9mm revolvers ?

9mm wouldn't be my choice for a revolver, but if you insist, look at the Ruger LCR(1.87" barrel and 17.2 ounces. Decidedly little and will have excessive recoil.) Ruger makes a 9mm cylinder for the New Model Blackhawk. Of course, .357 and 9mm use different bullet diameters.
It appears your only other choice of current production maker is Taurus and, up here at least, their customer service is crappy.

Ruger LCR would be my first choice.

Taurus and Charter Arms make the guns but they are not up to the Ruger or the (discontinued) Smith & Wesson.

I have the Taurus 905. I don't carry, but it has had no failures at the range. I try to put a few rounds through it when my G19 goes to the range with me.

Make sure you carry high quality ammo, as 9mm can "jump" when in the cylinder.

I also vote for the Ruger LCR or LCRX, they are good guns that carry well.

I am a fan of revolvers with semi auto ammo in them, I have a Ruger Speed Six 9mm, S&W 940 and had a Taurus 905 (sold it after it returned from Taurus, I had to send it in for repair on my dime) and of course a few 45acp revolvers and a 10mm.

Last edited:
Are 9mm cartridges loaded hotter than .38? The LCR seemed to snap more in 9mm.

Standard pressure 38 Special runs around 18,000 PSI. +P 38 Special goes up to something like 22,000 PSI. Standard 9mm starts at 35,000 PSI.

It's just physics from here on so you can figure it out.

Dave

.357 pressure is at 35,000 also and it recoils way more than 9mm!

So pressure is not an end all indicator.

I've never been a fan of 9mm revolvers because I can't figure out how to carry full moon clips for SD!:D

I like them; had S&W 547s, Ruger Blackhawk convertibles, Ruger SP101 and S&W 940. Still have the SP101 and S&W 940. I would think the Ruger LCR might be worthy of CCW consideration in a current production revolver. Much as I like the SP101s, have to admit they are a bit heavy for their size.

FWIW, I've chronographed a fair amount of .38+P and 9MM in little concealment type 2" revolvers. Even standard pressure 9MM exceeds the ballistics of any major manufacturer 38+P I've tested. If major manufacturer +P and +P+ 9MM are factored into the equation, the gap between 38+P and 9MM gets wider yet. With the 9MM +P and +P+, ballistics get into .357 Mag. 2" territory....

Look no further than the LCR or LCRx. Skip the SP101, triggers aren't as good, ergonomics are bad.

While the Charter 9mm revolver may not use moon clips, the LCR's don't need them either. I've got a 9mm LCR on my list and if/when I get one my intent is to carry using a moon clip, but will use speed strips for reloads.

S&W 547’s are cool guns....be prepared to drop $1500 on a decent one. I have one. With wood grips, it is punishing to shoot!

Not bad with rubber grips.

Charter Arms offers the Pitbull in 9mm (as well as .40S&W and .45acp).

No need for moon clips. I'm considering one in .40S&W for giggles.

Google image
Charter-Arms-Pitbull-01.jpg

.357 pressure is at 35,000 also and it recoils way more than 9mm!

So pressure is not an end all indicator................
Right.
SAAMI max for .22 LR is 24,000 psi. 33% greater than. 38 Spl.
Felt recoil energy is determined by projectile weight, charge weight, projectile velocity, escape gas velocity, and the weight of the gun.
Chamber pressure is not involved in the equation.

E = 1/2 (Wg / 32.17) (Wb x MV + 4700 x Wp / 7000 x Wg)squared.

Where E = recoil Energy in ft. lbs., Wg = Weight of gun in pounds, Wb = Weight of bullet in grains, MV = Muzzle Velocity of bullet in feet-per-second, Wp = Weight of powder in grains. (the 4700 is the escape velocity of the powder gasses, 32.17 is the gravitational constant, and the 7000 is to make the answer come out in foot pounds and not grains)

Within a caliber/bullet weight higher pressure means more velocity, but, for example, you can push a 110 grain .357 faster with less pressure than a 158 grain in the same caliber.

While I haven't owned an LCR 9mm, I have used and carried the LCR in other calibers. It's a great little revolver. It effectively retired me from J-frames. I generally don't like using auto calibers in revolvers but if I was going to go this route, it would be with an LCR 9mm.

I currently carry an LCR 327. I like .327 Federal's balance of power, recoil, and capacity on the platform. Although you drop back down to five shots, 9mm can get into the same ballpark with that short barrel. Both of those cartridges live in the gap between .38 special and .357 magnum. I think the main reason to go with 9mm is that you have a lot of 9mm, use it in other applications, and don't want to get yourself into a new caliber.

For anyone wondering why a small revolver in 9mm would make sense at all, consider pocket carry. While a bunch of compact .380 autos ride just fine in a pocket holster, that isn't always true of the necessarily larger 9mm compacts. The semi-auto forms an L-shape that can be awkward going in and out of a pocket. The form factor of a revolver like the LCR is more rounded and that really helps it ride in a pocket holster.

Back