Advice Needed on My First Lever Gun

What the gun used for? Hunting get a .30-30. Toss plinkin into the mix look at the pistol caliber carbines, Marlin 1894 and Rossi. Want a scope? Marlin or '80s/'90 production Winchesters. Want one that shoots pointy bullets and shoots like a bolt action get a BLR.

Personally there is very few new production lever actions that I would touch. Luckily there are boat loads on the used market, look there.

Unless you NEED extra power find yourself a .22. Used = Winchester, Brownings and Marlins. New = probably Henry, maybe Marlin.

Gimme an old Marlin thuty thuty ;)

Mine is a 1952 Marlin 336RC that I traded a banjo I payed $80 for at a pawn shop a few weeks before :)
The rifle was marked $200 at another pawn shop...it was an easy trade!!
(I did a fair amount of cleaning & polishing to the banjo before trading...LOL)
gedc0065.jpg

gedc0057.jpg

Frankly, it is easier and less expensive to go grab a good used one from a pawn shop or gun store!!
$200-400, depending on condition!!

And if you don't like the modern crossbolt safety button (1983+), there's a kit so you can install a saddle ring in its place ;)

I was finishing a crib, that's why the Blue Can is in the pic and the funny slat marks are on the cardboard ;)

When I was 8 my old man bought me a pre-64 Win 30-30 Trapper's Rifle. It's the only gun I have used that has never, ever, not once, malfunctioned in any way. I keep it clean and it keeps me happy.

I don't have as much experience as a lot of the shooters on here, but for what it's worth I would not part with that gun for love or money. I beat the hell out of it; when I was a kid, teenager, and most recently marking cattle by horseback on the Rez in AZ. Not only does the gun not complain, it seems to like it. It's like sixty years of heavy use is just getting it warmed up. If you want a lever action that's going to work perfectly every time, I'd vote for the Win 30-30.

Best of luck

Back