air guns

A friend of mine has several airsoft guns with AR style mags. Watching him load the mags using a thumb and a funnel, I had this brilliant idea. Note: I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer with a everlasting craving to design things. I am now about 80% finished with the design of a Rube Goldberg mechanism (without fans, birds, mice etc.). This device will totally replace the "thumb and funnel". I've told him about my gizmo loader and he wants to build one. It's got to be a great conversation piece.
I'll provide pictures when complete.
Dean

I've been getting into shooting air guns for the past 2 years now. I bought a .22 Diana Chaser and a .22 Hatsan Bullboss pcp rifle mainly for pest control. Air guns are also the only guns I have to shoot since I moved to Massachusetts. I left all my firearms in another state since most are illegal here. Surprisingly Massachusetts doesn't regulate air guns other than having to be at least 18 to buy one.

The Diana isn't as accurate or as powerful as I would like but its good for close range. The Hatsan is very accurate and has plenty of power but it is heavy. I use both to keep the squirrels and wood chucks under control but there seems to be no end to the chipmunks.

I haven't been into air guns since my teens and it amazes me how much they have advanced in capabilities. Full auto, short barreled rifles, silencers, calibers up to .50, and a lot of power are easy to find now. They are a lot more deadly and it wouldn't surprise me if Massachusetts started regulating them like firearms.

candr44 said:
I haven't been into air guns since my teens and it amazes me how much they have advanced in capabilities. Full auto, short barreled rifles, silencers, calibers up to .50, and a lot of power are easy to find now. They are a lot more deadly and it wouldn't surprise me if Massachusetts started regulating them like firearms.

Don’t give them any ideas. LOL I knew that the power was increasing on air rifles, but this is a lot more than I was expecting: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex_Hammer_50_PCP_Air_Rifle/4336

It fires a .50 cal projectile at 1000 FPS and has a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds. That is easily lethal power. The cost of ammo goes up significantly above .25. You’d also better have your own compressor as well since you don’t get too many shots per fill with these big bore guns.

Last edited:
I have multiple "BB" and pellet guns. Be very mindful of what you use as a target! A round BB ricochets easily (you'll shoot your eye out).

Double K said:
More and more companies are realizing the issue with ricocheting bb's, here's one that should be much better than the old steel bb's.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Air_V..._1_500_ct/1477

Seems like a good idea. @ $9.99 for 1500, it’s 125% more than the copper plated BBs of the same pack size. You can also get 6000 copper plated BBs for the same price as the frangible BBs. I guess it is one of those “do it if you have to”, but the price is still a bit steep. Just wear safety glasses and be aware of what you are shooting at.

It fires a .50 cal projectile at 1000 FPS and has a muzzle energy of 700 foot pounds. That is easily lethal power. The cost of ammo goes up significantly above .25. You’d also better have your own compressor as well since you don’t get too many shots per fill with these big bore guns.

I dig airguns. I love the innovation etc. that said, at least in this country, I have a hard time seeing the utility of super powerful airguns. If I want to hunt I can pretty much amble into any guns shop in any state in the union and pick up a passable .308 bolt gun and glass or a 12 gauge and have far more versatility, far cheaper. I get the giggle factor. TRUST ME I GET THE GIGGLE FACTOR. :). But they are a hard sell in my opinion.

For me airguns shine as safe low powered shooting pretty much anywhere or discreet, inexpensive pesting. Again that is for me personally I am not telling others they are wrong or I am right.

I live in the suburbs and must pay attention to sound when dispatching backyard varmints like red squirrels and shrubbery eating rabbits.
Right now I am using a Gas piston Benjamin Trail in .22 cal. My groups from 35'-65' are all quarter-sized and since the vast bulk of my shooting is well within those parameters this thing does the job very well. Keeping the caliber as large as possible and the velocity as low as possible goes a long way to mitigating noise. Well below 1000 fps will do the job just fine.
Things to remember, test a variety of pellets, Shape may not determine accuracy. Do not dry fire any airgun. Get a quality airgun scope. Check your mounting screws on a regular basis. Spring and gas piston guns are very hard on scopes.

If you buy a break barrel gun, make sure you never allow the barrel to slip out of your hand while cocking. You will put a permanent bend in the action rendering the gun to the spare parts department in your workroom. Don't ask me how I know.

Back