About little guns . . .

Prof Young

I love little guns but have discovered that the novelty wears off.

Among the little guns I used to own . . .
Bauer 25 acp - Fragile gun. Repaired multiple times.
Taurus PT 22 - Some repair. Unintentional double taps.
NAA Black Widow - Went back for repair twice. (Yes, that is uncommon for an NAA gun. Cylinder bound up and then later main spring broke.)
Bond Arms Rowdy - More cool to look at than shoot.
All that with the caveat that all of these guns were fun to shoot range toys and I did enjoy them.

Little guns I still own . . .
Kel Tec P3AT - Carry gun.
Phoenix Arms 22 - Runs well. Fun range toy.
Sg P238 - Carry gun. May be the best gun in my collection.

I imagine I'll own other little guns in the future. Mostly as range fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Dearly love

The one I love the most is the one that I do not shoot.

H&R .32 S+W top break. Mine is blued and appears unfired. It is pretty old, it was made for black powder.
Mine is the hammerless version.

It is just such an elegant and compact little guy. The DA trigger is two men and a boy pull weight. No single action at all.

Elegant is the best word I can use to describe it. If it were not unfired I would make some BP .32 rounds. Since I can see zero evidence of ever being fired, it shall remain unfired.
Apparently someone stuck this one in their sock drawer in the 1800's.

I'm another fan of small Beretta pistols --

(2) Model 21 A Bobcats in .22 LR

(2) Model 3032 Alleycats in .32 ACP

Model 1935 in .32 ACP

Looking for a Model 70/71 in .22 LR

My small Berettas have been reliable and mostly maintenance-free, although one of the 3032's did suffer a cracked slide. Beretta provided a new 3032 with the thicker slide to replace that pistol. I have no complaints regarding Beretta pocket pistols or customer service.

YMMV.

Beretta 21a 22lr, jennings 22lr, keltec p32,p380. seecamp 32.
To small they hurt not fun
SIG 365, SW MP COMPACT = NO HURT
A friend asked Where do you shoot someone with a small caliber ?
I told him IN THE BALLS
Take out the the blood supply he will DIE

I still have three little guns, and intend to keep them.

.25, Beretta Model 20
.32, Kel-Tec P32
.380, Ruger LCP Gen2

The LCP is the only one I carry often, keeping the others in case my hands can't handle the .380 in the future.

I also tried a bunch of derringers, but they are just plain too big, heavy and impractical by today's standards, unless you want one for the fun/novelty of it. Good luck hitting anything with one.

A modern version of a little .22 DA revolver like the early S&W Lady Smith, H&R 1906, and IJ 1900 would be nice.

The NAA's with barrels 2 inches or less are meant to be carried more and shot infrequently and at close range. I have the 1.5" and a 4" Minimaster. I love shooting the Minimaster, the 1.5" requires a 7 O'Clock hold with .22 LR, IDK with .22 Mag, but either way it's a 7 yard gun max. Not a fun paper puncher.

I too don't care for the PT22 much, thought I would, but it's got issues. I like the weight, I like the grip/feel, but I hate the sights, reloading is a pain with that heavy slide pull, and I've found it to be very picky with ammo. I'm either going to sell it soon or give it to an older person who has hand issues and can't rack a slide.

What killed my interest in the PT22 was owning the Phoenix; that gun is a major improvement in every way except the weight and being stuck only shooting standard velocity. I know I could shoot high velocity, but I haven't done so yet. I think these guns are super underrated and people crap on them for the material and the price. BTW, the mags are great and Phoenix doesn't charge much for them, $14. Beretta and Taurus probably charge twice that for their little .22 mags.

For .25, it's hard to beat the Beretta 950, but the Phoenix is not far behind and is half the price. All other .25's are useless IMO.

Little guns have a place in the gun world. They may be on the weak end of the spectrum but even that side of the spectrum may still be a game changer and is still lethal. Range fun is always a factor too.

My particular favorites are;
Seecamp
Walther TPH
Beretta 70
Beretta Pico

Little guns are good to have IMHO.

No one likes little handguns.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

I have a mauser 1910 in .25 acp. It is quirky and interesting, as probably one of the first striker fire pistol designs. Pretty fun to shoot. I handload the rounds if you can believe it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Baby guns

I absolutely love my AMT Backup in .380acp. Functions flawlessly with ball ammo.

Walther PP .32acp (circa WW II) is a very flat, easy to conceal handgun.

High Standard O/U .22 mag derringer is exceptionally reliable and loud.

NAA .22 s/a is another reliable mini but more of a curiosity than anything else.

My enjoyment of little guns comes from the craftsmanship, history, interesting mechanical nature of them.

For example the Seecamp, and going back further the Colt Junior, way back the Colt 1908 Vest Pocket, and others like the Bauer or original FN/Baby Browning types. I have an Eibar ruby type 25, which is also interesting.

Now, I like my P32, but it is a utility gun, useful and reliable for carry but not historic in the sense of the others. Though I believe it is the first locked breech pocket 32, so there's that milestone.

Keltec was the first locked breech
I owned all the KT 'S My SN Was ooo12 for all my guns .
I worked their for 20+ years retired in 2016

I had a PT22, I carried it when I walked my daughter down the aisle. I liked my Kel Tec P3AT but sold it when Ruger came out with their LCP. That is about it for little guns.

"I too don't care for the PT22 much, thought I would, but it's got issues. I like the weight, I like the grip/feel, but I hate the sights, reloading is a pain with that heavy slide pull, and I've found it to be very picky with ammo. I'm either going to sell it soon or give it to an older person who has hand issues and can't rack a slide."

???? The Taurus PT 22 is a modified copy of the Beretta 21. It has a tip-up barrel so you don't have to manipulate the slide.

I love little guns.
I have Brownings, Bauers, PSA, Llama, Beretta 950, Beretta Model 20, Intratech, Galesi, Rigarmi and others in .25.
I have Astra, Berettas, Llama, etc. in .22 short/long.
Quite a few .22 LR small guns.
Lots of .32 and .380 pocket guns.

little guns hide easier than big guns. little guns usually weigh less than big guns. for those reasons alone big guns get left behind more often than little guns. pros and cons for each be darned, the layman/laywoman goes with what is easiest for them, and that generally makes little guns with them better than big guns without them.

Back