Votes: 22 6.2%
  • owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues

Votes: 198 55.5%
  • owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems

Votes: 95 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Taurus

I had a work partner that had a .44Taurus Raging Bull.He had to send it back to Taurus twice,I don't rember the problem,but the second time they sent him back a new gun.No problems sinse.I was buying a Ruger SP101 at a sport shop and found the cylender woulden't turn,brand new gun.they ordered another one and in less than a week I owned it.No problems sinse.I guess stuff can happen no matter what ya buy.hdbiker

I'm somewhere in the middle. I have only owned 1 Taurus, it was a blued model 66. From the first time I took it to the range the cylinder never cycled and sometimes required tools to un-jam it regardless of what brand or type of ammo I fired in both .38 or .357. I ended up trading it in for partial value on my XDm .40. I full well could have sent it in under warranty but the stories of their customer service I read online I decided I would rather have a different gun.

With that said I don't go out of my way to bash Taurus but I'm open about my experience to others if they ask my opinion. Someday I will probably own another Taurus, if that one's junk then I will be sure to let everyone know but if not then I'll consider the first experience an anomaly.

For those of you that care I'm like everyone else in the world, I took the time to post in this thread about my first poor Taurus experience but have not ever posted a thread about any of the 10 guns I have that function flawlessly every day. Only those with something bad to say take the time to say it, everyone else is out enjoying their fine working guns.

People keep saying that, and yet it's not true.

The bit about "people never talk about their good guns."

I've had any number of good things to say about CZ, for instance, and about Matt Mink's gunsmithing on CZs. For that matter, I've written posts praising the customer service at Angus Hobdell's CZ Custom Shop.

I think very highly of Bob Hunter's work, and have posted about it.

On the gear and accessories side, I have posted many times about the quality of Andrews Leather.

I've written good reviews of Dan Wesson, SIG, even Glock - which I personally don't like but the guns work very well; I've done positive write-ups on FN and Beretta. I've noted issues I've had with S&W and Ruger, but also noted that in each case, the factory took immediate and decisive care of the problem.

If you check out the various brand threads, you will find there are a lot of people like me.

So, what you might say is that you, personally, don't normally bother to write unless you have a complaint. Don't project that to include me, thanks.

I owned a Mod 608 in 357 magnum. Eight shots of .357 magnum, built into a large .44 mag frame. Due to the weight, and the ported barrel, it is easy to shoot, even with the hottest .357 magnum loads. I gave this gun to my son a few years ago and he still has it and shoots it. No problems or issues what-so-ever.

I also had a Taurus 922, a 9 shot 22lr revolver. It had problems with extracting the empty shells after firing. Perhaps some honing & polishing of the cylinder chambers would have taken care of the problem but I ended up trading it in.

The general consensus among shooters I know, is that Taurus makes decent revolvers, especially in their Raging Bull series. I've also heard many positive comments about their 1911 series. I have heard mostly negative comments about their Millennium series. However a good friend of mine has a Taurus 9mm in the Millennium series and has never had any problems or issues with his.

You may buy a Taurus and have great luck with it or you could have some problems. I purchased a Kahr and had lots of problems with it. Any manufacturer is capable of spitting out a lemon once in a while. I think it all comes down to one's own budget. If an economically priced gun is what your budget allows, by all means get into the game. Start shooting and enjoy.

If your life is going to depend on it though, I would choose a Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Sig Sauer, Ruger, H&K, Beretta etc.

I had a Taurus PT111 that had a bad habit of not extracting a round, even if I just loaded it then pulled the mag and tried to rack the slide.

I had a pt 140 millenium (non pro) that my uncle got when he first got his ccw a few years back, it went from him to me to my dad as a kind of right of passage first carry gun after we each got our permits. problem with it was that it liked to hang up while loading a round. we tried all different brands of ammo with it but it seemed to only feed semi reliably with winchester white box. turned out to be unreliable and not such a great carry gun. in the end it when back to my uncle to deal with as he saw fit and we all carry something much more reliable now.

needless to say im not a huge fan of taurus semi auto however i believe if they can correct their problems i may end up giving a few of their models a chance in the future after i cross some of the other things on my want list off. the judge and their 22ply interest me although id have to figure out how to get rid of the righty only safety on the 22ply, last thing a lefty needs is to carry a bug that may have a safety accidentally engaged that they cant easily click off to get rounds on target in an emergency

I own a Tarus 94 ss in .22lr. Fits my hand like a glove! Great sights, great weight, 9 shots! WORST TRIGGER EVER! But its been a great training arm. I do a couple reps on its trigger, swap back to the Ruger which is know for its smooth trigger right:rolleyes: and half the size of my groups. Sorry Cheapshooter, but if I can ever find an SP101 in .22lr that Taurus is getting traded.

