A common out of the box tack driver

Other Choices

It's always been a wonderment how suggestions go from entry level firearms to
seriously expensive custom rifles. T3 and the T/C Dimension have a one minute guarantee. Neither would run somebody into bankruptcy. Neither rifle would win a beauty contest. Pretty is as pretty does. :) The Dimension can grow on ya'.

Congratulations on your new Tikka. The Caliber you chose is my favorite. It is good for small to medium game out to 400 yards but when you get out beyond 250 yards, I recommend a soft point bullet since velocities will be down and a partition may not expand enough to properly take the animal. Go shoot and have fun.

Ok guys, I am stoked!! I know it has been awhile since I responded, but since the post, I have added a tikka to the mix and recently purchased an f-class bipod which makes a world of difference. I shot my .270 yesterday with the bipod and the gun that was once an 1.5”-2” gun at 100 yards is now a 3/4” gun. Excluding the one flyer anyways. There are 8 shots in that group closest to the target. The other 2 shots that have a B on them was shot by my 7 year old daughter from my 6.5. ( well for some reason, it would not let me upload the photo due to some kind of token error, but anyways I had a .73” group at 100 yards. The 7 year olds group was a 2.16” group. Just 2 shots for her, but it’s a start. ( First time ever to shoot a gun )I will continue to try and upload the photo.
If you went from 2" to sub 1" with a bipod, then you has one heck of a piss poor rest. A "good" bench rest will out shoot any bipod. Now, you cannot take a bench out in the field and the bipod will go with you. So; that is a very good and useful result. Congrats.

Interesting that folks here knew about the TC venture and appreciated that in 2011. I miss that gun. Now all the buzz is for the cheeped out Compass. Once again, the American consumer has spoken.

Didn't the guy say varmint's and occasional deer? Where this bigger than 25 cal coming from? A 270 or 7mm mag for varmint's and occasional deer?

What’s wrong with shooting varmints with a 270? Personally, I started on varmints with a 220 Swift and did just fine until hogs showed up at my place. I finally had to move up to more gun, and the next bigger caliber I had was a 260. Otherwise i’d have gone to my 270. That said, if the OP wants to shoot mass quantities of prairie dogs, the 270 isn’t ideal.

Many years ago, before I got the 220, I used all sorts of bullet weights in my 270 for varmints and deer. Finally I just standardized on the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Super-accurate bullet, and very effective.

WDALLIS: Your daughter did well, but it's usually better to start kids with pellet rifles or .22LRs, so they don't develop flinches that are hard to correct. They may not show it at first, but may develop serious flinches after getting a few bruises.

Back