A. Uberti 1873 .44 Black Powder with a .45 ACP cylinder OK to shoot?

I have just fitted my .45acp cylinder to my 1873 Uberti.....:D:D
Have loaded 100 rounds up with Black powder , will be going to the range in this week !!!!:D:D:D:D
ps also fitted center firing pin !!!

Pictures please of your great work and could you describe the process for us? I would love to do something like this myself some day.

and also let us know how it performed on the range.

got the Cimmaron .45acp Cylinder , comes with a cylinder bush .Had to machine some metal off the front of the cyclinder , to get enough space for the rear of the cartridge case to clear the frame , also machined some metal off the cylinder bushing.
Fitted a center fire fireing pin , had to file the off center hole in the frame so the firing pin could strike on the primer cap .

Have not had time to go to the range but will report back as sson as I have been .............:D

Converted Uberti black powder Cattlemen

I have an Uberti Cattlemen that I converted from black powder to 45LC. I bought it used from a local pawn shop for $195. Then I bought an Uberti 45LC cylinder from Taylor's. I had to do some file work on the cylinder bushing to get it to fit in the frame because it was just a tad too long. I also had to remove some material from the barrel face because the cylinder rubbed a little. I did NOT have to do any modifications to the frame or firing pin opening. I did have to remove some material from the right side of the firing pin. It was making contact with the rim of the cartridge so it wasn't setting off the primers reliably. Now it functions flawlessly (with cowboy loads that is) I did shoot some Hornady ammo I got at wally world through it and I did experience some issues with the hammer blowing back and I did have the primer blow out of 2 cartridges. I think the higher pressure loadings cause issues due to the large firing pin opening. As long as you shoot cowboy loads you'll be fine. I have less than $300 invested an have a nice Colt SAA clone.

Another thing I noticed is that while on the Kirst Konverter site, there's no specific mention of what kind of .45 ACP is safe to use, I noticed that there is the <1,000 FPS warning at many of the places that sell the cylinders:

Besides using lead bullets, the Kirst FAQ page also specifies that pressures must not exceed 12,000 PSI - most .45 ACP factory loads are way over this limit -

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/kirst-pdfs/FAQs.pdf

Back