A common out of the box tack driver

wdallis

Inactive
I am maybe in the market for a new rifle to add to the collection. This gun will be used on varmints and maybe the occasional deer. The ranges I will be shooting will be 0 to 400 yards. I am wanting a tack driver at 100 yards. Which gun/caliber/brand would be best for the job? I reload my own shells.

Do you want a light gun or a heavier one?
One with a heavy barrel or not?

Tikka T3s have a good reputation of doing under .5 moa, some getting under .25, and thats the sporter models.

Calibre depends on what you want to shoot at what range.
Varmints to 400 I'd go 243 or 308, and that'l also get you deer at around 250- 300 comfortably.

Deer at 400 3006 or 7mm rem mag.

Deer at 100-150, and varmints to 400, 223 22-250 204.

Also depends entirely on what you've already got.

A .270 WIN will do deer or grass rats to 400. Mine does (Remmy 721, available on a consignment rack near you for less than $400).

Savage Model 11 in 243.

SAM_0470.jpg

Jim

Best bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!

Stevens 200 in .243. Mine shoots 5/8" groups at 100 out of the box, if I do my part. As far as Savage and Stevens go, this is pretty much run of the mill.

I'm with the crowd that recommends the 270 Winchester cartridge. It's hard to do better than that at the ranges you're talking about. Also worth mention would be the 280, the 25-06, the 260 and the 7-08 (and plenty of others). I am not a particular fan of the 243, but that's just me. I'd rather have a 250 Savage or 257 Roberts than a 243. As for the rifle, the Savage will do just fine, but I personally would rather have a rifle that's accurate and a bit easier on the eyes. It's a lot like a girlfriend, in that if she's going to be with you all the time, being pretty is a big positive. Therefore...Tikka, Sako, Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Howa, and Browning (and others) should at least get a good look.

did a lot of research in the last couple of weeks prior to purchasing a gun for a semi custom build and there are several brands which would fit the bill. Seems as if it is the rule rather than the exception that bargain guns now will shoot sub MOA straight from the box. You have a ton of choices.

Stevens - the good is there are lots of aftermarket stocks, triggers etc if you decide to upgrade it on. It is also a cinch to change calibers and barrels on. The bad is that the stock and trigger are not all that

Low end Savages - good trigger straight from the box and the stocks are decent

Marlin XR series- good trigger, adequate stock, good barrel. Some aftermarket parts becoming available. Reportedly will use Savage small shank prefitted barrels

Tika - same category as Marlin bolt guns.Good trigger and stocks

Howa - good accuracy and trigger straight from the box. Decent stock and trigger

Weatherby Vanguards- Made by Howa, Good stock and trigger

Winchester model 70's good trigger stock and looks. Plus it is a controlled feed action. Best looking guns of the bunch in my opinion.

Caliber - .308, 270, or 243 would do what you want. Accurate factory loads and ammo is available everywhere.

I just bought a new Stevens for $320 shipped but I plan just using the action and replacing the trigger, stock, and barrel within a month or two on a sows ear to silk purse project to see if I can build a gun that will outshoot a buddies high dollar custom for half the price

Last edited:
Savage weatherby howa tika. The weatherby vanguard and the Howa are the same gun. I dont own a tika but have shot a friends a bit and it always shoots moa. I own several savages and even the cheapest a edge 308 shoots moa and sometimes sub moa with good ammo. The vanguard i own is a varmint special 308 it shoots awesome. The factory test group on it was 5/8 inch.

Well if price isnt the issue get a SAKO .270, you can shoot 110gr bullets and have less than 25" of drop at 400 yards. If price is in mind the TC venture is tough to beat in .270 as well. Nothing wrong with the .243 either

A common out of the box tack driver is the gun you are willing to put in the time and effert to learn to shoot.

243 is what I'd recommend, too. I would use heavier bullets for the deer and light bullets for the varmints... that's about it.

Just to be different I'll go with something unorthodox -- Swiss k31 carbine. They are available, inexpensive ($200-300), have a great trigger, quick bolt, good sights. There are options for mounting a scope or other sights. Many are sub-MOA rifles. Aftermarket stocks are available if you don't like the wood military stock.

On the ammo front surplus Swiss 7.5 is damn near match quality ammo and can be had between $0.50-$0.60 a round.

Back