Advice on a do it all shot-gun

I could get by just fine with a 12 gauge 1100 26" BBL with screw in chokes. If I just had to have a shorter barrel, they're as common as dirt.

Do-all

I think the OP is on the right track with a pump. A manually operated repeater, theoretically, a GOOD pump should be 100% reliable and less finicky than an autoloader.

In my book that leaves two choices, the Rem 870 family, and the Mossbergs.
-The Rem 870 family has two branches, the 870 Wingmaster, and the 870 Express. The Wingmaster has a longer history and is seen as their flagship pump. Early guns were blued steel and walnut, with fixed shokes, and did not have choke tubes, although that feature was added eventually. (more on that later). The 870 Express cuts some corners in wood and finish and some internals, and is more of a recent pricepoint gun. Many believe the Wingmaster is better constructed/fitted and the better gun of the two and I'm inclined to agree.

The Mossberg family has several models as noted. The Moss 500 is their bread and butter gun and has been around a long time.
Early guns had fixed chokes. and again, tubes came later. Early Moss 500's were 2-3/4" chambered, then 3" when the bigger shell hit the market. The Moss 535 is essentially a Moss 500 that has been adapted to chamber and fire the even bigger 12 gauge 3.5" shell. The Moss 835 is similar, but w/ added features to allow the firing of the big 3.5" shell more comfortably. If you are not a dedicated waterfowl or turkey hunter, you will not need the 3.5" chamber in your shotgun and can nix the 535/835 from your choices. Truth is, you likely don't need the 3" shell either. The Moss 590 is a a dedicated SD/HD/LE shotgun, a beefed Moss 500 up for rugged use. I am not aware that it is available in any barrel length except short 18.5-20" versions intended for SD, and I believe all use an extended 7-8 shot magazine.

Barrels- Sporting versions of the Rem and Moss come with interchangeable barrels and all sporting guns now have choke tubes. Choke tubes are metal cylinders of varying constriction that thread into the muzzle of the gun and effect the size of the shot pattern, or cloud, as it travels to the target. Though criticized earlier, an acceptable length for a GP pump shotgun barrel is 28". The 24" barrels are handier, but are thought to be a bit of a compromise when shooting at flying game due to a shorter sight plane and lighter weight, effecting swing. My old Remington has a matched set of 26" barrels, with fixed chokes, and I see it as ideal, but I do not think Rem offers a 26" barrel and their future as a gunmaker is now unknown.

Given the murky feature of Remington, I'd get a Mossberg 500 w/ 28" barrel and 3 choke tubes (IC, Mod and extra/ turkey full). Standard 2-3/4"* 1 oz* 12 ga lead shot shells with #5 or #6 lead shot will solve about all your sporting shotgun needs for starts. If the world ever gets sane again, a short slug tube can be had for around $100 bucks and buckshot or slugs for deer or SD. should you want one.

As much as I love my Wingmaster, (and the express that works just as well) it's not the best choice for skeet or other competitive shooting games.

A manually operated repeater, theoretically, a GOOD pump should be 100% reliable and less finicky than an autoloader.

In my book that leaves two choices, the Rem 870 family, and the Mossbergs.
Thank you Sir for taking the time to write such a well written and informative reply.
It is much appreciated.

Until you short shuck it and jam a shell on the lifter or the shell expands and locks it up. A pump is no more reliable than a good semi; its main advantage is that it is cheap.

With a Remington that chances of a shell slipping back under the lifter and jamming up the works during a reload is high on older guns. There is a redesigned lifter on newer guns with a shall catch on them. The mossbergs don't have that problem since the lifter is up until you pump. While you can short stroke a pump, few people who hunt and shoot clays regularly will make that mistake. People who short pump are not really shooters.

The shotgun I used as a teenager in the 1980s was a Mossberg 500 marketed by Montgomery Wards with Western Fields labelling.

It had a medium length barrel with a 2.75" chamber and an adjustable choke. No tubes to mess with, just rotate the knurled sleeve as desired.

For me it worked about as good as anyone could want in the "do all" role.

I do not shoot shotguns anymore, but that gun is still stashed away. I would not hesitate to pull it out if I had a reason.

My boy has a couple of the Remington 870 pumps. The Remingtons are good guns (possibly better than the Mossberg on average), but my old Mossberg is better (smoother / better feeding / more reliable) than either of of his examples.

