Accurate mil-surp

The number of people responding the the thread title without even reading it is downright amusing, and pretty sad.

Maybe you could actually make it concrete and site some?

Otherwise all I see is a complexly unsupported statement.

Most if not all the responses discuss Mil surplus, accuracy and the various choices.

From way back in post #1, emphasis added:

looking for an accurate (1-3MOA) military surplus rifle in a caliber that is still easily found in most places, such as big box stores.

You can find 7.5 Swiss at Wal Mart around you? What about 6.5x55? 8x57 and .303 Brit are a possibility, but probably a lot more expensive than .308/.30-06.

Yeah, you can mail order the ammo. K-31 and Swede M96 are excellent accurate rifles, but that is not what the OP is asking for.

Have you considered a Remington 700? It may not be mil-surp, but it is battle proven and you can easily get it in calibers which are found at any Walmart. The military models may not be exactly the same as the BDL that you pick up off the shelf, but I'd be willing to bet you could build one pretty close. It is a proven action.

Your options are, as mentioned, limited if you want to meet every one of the criteria you put forward.

Something to consider with the Enfield, particularly if you plan to hunt with it, it may not feed well with soft point bullets. My No. 5 feeds FMJ perfectly, but soft points tend to hang up when chambering. If you force it, they can get a little chewed up on the exposed lead.

I have heard this is not uncommon.

As noted by T. O'Heirs I found the " no drill / tap " base option limited to say the least and I didn't think they looked all that sturdy , so not wanting to D&T my Ishy I went the other route and found me an Aperture sight with adjustable aperture and if I do my part and my old eyes do their part the Indian is a tack driver .
Of course my tack driving and your tack driving will probably be worlds apart,, mine is " minute of deer" ...:D .

WIYskiG.jpg
[/IMG]

You can find 7.5 Swiss at Wal Mart around you? What about 6.5x55? 8x57 and .303 Brit are a possibility, but probably a lot more expensive than .308/.30-06.

Yeah, you can mail order the ammo. K-31 and Swede M96 are excellent accurate rifles, but that is not what the OP is asking for.

Fair enough, thank you for the clarification.

Another vote for the M27, M28/30 or M39 Mosin-Nagant from Finland.

If you like to tinker, you can make most M91/30s shoot about as well. You must remember that most 91/30s we see here are refurbished with unfitted parts, and they need work.

Two-stage triggers may be had, as well as receiver shimming kits (a type of bedding), improved sights, lots of stuff.

A vote, too, for one I've not seen mentioned, the M88 and its derivatives. Mine cleaned up nicely after setting in the corner of a gunshop for a couple years. Got it for $37.50 OTD. The gunshop owner didn't know what it was and wasn't interested in messing with C&R.

The bore was rusty and the lands are slightly rounded. It was made in 1892 in Amberg, Germany.

When I first shot it, it was 1.2MOA. I've not measured groups since.

The whole platform was built around precision. It has a sleeved barrel and very fine sights. If you have good eyesight, the rifle shoots well. If not, you'll have trouble.

A downside is that you must handload. I do have the "S" conversion, which means mine was modified to take the then-new 150grn spitzer round. The differences between the M88 7.92x57mm and the "JS" (or "IS" if you prefer) 7.92x57mm are a threefold: 1. Bullet type and weight, down from 220grn or so, 2. velocity, mostly due to reduced bullet weight and 3. bullet diameter, up to 0.323" from the original 0.318" of the M88 round.

You cannot shoot modern 8x57mm in it. Pressures are too high. You'd have to reload as I do, or buy M88 ammo from Europe, where it's recognized as different rounds and not lumped together.

The M88 is an excellent rifle. It's just a matter of whether you're willing to go to the trouble of manufacturing or finding the proper ammo.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited:
I have a U.S. Model of 1917 (Eddystone mfg, #854786, made in 1918) that I got at a gunshow back in 1996. It's a great rifle, very accurate, and I killed my first good bull elk with it back in '97. Whoever did the "sporterizing" to the rifle, did an exceptionally fine job on it, along with a very nice piece of walnut holding it all together. Whoever owned it before I did, mounted a Redfield Olympic aperture rear sight on it, and a very nice ramp front, which is still a joy to shoot with my old eyes. It's also drilled and tapped for a scope, but as long as I own it, it'll just be as it is with the Redfield sights. Very cool old rig, certain sure. And, in 30-06, ammo is most always readily available most anywhere; just can't beat it. Along with my other center-fires, I reload for this one, too.

The American Enfield, or the 1917 Enfield (as what it seems to be known best as) was what cpl. Alvin York used during his brave assault and shooting skills against the Germans to win the Medal of Honor in WW1. That's some pretty good history on a military rifle, I'd say.

+1 on finding and purchasing a good '17 Enfield. A Winchester, Remington or Eddystone in decent shape with a good bore should still serve very well.

For all those pushing the others, the above is spot on.

For low cost bullet proof gun, the 1917 is it.

1903A3 would be next on the list, but my eyes like the 1917 setup a lot better. Very well done flip up peep (aka M16, battle sight and an accurate peep on the flip up)

Flip up is graduated in yds so you can quickly ramp it up if hunting.

Purchase like all Mil Surplus should be predicated on a good bore.

The good news is there are Muzzle Wear and Throat erosion gauges available for the 30 calibers, not for the rest.

Back