Advice on a do it all shot-gun

Bottom eject is not an issue for shooting clays, just catch the empty when you dismount.
My SBT has an ejector, when I break it open I just grab the empty as the ejector pops it out. Don't restrict the ejector, allow it to deliver the empty to your hand and no worries.
My club lets us pick up our empties, I'd rather not bend over.

I don't think the OP is going to be worried about reloading AA or Nitro hulls and saving every one. I decided a long time ago not to get into shotgun reloading. By the time you buy all the components, you might as well buy promotional loaded ammo. Only if you load high dollar hunting loads does it make sense and if you don't shoot a lot of high dollar hunting loads it still doesn't make sense. Some are obsessing about auto vs pump. While autos are great, they don't always function right with lower powered rubber buck or bean bag rounds. It may not be a concern for the OP but pumps are always more versatile than autos. I agree the inertia driven Stogers offer a lot for the money but so does a Mossberg 500. Some are wedded to the 870. It is more difficult to reach forward to release the carrier than to reach back behind the trigger like with the mossberg. We each have our preferences. Ithaca 37s have the carrier release in an easy to reach comfortable place but some think the traditional crossbolt safety is not as good as a top tang safety. All these choices could be fine for a multiple purpose shotgun as long as it's reliable, not overly long and he has a variety of ammo to shoot. Heck for most people who are not dedicated duck hunters or required to shoot steel shot even a Mod or Full fixed choke 2 3/4 chambered classic can serve just fine as a do it all shotgun.

Arguing about Remingtons vs Mossbergs is dumb. Either one works; the rest is just personal preference. If you get a Mosssberg with the plastic safety button, change it to a metal one. I used to have a box of those things. ANY other pump gun is a distant second place, UNLESS you prefer the extra weight and different feel of a Browning BPS.
I am a retired gunsmith. The worst enemy of any semi auto is the nut behind the buttstock. Unless you plan to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the workings of a semi auto, get a pump.

Last edited:
Are there extension shell tubes available for the Mossberg 500? I was thinking about having some fun getting into 3-gun this coming summer.

Also, I like tang safeties because my center fire rifles are Savages. Which auto loader shotguns besides the Mossberg have tang safeties?

If it is a pump I think I'll go with the 500.
If it is an autoloader ideally an inertia gun with tang safety: does such a thing exist?

Last edited:
What's the concern with the safety? For competition you do not load until you are ready to shoot and then unload any before you leave the station. In the field is one thing, targets/competition is another. Get the gun that fits.

Sure, I was hoping to get one gun that is a jack of all trades (master of none is ok as I am not an experienced shotgunner), and trying to weigh the tradeoffs of each alternative.

As I am used to Savage tang safeties, I'd like to stay with the same type. The Moss 500 is looking like the most reasonable alternative for me.

Since you like tang safeties, then the two that pop into my head are the Mossberg family and the Browning BPS.

IF you want to really have 1 shotgun for all purposes, you will need to be able to invest in different length barrels, and accept that it will do all things decently, but nothing perfectly.

Personally, I can live with that. IF I had to have only 1 shotgun, and pump was allowed, I'd probably stick to the Rem 870 Super Magnum with 28" barrel. I could use any 2 3/4" or 3" barrel for a regular 870 on it- like a SD barrel, or a cantilevered rifled barrel for mounting scopes and hunting deer, or a 24" SuperMag barrel for brush, or find an older 2 3/4" 30" barrel for trap.

The same goes for the Mossbergs. I believe the 535 is the 3.5" version of the 500, and I think you can swap any 2 3/4 or 3" barrel onto it- but I don't KNOW that.

I do know this is possible with the 870 SuperMagnum.

IF you buy a used Mossberg- get the newest one you can. Before around 1971, they only had 1 action bar [like Winchester Model 12, Ithaca 37, and a host of others], but they now have a 2 bar system [like Rem 870]. The newer it is, the fewer issues with parts replacement.

I really don't like shooting 3 1/2" shells. 4 of them makes my shoulder feel like 40-50 2 3/4" shells, or about 15-25 3" shells.

Yet, it is better to have the capacity and not need it- if you can only have 1 shotgun.

Now, I agree: variety is better.

Yet, you can make the spouse happy by having 1 shotgun, and make yourself happy with 4 different barrels to make it a jack of all trades.

Or, teach her the value of the right tool, and get 4 different shotguns!

Darkgael, the Ithaca 37 is a great shotgun. However, I've replaced and repaired [different ones] the stocks on them. They are thin in the head area. I would say a bit better than a sidelock SxS shotgun, but- very thin.

If the Ithaca 37 was made since around '65 or so, it probably is ok for steel shot- as long as it has either rotoforged barrel or threaded choke.

Yet- I'd keep it for upland hunting and range fun- but not 500+ rounds a month range use like some with OU seem to do, or duck loads. I know they made a deerslayer version for hunting, but the wooden stock is still thin.

Keep in mind that you can't add a magazine tube extension to the 37- if that matters. You have to be content with 4+1. The Mossberg has the same issue.

If we are talking fixed choke old-timey shotguns, I love the look/feel of the Ithaca 37, and I also love the Winchester Model 12 [which you can add a special follower/spring and convert back to it's 1912 design of 6+1].

With the Ithaca 37, you can buy replacement barrels. Yet, there aren't as many options as there are for Mossberg/Rem870, and there aren't as many choke options for them.

Yet- for the OPs purpose- I'd recommend something with steel shot capability and replaceable barrels that don't require timing marks or special tools.

I have been gone a long time and when I check back, the same questions are put that field the same answers. I still get by on my 870, with both an 18" and a 28" barrel, and the Browning Citori XS Skeet. Both 12 gauge. Go
FITASC.

Back