A Skeet parent needs a new baby that won't cry as much

I inquired years ago about a second set of barrels for my browning gran prix and browning said that each barrel was matched to each receiver and i wouldn't save anything by a second set of barrels vs a new gun after all the extra fitting was done on the new set

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you guys I really appreciate it, our team does have a sponsorship with a local ffl and after talking with the manager for a while, he said he recomends the cz's. Anyone knwo about them? Again I do know about the costs, being from a middle-low class family and having this hobby is a hard thing to combine, but I appreciate everythin you guys have said. I do know a lot about fitting and i know you were talking about barrel inserts for different guages. But I guess I have to rely on a cheaper shotgun. Im starting to think about just saving my money and taking this year off of the sport. But suggestions are still greatfully helpful. Thank you all this is really helping.

I can't recommend a CZ either ...or any other Turkish made gun for that matter..../ you may get lucky and get a decent one ...( 1 or 2 out of 10 in my view )...but I think its a crap shoot.

Most FFL's...( not all ) ...don't know anything about Target grade guns ( not fancy wood ) ...but target grade durability, what makes up "Fit" so it hits where you look -- or how screwed up barrel regulation can be on cheap guns ( where one barrel hits 3" or more high left a 20 yds & other barrel hits low right 6" )....

Browning and Beretta for a long time have given you a lot of gun for the money. This problem on cheap O/U's that are not holding up ...happened about 15 yrs ago ...when gun mfg's started exploiting the market bringing O/U's to market that looked decent but didn't hold up (Baikal, Huglu, Ruger, Mossberg, Remington, etc.. ( poorly regulated barrels, triggers breaking, ribs cracking, barrel to receiver connections that were soft...)...some of these guns might work out ok - for a guy shooting 500 targets a year that just wants to go out and have a few laughs...but not for serious target shooters ( where 25,000 targets a yr are common )...

Any gun can be used for casual skeet shooting...sometimes my buddies and I will make it a pump gun day, a semi-auto day ...on a skeet field ...for laughs / and there are some semi-autos out there that are affordable and reliable ...from Beretta or Browning -- like Browning Silver Hunter series new in box for around $1,000...great gun for a new shooter/young shooter learning.

We all have budgets...so I understand / I just don't want to see you buy a gun and get burned. ( but if you try a CZ, it may hold up ..or it may not.../ is it worth a chance ...its your money ...). I say no ...but good luck with your decision and I hope it works out well for you .

Whether you or your friends like it or not there is nothing wrong with a semi auto.
On a traveling University team... I'd imagine a semi-auto can cause some problems a fine double avoids. I would personally far prefer a single shot for singles and semi for doubles, but it may not be practical. Also possible the coach has "opinions."

An older Charles Daley over under is a good buy. Made by Miroku in Japan

You probably have to look a bit but I have seen some of these in the used section of stores like Cabela's for $500-600.

The CZ's have a few threads with a lot of shots without problems but I have only seen one place have them in person. I ended up lucky and found a citori hidden in the corner with a low price tag.

they usualy work great

Your 1100 should work you may want a over under (who doesn't)but the 1100 needs to work, it sort of sounded like very lightly loaded amo or a very dirty 1100. Is it an old gun with a real high round count?
bb

Skeet Ain't Cheap!

The following is based on 15yrs.of actual,heavy,skeet shooting.A veteran skeeter who is savvy,is so helpful for you!Also a well stocked range will allow comparisons,plus used guns at my home range can be shot.Keeping short,start with:12ga.-28" Beretta391.They simply dominate skeet semi-autos! Good Luck,Skeets

In your budget range, you might also look for an older used Browning or Beretta. I have a Gti I bought new in the early mid 90's. I have seen these going for about $1K lately, and they will go a long way. Mine has about 300,000 through it and while I now shoot a semi, it still has a long way to go. It needed some new springs at 90,000, but that's been all.

My semi-auto of choice is a Benelli super sport model, 12ga, 30" barrel ....it has a lot of adjustability, stock shims, 3 different recoil pads and 3 different comb pads. It's only 7 lbs 4oz in a 30" ...but the longer length helps overcome the lightness so it will still swing smoothly on follow thru......but because a little more weight, to me, is better...I add 8oz under for end and put 8oz inside stock - position the weight to keep the balance the same.

It's the only semi-auto I trust for competition in skeet or sporting clays.....but I still prefer the fit and swing characteristics of my browning citori XS Skeet models in 30" barrels and the added flexibility of putting different chokes in 2 barrels for sporting clays ...but for Skeet or Trap the Bedell is fine.

I also like the benelli as a foul weather gun .... and as a airline travel gun ( take one gun that does a lot of things well ) vs a more expensive O/U with today'so airlines....

I like the super sport so much I also bought a 20ga in a 28" ( it's only 6.2 lbs ) ....but it's a good training gun for young shooters in family....

