A Skeet parent needs a new baby that won't cry as much

Good point Dreaming...let's see what OP says / but its possible he just wants an O/U too...

Another point : ... Skeet in general, especially competition skeet, even at local club level is dying. I have seen a number of shoots - where 15 yrs ago it was common to get 300 shooters in the 12ga event, maybe 200 in 20ga event, 150 in 28ga and .410 events...( with maybe 100 shooters, shooting all 4 events ) .... / in the last couple of years, those events were lucky to get 30 shooters in the 12ga... and there was very little interest in 20ga, 28ga or .410 ..
Now we are talking "registered" NSSA shoots ...where costs to enter one event are probably $150 - $ 200 .../ but even "club" shoots, not NSSA sanctioned or recorded targets -- are lucky to get 25 shooters out at $ 25 entry fees ...( plus targets and expense for shells which is another $40 for 100 targets) it can be expensive.

Regionally around the US...it is a little more popular ( Ivy League schools, Military Academies ...some well run clubs )...but even at my local club - we ran special instructional leagues for young shooters, we had sponsors that covered a lot of the expense, parents carpooled...when we started we got about 12 kids ...and in 2 yrs it was over, no interest. We even started with Skeet, 5 Stand -- went to Sporting clays.../ but the kids just didn't have a lot of long term interest ( my grandkids are mostly the same / they want to go a few times -- then they move on to other stuff as they get into high school, etc )...out of 10 grandkids, 2 of them are sort of into it ...at 12 and 14..but none of the older kids are still involved.

Most days at my club...average ages on skeet squads are easily 60+...( me too )...

--------------
Sub gague events ( 20ga, 28ga and .410 ...) ... are only commonly shot in sporting clays on bigger events ( regional or state shoots ) / on regular club shoots on weekends you can shoot whatever gague you want but its a single event ...not separate field setups for the subgagues. So sub-gagues are only shot a few times a year competitively.
--------------
So a good all around 20ga or 12ga....for a new shooter is just the smart option ...( and they can shoot Trap, 5 stand, Skeet and Sporting clays with one gun ).

Last edited:
Most days at my club...average ages on skeet squads are easily 60+...( me too )...

That sounds a lot like the club that I go to, but what I've noticed is that when my wife and I (both 33) are there, everyone is doing everything possible to ensure that we stick with the sport. This gentleman in particular: http://www.examiner.com/article/despite-setbacks-sowers-makes-it-to-ohio-trapshooting-hall-of-fame has done everything possible to ensure that she breaks targets to include bringing multiple guns for her to try and offering top notch instruction for free.

Is OP going to club shoots and just happens to be college age, is he competing in the NRA or NSSA college league type thing, or is OP wanting to be on a college athletics team?

Some of the NCAA schools with skeet teams are on the coasts in unfriendly territory, such as Yale. I'm thinking this is why semi-autos are frowned upon by the coach. Yale lists the following as who they shoot against:"United States Military Academy at West Point, Harvard University, the University of Vermont, the University of Delaware, George Mason University, the U.S. Naval Academy, Brown University, and others."

Unfriendly territory? Possession of a firearm, whether or handgun or a long gun, on a school campus is a felony. That includes off campus student housing and private, not only public, colleges and universities. Sure, it doesn't apply if you get written permission from the college or university president, but don't hold your breath waiting to get it.

All 4 of the US military academies ( coast guard, west point, anapolis and air force) still have "shooting sports" - some at a varsity level, some at a "club" level.... as do a lot of the Ivy league schools ... and while the shotgun sports are not as big now, as they were 45 yrs ago, even at the military academies other weapons competitions, like 3 gun, have replaced some of the traditional pasttimes ... but air gun, rifle and handgun competitions are still strong.

I don't know what the current rules are at the academies for weapons...but "back in the day"...you could have personal weapons at the academy, they were locked in the base armories and you had to check them out and back in ...with the duty officer at the base armory ... ( for Skeet, Trap, Hunting, etc )...and I suspect the rules are still similar today.

Back in the day ...I don't remember any of the academies having their own shotgun facilities on base...competitions were held at public or private Trap and Skeet clubs near the bases/campuses -- guns were often donated by alumni or supported by members of the clubs - and kept locked at those facilities. Cadets would travel to those facilities once or twice a week to practice..as time allowed ...

cz o/u

I bought a cz canvasback o/u ,reeds special( chromed receiver,extractors,no engraving,3 choke tubes instead of 5 ) ,off gunbrokers last summer to use for trap.
only fired a few rounds with it,( get another 1-2 birds a round with my bps)but I think it will go for years without problems. certainly seems well made.
here is a link to shotgun world .com
where one member(cbd1097) has been shooting his cz canvasback for seven trouble free years,and is up to 32,500 + shots fired with no trouble.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=189338&start=2420
I paid $509 for mine.It certainly isn't in the class of a berretta,or browning,but I would think if you do your part,it will do its job,at least for the next decade or two.

Last edited:
the fact that the stock on the pump fits me better for trap shooting,has no bearing on the reliability of the cz, and the stock on the cz may fit him better than the stock on the pump.
there is only one way to find out.

Stock fit is imperative, more so than anything else. That will not only increase success, but reduce the felt recoil. If you shoot a pump that well because of that, either stick with it, or get those dimensions, and gun balance weight and find an O/U with those specs and have fun

The fact that Jbrown shoots better with his pump shotgun that he's been using for years than a cz bought off gunbroker that he never fitted to his shoulder till it arrived doesn't really say anything about the cz besides he needs the stock altered to fit him best.

I can break 100 clays without a shot being fired when transporting them in the back of my truck. But it's much more fun to shoot them in the air.

Unfriendly territory? Possession of a firearm, whether or handgun or a long gun, on a school campus is a felony.
Off campus shoots still fall under state law as does the team while traveling through any state. In some of the relevant states possession anywhere in the state may be quite complicated.

I'd hate to be stopped in NY driving a 16 passenger van with ten college students each in possession of any shotgun, but if I have a choice I'd choose it be 10 fine doubles over ten semi-autos.
Remember, if the shoot is in the state there is absolutely no protection for transport as the team is not just passing through.

For my personall needs I would definitely go with a semi-auto, but if I were a university coach I would push hard for everyone to have a break action single or double.

guns were often donated by alumni or supported by members of the clubs
My limited exposure to OSU's shooting sports leaves me a little surprised OP's university team doesn't have some equipment for loan.

;)I don't know why some have problems with the 1100 shotgun. I own/ have owned several of them and all have performed well. I still have a 12ga gun that I shoot some, don't clean it once a year. I prolly don't shoot over 1500 rounds a year sometimes only 500 or so but I don't have any problems with it, also have shot an 11-87 trap gun w/o problems. It sounds like the gun in question has a problem that hasn't been identified. The auto will have more issues than a Browning or Beretta o/u gun but they are still reliable guns.
I like the o/u guns because I don't alike picking up empties.

I don't think OP is coming back. He probably temporarily gave up the shooting sports and posting here in order to get a second job to pay for equipment.

In another thread he mentioned trying to save up money for a prepper gun for his 18th birthday. I believe that thread was started the same day as this one. And now he's considering a Mossberg 500 or Maverick.

Back