why do I need to inform him/her that I have a gun?

Good question. On a related topic, why can't a CCW carry a weapon in a school zone? Or a post office? Or a court house? After all, there are plenty of school shootings and a legal CCW might be able to slow a school shooter down, right? Nope. No guns. You can have a million background checks, psych tests, etc. But you are not allowed to carry on school grounds.

None of these laws make any logical sense. People are afraid of guns. Period. And they let fear rule their lives and our lives. And despite the fact they are cops, most cops, especially on the east coast, are TERRIFIED of guns.

It's courtesy because if he catches a glimpse of your gun, and you haven't informed him of it, things may go bad quick. Telling him you're carrying and have the proper permit makes things easier, just in case.

Not only the law but common courtesy requires it
The logic here is that most folks who carry guns or want to transport guns, are mostly confused if not ignorant of each state's laws. Why not take the guess work out of it and just provide this information.

In our state, you are only required to provide such information at the direct request/demand of the LEO and that is how the law reads. On some other documentation that is not part of the law, it states that as a coutesy, it is good information to volunteer.

If and when I do carry, I will do so, again, as a courtesy. ..... ;)

Fellas, just do your best, in your own best ways ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

ccSnoopycc said:
In my opinion and what I have seen is that in my state if you tell a police officer you are carrying or have a gun in the vehicle you get ridiculed and treated similar to an ex felon.

I realize the question was posed about the great state of Alaska, but it is also the law in Texas. I have been stopped twice while armed and immediately informed the officer that I was licensed and armed. In neither case did the officer treat me any differently than in any other stop. They didn't ask me to get out, keep my hands in view, remove the weapon, etc.

They also gave me a warning, instead of a ticket, and told me to "have a nice day."

Maybe it's that "licensed" thing.

Crazy88Fingers said:
It's courtesy because if he catches a glimpse of your gun, and you haven't informed him of it, things may go bad quick.

Therein lies the problem...you are legally carrying, but if the officer somehow ascertains that you have a gun and didn't tell him about it, you're in trouble. But if you had told the officer, everything's cool (hopefully). What great benefit does society gain from a law like this, which criminalizes otherwise lawful behavior? The same thing is true of laws that criminalize carrying in a school zone, a post office or other "prohibited" area. It ain't the criminals that get caught by those "gotcha" laws, it's ordinary citizens who either forgot or didn't know about the law. And that serves no societal purpose...

What great benefit does society gain from a law like this, which criminalizes otherwise lawful behavior?

Officer safety.

WildnevercouldunderstandtheproblemwithlawslikethiscopsareonoursideAlaska ™©2002-2010

I have actually had enough interactions while carrying, that I have lost count. :) My state, Ga, does not require disclosure, but, I do it anyway. My guns are always checked, and then given back. Nice, if you have a stolen gun out there and want it back someday. I have been checked by County, GSP, and city cops. Never a problem. Usually makes for a nice chat, and though I doubt that it is a factor, I don't always get ticketed.

The last State Trooper wanted my insurance, told him it was under my pistol. He said is the pistol holstered? Yes, He said to just move it out of the way. It was never mentioned again. I guess that it depends on a lot, like one's attitude. Be combative, and ornery, and offended, and you might get a different reaction.

The horror stories abound, and some are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back