And by the way, the pump shotgun has the best chance of achieving "the perfect outcome" in a HD situation. That sound of a round being cycled into the chamber is so well known and respected that the pump is more likely to to convince intruder(s) to depart before there is even visual contact.

Last edited:
OK

Alright...... please note the use of the word "theoretically" in my post. Operate near any firearm incorrectly and one may incur a failure. Feed any firearm cheap ammo (as in cheap shotshells) and the same is likely.

Pumps are long recognized as durable, affordable workhorses. Which was what the OP was inquiring regards. I have been to far to many 3Gun matches to see a wide variety of gas operated Remingtons stumble to equate the reliablity of an affordable gas gun with a good pump. Note too that the OP is indeed inquiring about a "jack of all trades" gun.

I have many shotguns. But one gun I have is the Mossberg Flex. This is a gun you can expand with as you grow. For example, I have the standard Hunting stock, a Tactical Stock and a pistol grip stock. I have a 18" barrel, two hunting barrels and a slug barrel.

As mentioned early put your hands on a Browning BPS if you can. All above mentioned are good shotguns, but for me the BPS is best. Fits me best and bottom eject is great at the trap field.

As mentioned early put your hands on a Browning BPS if you can. All above mentioned are good shotguns, but for me the BPS is best. Fits me best and bottom eject is great at the trap field.
A bottom eject is not so great at the trap field if like many trap clubs, if the empty hits the ground you are not allowed to pick it up. Unless of course there is some way to eject the empty into your hand.

For one shot at a time, that isn't an issue and at least your empties won't be heading towards your squadmate on your right. The Ithaca is also another good choice besides the 870, 500 and BPS.
Unfortunately, in the current political climate, even used pumps are getting scarce and expensive as panic takes hold and all shotgun ammo is now as hard to find as pistol ammo.

If I could only have one shotgun, it would be an inertia auto-loader. There are a bunch of them out there now that the Benelli patent has expired. Both of my boys have Stoeger M3000 platform shotguns with 24" barrels. Multiple top junior titles in 3Gun, 1000s of birds harvested, both have made All-State in Trap and one a state title. The older was offered college scholarships to shoot in College (he took the baseball offers instead) and the younger is on the same path. I've shot a 25 in trap with an 870 and an 18" barrel and with a BT99 and with a Golden Clays.

You might be able to find an M2 for under $1K, but you can certainly get a Weatherby Element, Franchi Affinity or Stoeger M3000 for under $1K. If you really want an all around shotgun, those would be my suggestions to consider.

In your situation, I would probably look for a Benelli Supernova or a Mossberg 500. I’d probably look for one with about a 26” barrel. Look for one with replaceable chokes so you have flexibility. Then I would look for an 18-1/2” barrel that would also make it handier for HD.

If you need to change LOP there are aftermarket stocks available for both, some offering features that reduce recoil.

Even limiting yourself, to one shogun, you can give yourself a lot of versatility.

For a decent shotgun, consider the ....

Winchester 1200 -to 1500 pump shotguns, they have proper weight for handling trap and skeet, the later models have the tube chokes the ealier had the "WINCHOKEs" for the barrel.

Remingtons, I am not fond of either current model as they are heavy, clunky and not a finish that has decent life [both stock finish and wood, especially the laminated stocks. [A friend was waterfowl hunting and he took a dip in the water, by the time got home and stripped the 870 it was rusting and the stock was swelling]. [PS 870 don't like swimming, they prefer to DIVE ,muzzle first!]

mossbergs 500 are decent and work, if you get an older model, check to determine if the top safety was changed to the steel one, and not the original plastic that has a proclivity to fall apart.
I have one that has the rifle barrel, 24"turkey barrel, 28" field barrels, [ both fixed choke and tube choke] and the .50 Cal ML barrel.

Ithacas are light to carry but really not for trap / skeet. Have proven themselve in WWI, WWII, Korea, & SEAsian wargame.
I have one that has the rifle barrel, 24"turkey barrel, 28" field barrels, [ both fixed choke and tube choke] and the .50 Cal ML barrel.

My home duty one is an 1897 Winchester, 12 ga, occasionally get take out for turkey and upland with a 30" barrel.

You decide which gauge, I have 12, 16's & 20.

Back