A common out of the box tack driver

On the ammo front surplus Swiss 7.5 is damn near match quality ammo and can be had between $0.50-$0.60 a round.

That surplus ammo is all FMJ.... finding soft points for hunting can be ..... problematic.

....as can finding the correct (.308 will work, but is not correct) bullets for reloading......

Last edited:
Another 1 for 270,But a 25-06 or 257 bob is nice to be a little different.T-3 or savage would be a good bet.I use a Ruger 25-06 but its not quite a tack driver but does a good job,may not hit them in the eye but it will tear up the head.:eek:;)

Love my little Savage 10 Predator Brush, that gun is the ugliest, shootingest little rifle in the safe. Put another sookie in the freezer Saturday AM with it.

Jimbob

Wolf, Norma, and Hornady all produce soft point Swiss 7.5x55 for $1-$1.50 a round. I'm sure components are available if you look. Can't walk into walmart and get some, but it's not less common then hen's teeth either.

kinoons-

Is the hornady stuff made with the proper .306 bullet or do they just use .308 bullet like they suggest doing in their fifth ed. manual?

I know it probably works, but I also know about all the hullaballoo over the .002 difference in the 8mm mauser and 8mm mauser JS ..... The straight pull actions are not the strongest design, either ......

No, I would not recommend a gun that is not easy to feed correctly, or inexpensively, when there are so many more better and economical options out there......

tikka t3 or remmy 700

i love my remmy 700sps tactical aac.

i like 308. while not the preferred round for deer or varmint, it will do either, and you can also find cheap bulk ammo for plinking around.

Coopers... Take your pick! I have the Model 54 Varminter in 260 Remington. The factory 3 shot test group measured 9mm @ 100 yards!!

pix618758690.jpg

Over the years my father I have owned a truck load of different brand B/A rifles and I can tell you now NONE have been as consistently trouble free and accurate out of the box as the Sako 75, Tikka M595/M695 (old models) and Sako 85, Tikka T3 (new models).

I don't like owning to many of 1 thing but with Sako's and Tikka's I dont mind because I know IMHO for the money you wont get anything better. Do I sound like I Sako/Tikka fan? you bet I am!!! Here in Australia Sako and Tikka have been around forever and would outsell everything 2 to 1 (at least).

Ok guys, I am stoked!! I know it has been awhile since I responded, but since the post, I have added a tikka to the mix and recently purchased an f-class bipod which makes a world of difference. I shot my .270 yesterday with the bipod and the gun that was once an 1.5”-2” gun at 100 yards is now a 3/4” gun. Excluding the one flyer anyways. There are 8 shots in that group closest to the target. The other 2 shots that have a B on them was shot by my 7 year old daughter from my 6.5. ( well for some reason, it would not let me upload the photo due to some kind of token error, but anyways I had a .73” group at 100 yards. The 7 year olds group was a 2.16” group. Just 2 shots for her, but it’s a start. ( First time ever to shoot a gun )I will continue to try and upload the photo.

Last edited:
Hope it don't take 6 1/2 yrs for the picture.lol
Yea me too, I’ve tried several different ways to upload it, but it keeps given me an error about a token. I’m not sure I’m going to get it uploaded. I wish there was another way, I have never had any issues prior to this.

"I want a tack driver". Any and every rifle is a tack driver. Any and every rifle is a piece of crap. What makes a CONSISTIANT tack driver is load development, preferably handloading, and practice. Any out of the box bargain rifle has the capability to shoot sub moa at 100 yds with factory match ammo. The question is will the rifle CONSISTIANTLY shoot sub moa every time in every varying condition. The answer is no. You pay the bigger money for high end rifles that can shoot a 10 shot string, sub moa at 600 yards. The Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM is proving to be about the best and most consistiant precision out of the box, no mods needed.

I handload for a T/C Venture 30-06 and it is capable of 1/2 moa accuracy on occasion but 3/4-1 moa generally depending on various things. I can load it for varmint shooting, deer hunting, or long range target shooting. I dont mind the recoil but it can be a lot for some.
I also have a .243 that is as capable with less recoil but not quite as accurate. If I were buying one today I would be looking hard at 6.5 Creedmore and .224 Valkyrie.

I would buy a Sako in your favorite caliber. They all shoot well. If price is an issue, get a Tikka. They use the same barrels and are just as accurate. I have both. They are excellent rifles.

I've shot many Model 70s, but never owned one. I'm a trigger snob and don't care for most Mod. 70 triggers.

I'd recommend a Tikka .243 Win hands-down. If you can afford one, the Stainless Tikkas are really nice hunting rifles.

I'm very impressed with the ability of the .243 Win, especially in the Tikka T3! Can't say enough about how much fun and capable the combination is. Put a Leupold 3-9X on it and don't look back! Mine shoots like a custom rifle without any tweaking. The new Winchester Deer Season ammo works fantastic in mine, but so do lots of handloads. Great rifle to carry all day or shoot at the range.

Out of the box tack driver would be a vote for Savage from me and for your ranges/requirements I would also vote for a .270. You can get light bullets for varmints and heavy bullets for deer.

Edit: I did not look at the OP date :eek: holy necro thread. Will remember to check that from now on before posting. But glad to hear you got a great rifle. I am thinking my next long arm will be a .270 after I build up my last AR upper that is...

Last edited:
A common out of the box tack driver.
I am maybe in the market for a new rifle to add to the collection. This gun will be used on varmints and maybe the occasional deer. The ranges I will be shooting will be 0 to 400 yards. I am wanting a tack driver at 100 yards. Which gun/caliber/brand would be best for the job? I reload my own shells.

.25-06.

Various platforms. Pick the one that suits you.

Back