A. Uberti 1873 .44 Black Powder with a .45 ACP cylinder OK to shoot?

hawg haggen is right. i had to fit the 45 acp cylinder to the uberti. it well not fit the pietta. i also had to fit the 45lc cylinder to the pietta. i see no reason to to drill out the firing pin hole. seems like a good way to ruin a nice firearm. i also put a 5 1/2in colt nickel platted 3 gen barrel in the pietta. i still need to have the cylinder's platted and the back strap and trigger guard. I'm doing the same thing with the uberti. but i used a 4in barrel from said company. and using thunderer grips. when the guns are finished. I'll post some pics. they well be two unique 1873's to say the least.

i said i would post pics when the guns are done. that might be next week or next year. i have no need to prove any thing to no one. with that being said. if any one is really interested in theses gun's pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we'll talk. may be even text a few pics of them to your phone. with the understanding that i do not won't them posted at this time.

worthless.gif

i said i would post pics when the guns are done. that might be next week or next year. i have no need to prove any thing to no one. with that being said. if any one is really interested in theses gun's pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we'll talk. may be even text a few pics of them to your phone. with the understanding that i do not won't them posted at this time.

Now that's interesting. Guns not finished yet. Won't post pics yet but will text pics.:confused::confused:

Now that's interesting. Guns not finished yet. Won't post pics yet but will text pics.

I took that like an artist doesn't want to make his work public until it is complete, but might allow a personal peek now and again at the work in progress.

Breed, I'm just chomping at the bit, looking forward to seeing the pictures, and having a bit of fun at your expense in the mean time.

thanks model p. if i put up pics before they are done. there are some members that well just pick them apart.

Pietta 1873 BP 44 to 45?

I just bought a like new BP Pietta in 44 for $100 bucks and in reading these posts don't understand conversion to .45 acp.?? Was the barrel changed? Pushing a .45 slug down a .44 barrel as my dad would have said "listens good but doesn't sound rite."
And a note to you guys wondering about the "offset firing pin - offset barrel" question. The nipple hole in the BP cyl IS offset to the right. If you look down the cyl from the business end you will see its NOT centered!
So indeed, if one puts a regular smokeless cartridge cyl in this, correctly amends or adapts the firing pin it would fire correctly without re timing - re-indexing or whatever. IMO
Point taken about the primers on the cartridge blowing back or out. Possible low power cartridge load, use BP cartridge, or a colt fireing pin bushing.
Special thanks to Breed for your insite on this board.

"smoke em if ya got em":cool:

Guys

This is not a "pipe deam". I have converted many of these "BP 1873" Uberti's to centerfire. As long as the pressure isn't high they work fine with just grinding/filing the firing pin to make it more "centered". Doing this leaves a gap around the firing pin and higher pressures will cause the primer to flow back into this hole.

Installing a 45 (acp or Colt) cylinder is the same protocol as fitting one to any SAA. This requires setting the cylinder gap by fitting the bushing. By the way a "44" black powder revolver has a .451 to .454 bore. Of course caliber changes are also possible by changing and fitting the appropriate barrel and cylinder.

It is legal by Federal law to make your own firearm (state laws vary). You cannot make a firearm if you do so with the intent of selling it, this is manufacturing. But YOU CAN sell a firearm you made by federal law. There is no need to perpetuate the myth that if you make a firearm "you can never sell it".

Regards,
HH

Thanks

Thanks HH for the info. Much appreciated. :) Any recommendations on where to pick up a cylinder with out breaking the bank. Would love to know which one is best - cheapest.

Well the best option is a Uberti cylinder. These are available from VTI (vtigunparts.com) as well as the Uberti sellers like Cimarron and others.

Any cylinder copied from the 1st and 2nd generation Colt, including Colt, can be fitted. Length issues can be overcome by setting the barrel back (for shorter) and cutting back the breech end of the barrel for longer cylinders.

I would also purchase a new cylinder bushing to be fitted.

I have a few NOS BP 1873 cylinders (with nipples) if anyone is in need.

Regards,
HH

thanks

Thanks again HH. I have 2of the BP cyl. I know I won't need more of those. Looks like I need to scour the parts bins @ the gun shows.
Have 2 other "cattlemen" pistols. Both in .45LC a Smokey blue with a broken hand spring spring. (need to send it back to mfg for repair) and a brite nickel .45LC. Same mfg. EAA. So this one I'd like in .45 ACP. ( really like the timing on EEA's)
I also am fortunate to have among the black powder pieces a .44Remmy 1858 original from the Stagecoach collection. Id like to know what thats worth now days. Thanks again:)

hi there , I own 2 of these Ubertis and would like some help in getting a cylinder or 2 for cartriges , please any help would be appreciatted

Wayne

Buying the cylinders is easy: VTI gun parts

Fitting them correctly and making the mods takes a bit of know how!

If you need anything PM me

HHMB

I had done a lot of research about the conversion cylinders and came across mention of those .45 ACP conversion cylinders. As I understand it, one good option is to find someone who can reload .45 ACP as 'cowboy loads'. All the recommendations I've seen say to make sure to keep the muzzle velocity under 1,000 FPS.

Take a look at these:
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/ammo_45acp.html

A lot of these are .45 ACP rounds that are under 1,000 FPS.

Another thing I noticed is that while on the Kirst Konverter site, there's no specific mention of what kind of .45 ACP is safe to use, I noticed that there is the <1,000 FPS warning at many of the places that sell the cylinders:

http://oldsouthfirearms.com/kirstkonverter-1858remingtonpietta-cylinderonly-for45acp.aspx

Hope this helps a little.

Most all factory loaded 45 Auto with a bullet weight over 185 grains is loaded under 1000 fps.

What you are really looking for here is lead, not jacketed, bullets.

But, I believe, this thread was not about 45acp drop in conversions. Iy was about converting a BP version of the SAA into a centerfire one.
Wayne just opted to go 45acp.

Back