Point is ....there are a lot of solid guns for dedicated skeet shooting. I put close to 50,000 shells thru the Supersport 12ga in 2 sporting clays seasons while I was nursing a fractured shoulder blade -and I couldn't swing my heavier o/u's without pain ....the Supersport let me compete those 2 seasons --- and it ran a lot of 100's on the skeet fields as good practice...

I have about 150,000 shells thru the Supersport now probably 15 yrs old.
Citori XS Skeet 12ga....about 16 yrs old and around 750,000 shells...
Citori 2oga. ...probably 250,000 shells .....13 yrs old
Citori XS Skeet 28ga, same 30" .....has about 350,000 shells thru it ... 13 yrs old
.410 XS Skeet I don't shoot much. .. maybe 50,000 shells...13 yrs old

None of my guns have malfunctioned -or broken any parts....i that time....
( she'll count, etc on trap guns - Citori XT and BT 100 ) are similar ....

You should buy and shoot whatever you want !! ( for Skeet, which is what we are discussing .. )...

Over Under "pros" for Skeet..(there are only 2 in my opinion )
a. 2 barrels let you select a 2nd choke in top barrel ( say an IC )...when you might want to change that 2nd barrel's choke in a shootoff of doubles at stations 3,4 and 5...( when you tie, you go to a shootoff )...

b. no feeding issues in an O/U ...( if you pull a misshapen shell out of the box and you don't want to just toss it out ) if you can get the shell into the chamber, and close it and lock the gun, they will probably fire ).

( but even when I was shooting new ammo ...I'd always run the shells thru a Go/No Go gague ...( just like I would with my own reloads )...and I always had an extra box on the line with me ...and more in my vehicle...

--------------------

If I wanted to shoot a single barrel gun for Skeet - I'd pick a semi-auto over a pump gun ...although back in the 60's, pump guns ruled the skeet fields too / I'm about a second slower with a pump over a semi-auto ...cycling the action. I can do it -- but not for competition when I have other options / and pumps can misfeed too.

a. In a shoot off...I might pick an IC choke anyway ...for doubles at station 3,4 and 5.../ or I'd leave a Skeet choke in ...and increase my shells to 1 1/8 oz of 8's in a 12ga. Give me a few more pellets in pattern for the shootoff...but in my head, I know 1 oz of 8's or 9's ( if I do my part ) will break any target on skeet field.../ so the perceived "pro" of a 2nd barrel in an O/U for skeet...is really not there.

b. Reliability ...for a semi-auto.../ at the lunch time break in a tournament, or after every 100 shells(a full event ).../ I'd strip the gun down and give it a good cleaning and lube. That is one reason I like the Benelli supersport - it takes me about 5 min to completely strip it down - drop trigger group out, etc...clean, lube it, put it all back in battery and ready to go after lunch).

Pumps are not quite as reliable as an O/U...but over unders can break too ( there are a lot of pins and springs internally in an O/U as well ). If I went to a regional shoot, state shoot, etc ...or most any big tournament, I always had a backup gun, just in case ...( I had a 2nd Citori XS Skeet in 12ga...or I'd put the Benelli supersport in the vehicle..). For Skeet, I always have a backup gun anyway ...because you can shoot a 20ga in a 12ga event..etc../ and I always had the stand alone Citori XS Skeet models in 20ga, 28ga and .410 with me - if we were shooting all 4 gagues. Some small events were only 12ga..
------------------
Handling, weight, length....all of that -- is irrelevent, any gun can be setup to your specs. 28" barrel on a semi-auto is about the same overall length as an O/U with 30" barrels...different recoil pads to adjust length of pull, comb pads, adjustable stocks(on some models)..../ for Skeet I want a gun that is shooting a 50%/50% pattern...on point of impact ... ( Trap I like a gun that is 70%/30% ...so I can float the target )...I like the same 50%/50% for sporting clays and 5 stand..../ so I shoot the same guns for Skeet, Sporting Clays, 5 Stand - and in the field for upland birds. Trap guns are dedicated to Trap only..

Last edited:
One or two posts touched on the advantage of an over under, because it has two barrels each can be differently choked. Just how much of advantage that gives I don't know enough to say. If I catch the birds in the right break point, skeet skeet does the trick.

Fit is extremely important and my experience is that many "coaches" and most gun dealers don't know squat about it. The same is true of too many gun smiths.

If you are the average person that most guns are made to fit, good for you, but if you are not you are wasting a lot of time shooting a gun that doesn't fit you.

One think that helps is that guns can now be made to fit really well by the use of adapters such as adjustable combs, pad adjusters, and other things such as the lead tape BigJimP mentions, or commercial barrel weights.

Also mentioned was the ability to fit a 12 gauge with tubes.

This brings up another thing about used guns. You can sometimes find them tricked up with all the goodies installed.

There is at least one big problem with determining gun fit. It is difficult to fit a gun until you develop a good mount and it is difficult to develop a good mount with a gun that doesn't fit.

Last edited:
What BigJimP said about the relative cost of the gun versus the cost of ammo and targets. I paid $2750 for my XS Skeet at the end of 2011. That is nearly 5 years ago, meaning as of now the cost per year is $550, and I will never wear it out. Maintenance costs are negligible.

