A 'person' with a knife

You guys may (or may not) be surprised to learn that the guy in the photo was stabbed with a broken beer bottle. You might have thought the assailant couldn't grip the broken bottle that nicely, but evidently he made effective use of it. Just goes to show, it doesn't have to be a proper utensil/knife at all and it can still do a lot of damage. He was lucky that he didn't get that in the neck, because then he would be in a lot more trouble. My point is, if the assailant has a knife/piece of glass/screwdriver and you don't have your weapon drawn, you are not in an ideal situation. Better to run and get the required distance to enable you to draw.

If I remember right about 30% of folks die from knife wounds and and gunshot wounds is lower.

Knife is something that is nothing nice to deal with. I carry a Cold Steel Ti Lite that you can shave with. I work for The US Government and firearms other than issue ones are verboten at work. I am planning to upgrade to the 6inch Ti Lite.

On either situation above you may not have time for a draw of your weapon. In the miltary we were taught to push/slap the knife away from the inside towards his outside and give whatever you best shot is, then the arm over the knee to break it or make em give the knife up. Basically, the first line of defense was to push the knife out of alignment with your body.

this thread has me thinking about some unarmed defense classes.:(

about the last time I ever remember being in a situation like that the guy had me by the throat so I took my arms shoved down on the inside of the elbows broke the hold gave him a nice liverpool kiss to the nose then a knee to the family jewels as he had shut my wind off :eek: I was just trying to beak up the fight....:eek:

Tough call

This is a monster thread- the stranger coming at me would recieve "what a reasonable person in the same situation" would do, if you know what I mean. My son? Dear God, I'd never shoot him but do my best to get the knife out of his hands. I mean, how could I live with myself?
I know I have added nothing to this discussion really, just wanted to chime in.

I'm with Recon7. In short, yes, it makes a difference, and there are some people whose lives I value more highly than my own.

Well if a stranger I would use my pistol as I'm it no shape for that H2H stuff.
Now if your family name is Bates I would just tell him to play nice and get out of the silly dress.

I only have a step son. If faced with this I would shoot Sorry but I know his skills with weapons .Military along with other training taught him well.

Back