AK-47 or AR-15 or something else ?

Get the AR. Ammunition will be cheaper .....

Last time I looked, and nerly every other time, too, off the shelf 7.62x39 ammo was cheaper than comparable 5.56x45 ......

Cheapest by the box of 20 locally on Monday was steel cased Herter's x39 at $5.99, compared to $8.99 for comparable 5.56 .....

..... and you can sink all your spare change into mods.

What's with the gun accessory craze?

+1, WV!

Skizzums SKS certainly is different...... my first thought was a lefty shooter is going to get his teeth knocked out with that bolt handle ....

How much time and money do you have wrapped up in that, skiz?

AK 47 or AR 15, As a VN Vet I know both. AK's are good for throwing lead down range, but for accuracy I would look at the AR format in 308 Cal.

ya know gyvel, I never thought about it. like I said it was my first gun, I was only concerned about my barrel length not the overall length. I sold it, I dont have it here to measure, but I believe it was around 22" completed, I did add a couple inches with a muzzle brake, although not permanently attached. oh well, live and learn, guess whoever owns it now could put a fake can on it.

I got an unconverted Saiga, then an AK, then an SKS and finally an AR (and my Dad has a mini-14). Still have the AK and AR and I've run them both through little range run-n-gun competitions. I've had zero failures with the AR and 1 with the AK. I've shot the AR with optics and irons and the AK only with irons; the AR is more accurate either way. With prices what they are, I'd go AR for better bang for your buck.

Psaw, they are both ugly.
Get a real American rifle - lever action.
If it was good enough for John Wayne, Chuck Connors and Steve McQueen.......

cant argue with that, thats y new baby, when i am shooting purely for fun, lever action is numero uno, and hi-point carbine comes second

you cant deny its beauty, and the best thing about it is the versatility of the ammos you can run through it, i can come up with all kinds of weird loads for this thing, anywhere from 120gr to 200+, lots of fun and super accurate for a no fuss gun

Its really a toss-up between the 2. Pick one and have fun.

Now If you want my personal recommendation, I always suggest an AR15 first if you have never owned either rifles. Reason being is that ammo is easy to find, the rifle is easy to accesories and configure to your taste, the ergonomics is more shooter-friendly, and it is fairly accurate if you know how to shoot. Building an AR15 is also much easier than building an AK if you go that route. For around $1k I recommend a Colt6920 or a Spikes Tactical M4.

If you have an inclination to the Kalashnikov instead, I suggest a Saiga47 (converted) or possibly an Arsenal AK if you can find one in your price range.

Back