Advice Needed on My First Lever Gun

I'd like to shoot something as close as possible to what was commonly used in the late 19th century, terms of caliber/chambering.

If you want historical accuracy as close as you can get without paying the price for an original get a Uberti 73 in 44-40, 38-40 or 32-20. The Rossi 92 is a good gun for really late in the century. If you want something with a more powerful caliber look around for a good used Winchester 94 top eject in 30-30. Forget about the modern Henry, they're nothing like what was used back in the day. The Marlin 94 is a decent gun but it comes in modern calibers.

jmortimer Is that a .405? I like that gun of your's.

Glad you asked - I should have identified it - Miroku made 8000 of 100 year models in 30-06 - half in Hi Grade like this one and half in Grade 1. All they're making now are in .405.

I stumbled on it on GA, called the dealer in Flint Michigan - couldn't believe the asking price - he agreed it was low but that was the asking price from some estate - some collector whose wife didn't like guns, I guess, and just wanted to unload it to settle his estate (he's probably still rolling in his grave) - long story short - I got it for less than the price listed in Gun Digest 1996 - NIB, unfired, with manual - some days things go so right it's unbelievable -

WINCHESTER95.jpg

It also shoots as good as it looks - I zeroed it at 25 yards to hit point of aim and "fine tuned" it at 100 yards for 2" above POA - all in less than one box of ammo - I make no claim to be a sharp shooter and that wasn't bench rest - it was "fist rest" - fist resting on range table. Solo shots were elbow rest -

W95100yds.jpg

I shoot it at least once a month - rotate it with other rifles (I shoot every week - being retired is great) - It sure draws a crowd out there.

Served a dual purpose also - my wife was begging me to tell her what I wanted for our 25th anniversary - so I "helped" her - we husbands should help our wives any way we can.

All she got was a little ring - and is convinced she got the best of the deal - women - gotta love'em ;)

That is quite a find, I mean your wife of course. 30-06 would be great all around caliber in that gun. Not much it could not do.

I'm going to guess you want a Cowboy Gun. I have a '73 clone in .45 Colt. All my Single Action Revolvers are .45s so I wanted a matching rifle. BTW, mine is the rifle, longer barrel. If you want a gun that was really popular and in a very common cartridge then the '73 in .44-40 is your best choice. If you reload, use a lead bullet and the gun will do about anything you'd want out of it out to about 125 yards. It's enough for game up to the size of WT Deer or a hog if you pick your shots. The '73 was the rifle carried by the Texas Rangers and most every other Peace Officer up until about 1900, some carried them well after WWI.

You might take a look at Cabela's. They have two limited edition Model 94s. They have 24" Octagonal Barrels. They are pricey.

I have two lever action rifles. A Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Win 94 in 44 mag. The marlin is comfortable to shoot. The 94 with 240 grain Hornady XTP loaded backed by 22.5 grains of WW296 has a healthy kick. Frankly, I prefer to shoot a 44mag pistol than the 94. Still is short handy and easily carried on horseback. The real cowboys out here in Eastern AZ nod appreciatively when they see it.

Put up wet is from horse riding. The full quote is "Rode hard and put up wet".

It means not cleaning the sweat off a horse after riding it. That's a bad thing to do and can damage the health of the horse.

The phrase has since become a colloquialism.

Tough as a German Tiger Tank - Marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 Wheelen.
I prefer older ones, as you can find 'em in almost any pawn shop for $200-400 ;)

Marlins are the best selling lever-action...the numbers speak for themselves...
even Winchester couldn't out-sell 'em...that's why they do collectables instead of shooters ;)

Since the switchover from CT to NY/KY, Marlin has been having issues with the new ones...
so its best to wait until their new CNC lines are settled down and making solid rifles again...
much like a first-year model of motorcycle or car...those first year models have QC issues that need to be ironed out...
so until Marlin gets it together on the new production lines...grab one of the old pre-2005 models that are as solid as Granite :)

Tough as a German Tiger Tank - Marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 Wheelen.I prefer older ones, as you can find 'em in almost any pawn shop for $200-400.

You mean .35 Rem don't you? The only two lever rifles I know capable of handling the length of the Whelen cartridge is the BLR and 1895 Winchester. The Marlin 336 as far as I know isn't big enough to handle the Whelen.

Marlins are the best selling lever-action...the numbers speak for themselves...even Winchester couldn't out-sell 'em...that's why they do collectables instead of shooters**

I think you're a little off with this statement as well, the Winchester 94 was the first commercial production rifle to sell over 7 million rifles. Current numbers put it north of 7.5 million before production in New Haven ceased. I don't think Marlin has produced those kind of numbers yet since the 336 has only been in production since 1948, 54 years behind the Winchester. The Marlin is only a better rifle IMO if you want to scope it, that is why sales numbers declined to where Winchester stopped regular production.

Since the OP wants a late 19th century rifle the Marlin wouldn't be on the list since it is middle 20th. The last lever rifle designed and produced in the 19th century was the 1899 Savage to the best of my knowledge. That was a rifle design well ahead of its time, and one worth considering as well.

Put up wet is from horse riding. The full quote is "Rode hard and put up wet".

It means not cleaning the sweat off a horse after riding it. That's a bad thing to do and can damage the health of the horse.

The phrase has since become a colloquialism.

Thanks Buzz.:cool:

"Put up wet"

Please explain.

Ye ain't from around heah air ye?

If you want historical buy a pre 64 Model 94 Winchester in 30/30 (30 WCF). There are lots of them out there and you can find a good one for not too much if you look around. I wouldn't be without one, in fact I have two.

I you want a pistol caliber I would buy the new Winchester (Miroku) Model 92 and even though the 44-40 is more historically correct, I would buy it in 45 Colt or I would look for a Browning B-92 (same gun made years ago) in .357 mag. I have one and I love it.

You mean .35 Rem don't you?

Or he might have meant the .356 Winchester. And you're right, Marlin rifles have never been chambered in .35 Whelen (to my knowledge, at least). And you're also right concerning the number of Winchester Model 94s made over the years. Millions and millions of them might have the collector's interest now following their unfortunate discontinuation (recently reintroduced but at pretty steep prices) but almost all of them were never intended to be anything but excellent hunting rifles.

My favorite rifle is a Rossi 92 in 357 magnum. Its a dream to shoot and will cycle absolutely any 38 or 357 ammo use. I love it. I can only speak for my rifle but I'd say its worth getting. Go with 44-40 for more historical accuracy.

If you want a traditional levergun for hunting or general purposes a pre 64 Winchester 94 in 30-30 would be a real solid choice.

Have you considered a Savage Model 99? They have a nice old fashioned look and are quality rifles. I used to hunt with one chambered in 300 Sav and it was a great dear rifle. Its semi retired now.

The Marlin 336 is a great rifle but it has a modern look to it that doesn't appeal to me.

Back