I shoot no where as much as BigJimP and some others, but even with cost savings from reloading I spend $3,000 a year for practice ammo and target fees.

Of course, the problem is budgeting. I vote that you look long and hard for a used B gun.

Im starting to think about just saving my money and taking this year off of the sport.
I'm calling this a fail. Not for OP, but for all those who replied.

If the FFL the team uses suggests the CZ, I am willing to bet some on the team have bought one and are getting by with it.
There are a lot of people here at the top levels of their respective events/sports whatever you want to call it. Many spend a lot of money on equipment, and are, frankly, equipment snobs. The clay doesn't know how much the gun cost when the lead hits.

Buy the best you can to get on the field this year. "Beg, borrow, or steal."
If you can shoot well enough to get on the team with your problematic 1100, I am confident you can shoot well enough with some of the other options.
Develop contacts with all the older shooters in your area who bring three back-up guns to a casual Tuesday night shoot. If you get on their good side you might get a good deal. If you annoy them enough they might croak and you can buy from the widow for pennies on the dollar:)
One might even spring for a loaner gun for your team(which won't work all that well for skeet as I understand it).
One might own/manage a company with an opening for an intern that pays well enough to help buy a low tier but true competition gun.
Sitting out a year probably won't solve your problem.

You will be at a disadvantage compared to the kid who's father sent him to Italy for a gap year and had a $50,000 custom fit Italian double made while he was there as an souvenir/graduation gift/afterthought. You probably won't be the only one so disadvantaged, and it probably won't be the last time in your life.

Last edited:
Buying a CZ means nothing from the FFL standpoint. He might be getting a better deal. A used Beretta or Browning will go the distance. They have already done so for many decades. The CZ has not.

cry when you buy, laugh when it lasts. the advice given here has been pretty sound from people who have been there and done that. and the cost of your shells will over shadow the cost of a decent shotgun, if you take up the clay games on more than a few times a year. the proven shotgun makers have been around for a long time and offer a full repair service. if you are not sure about starting to get into the clay games maybe a lesser shotgun may be for you. eastbank.

I think we've all told the OP that he should find someone qualified to fix the Rem 1100 and just shoot that.../ but he doesn't want to because a coach or someone on the team wants him to shoot an O/U.

As simply as I can:

Best competitinon Skeet gun...for a serious Skeet competition shooter or a Sporting Clays shooter: a 12ga O/U with a carrier barrel ( barrel cannot be shot without full length tubes installed ).... so you have a stand alone 12ga barrel ...and a carrier barrel that you will shoot the 20ga, 28ga and .410 with. Tube sets from Briley or Kolar. Some mfg's will make a "carrier barrel"...or Briley will take a 2nd 12ga barrel set -- fit it to the receiver and bore out the barrel to fit the tube sets. Its the best because all 4 gagues -- now are identical. ( if you take a 12ga and then tube that one barrel with 20ga, etc tube sets -- its about 10 oz heavier with the tubes in it - than as a stand alone ). Cost of a 12ga O/U --- a 2nd set of barrels - and a set of tubes..probably min $8K...up to whatever you want - $15- $25K if you pick fancier wood...

Lots of shooters don't want to get that serious about the game....so any gun you want to shoot - can be shot for skeet.

Durability and longevity is relative to use.../ shop any used gun store ( that has a lot of shotguns ) ...and you'll find out quickly what holds its value and what doesn't. Browning and Beretta O/U's will hold their value --- as will Perazzi, Blaser, Kolar and Krieghoff...most others will not. Best guns for the money in that list will be Browning or Beretta / but the other 4 make some fantastic guns, if the budget can go that high.

If I had a young shooter ...( teenager, etc )... that wanted to shoot skeet at a club level --- I'd get them a used Browning or Beretta O/U partly because its a gun I know they'd keep the rest of their life ( if it fits) and probably
$3K max ( I would look for a used Citori XS Skeet with adj comb ). My 2nd choice at around $1,000 new would be the Browning Silver hunter semi-auto as a good solid starter gun. My 3rd choice for around $2K would be a Benelli super sport 12ga semi-auto.

On a budget ....I'd suggest a good used semi-auto - probably a Beretta but if you get up close to $1,000 then just go with the Browning silver.

I would not invest in a 12ga, carrier barrel and tube sets for a young shooter -- that just might be in a passing phase. I would probably suggest the new shooter stick with one gague events 12ga or 20ga...or shoot the 20ga in both 20ga and 12ga events ( especially in Skeet, there is no disadvantage to shooting a 20ga...many of us shoot 7/8 oz loads in our 12ga anyway which is a typical 20ga load).

Other than a couple of issues discussed - there is no disadvantage to shooting a semi-auto in Skeet.

Last edited:
Have you asked the team coach why an over under and for recommendations including how to find a deal on used ones? Unless he is brain dead, he will understand how costly the sport can be for a college student and he may know some guys that really are not interested in selling some guns that have been relegated to the back of the safe, but would let them go at a very fair price if the coach sent you.

Back