Love my TCP PT738. Conceals perfectly for me and goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger.

Three hundred rounds to date without a hitch. Great gun for the price.....less than $200.

Three hundred rounds to date without a hitch.

*sigh*

Since when did a few hundred rounds become some magical "My Gun is Flawless" test?

Similar to the poster above me, I'll burn through 300 rounds in a session or two. Call me when you have 3k rounds through it.

"Since when did a few hundred rounds become some magical "My Gun is Flawless" test?"

Very odd........Can't seem to find that statement in my post.

Looking back, I simply stated....."Three hundred rounds to date without a hitch. Great gun for the price.....less than $200."

btw.....for $200, if and when it wears out, I can send it in for repair or replacement or just trash it and write off the $200 worth of fun. Not a big deal. Hell, I'll spend that much on fuel for my boat for a weekend trip.

*sigh*

Since when did a few hundred rounds become some magical "My Gun is Flawless" test?

Similar to the poster above me, I'll burn through 300 rounds in a session or two. Call me when you have 3k rounds through it.

Since when did a few thousand rounds become some magic number? :)

I think bragging about high number count in a quality gun is useless. You should expect a quality gun to get to a high round count. Bragging about a gun from a notoriously inconsistent gun manufacturer getting into a high round count is a bit more impressive.

I have a taurus pt92afs ive owned around 7 years now. during that time ive had no issues at all. i keep it clean whether i fire 1 round or 1000. Thats just my policy guns are a big investment so keep them clean. from what i hear taurus used to be a saterday night special but my current experiance with them speaks otherwise. i do wonder if smith and wesson still owned them if they would be regarded like the im metal to springfield transition. anyway ive always had a good experience with there current weapons

i do wonder if smith and wesson still owned them if they would be regarded like the im metal to springfield transition. anyway ive always had a good experience with there current weapons

S&W never owned Taurus. In the 70's the company that owned S&W bought a majority stake in the company that owned Taurus. For a short time Taurus had access to S&W's manufacturing processes. So a Taurus revolver made in the 70's and early 80's would probably be a good, reliable gun.

Now? You probably have a 3 in 4 chance of getting a reliable gun from them and a nightmare if you are the other 25%.

I had a good one but took the opportunity to trade up when the opportunity presented itself.

I'll probably never buy another Taurus but, my PT709 has been spectacular and is carried all summer when I want something small to conceal. Adjustable low profile sights and a damn nice SA trigger. What's not to like! Easy to shoot to boot.
Oh yeah, I've had it since May 2009 and put at least 1,500 rounds thru it.

If Taurus would really get their act together, they could smoke the competition at their price point. I have a couple friends that have had bad experiences with the CS end of the business.

BTW, I know enough people with problematic Rugers to think twice about them too. Although they do a much better job in the CS dept.

Had a Taurus model 66, 357 mag in the mid eighty's that was flawless,
shot a few thousand handloads with it and can't remember why I got rid of it,
I miss it and would buy another one, for the right price.
I do have a few Smith's so I'll be ok. :D

If Taurus would really get their act together, they could smoke the competition at their price point. I have a couple friends that have had bad experiences with the CS end of the business.

I think that's the issue. At that price point what corners are they cutting? I'm sorry but price and quality do factor in somewhere and at some point. I think Taurus has been cutting it too thin for too long and now has an undesirable and IMO a deserved reputation.

I have tried Taurus twice..

First was a PT-92 that was the second gun that I have ever purchased.

It was absolute garbage, knowing what I know now, I never would have taken it home. Several maternal parts were machined wrong. Mag release would not function and slide release would instantly jam under the follower of the magazine.

I next tried a Raging Bull in .44 magnum.

After about three rounds, the cylinder would freeze up until cleaned....on good ammo too.

No more Taurus for me..

Back