9mm revolver

My favorite LGS has a good supply of 9mm, and 357. 38 special is a little thin, they had some stocked Thursday, gone by Saturday morning.
At times in the past 3 months, they've been out of all pistol ammo.

I am so confused.

There is a conversation that is ignoring what I said at the start of this thread.

1. S&W and Ruger both make L/N framed 9mm revolvers. They do in fact exist. 986 is a real 686 equivalent. It is no different than the set up of the 686 Pro or 686 Performance Center in that it uses moon clips. The JM 6" 9mm S&W exists too...

2. 9mm L frames are competition guns. You could certain use them for fun, but they exist for competition. You'll notice what Ruger named it's brand new GP100 in 9mm? https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/5066.html

3. Even Taurus makes a 9mm 4" and 6" with their convertible 38/357/9mm 692.

@wildcatmccane: I've learned that the only generalization you can make about the shooting sports is: You can't make generalizations.

9x19mm L frames are not necessarily competition guns. Smith & Wesson also offers the 986 with a 2.5 inch barrel and smaller round butt grips. That doesn't seem to be a configuration for a "games" gun.

The newly available Spohr revolver, a German made refinement of S&W, is available with a 9mm conversion cylinder like the other high priced spreads from Europe.

USPSA does build most of the "need" for these revolvers though and the options are really targeted to gun gamers.

The S&W 10227 986 2.5 is still built on the 686 L frame. I don't think most are carrying even the 38/357 2.5" 686 or the GP100 in 3". That one is truly niche and probably why there is exactly one for sell online using gun.deals :)

The 45 revolvers also exist pretty much only for gun games because of the short round loads super fast.

The S&W 627 38/357 is stainless, yet unlike most all revolver pricing, costs less than the blue S&W R8. Gun game gun without the crazy R8 "self defense/duty" appeal pricing.

All I'm saying, is the 9mm, 40, 45 revolvers do exist in large frame. It's for USPSA. Someone saying they don't exist just don't know about it. The Brian Enos forum is enlightening on the subject of race revolvers. It's hard not to take away most get into the idea and back out of race revolvers though.

With 9mm being the main build right now for all US sources, it's not a crazy idea to look into an auto ammo revolver. $40 for 357mag FMJ is just kinda stupid waste of money, no matter your income.

However, the ammo problem is a US only problem. Non US 38/357 is still available. Just have to get the US sellers to act like it isn't a problem. Swiss owned Ruag sells 38special right now for cheap. Direct to consumer with free shipping. Normashooting and ammoshoponline have had 38 and gone for a bit 357 through this whole deal and it has been no higher than $35 for 357mag and $30 for 38spc. This whole time. Kudos to Ruag. It's interesting to watch South Korean PMC 38 special pricing online. It seems to be stacked deep but online retailers just keep bumping the prices incrementally down to see how much we will cough up for this ammo that is clearly not scarce.

Last edited:
@wildcatmccane: I've learned that the only generalization you can make about the shooting sports is: You can't make generalizations.

Correct. I have the N frame 929 and haven't ever shot any games. It still works fine for me at the range. It's just an easy shooting, accurate gun.

The 45 revolvers also exist pretty much only for gun games because of the short round loads super fast.

USPSA killed off their .45 six-guns by allowing 8 shot minor revolvers and the 9mm and .38 Short Colt have taken over the Division.

Still useful in IDPA if you have a 4".

Probably a niche in ICORE.

Never been able to get moon clips to work for me.

And never found a good load for the 9mm with 180 gr. bullets. You shoot what you want to, and I'll shoot what I want to. But I've never really been turned on by smallbores.

Bob Wright

:)

The 929 is specifically made to be a race gun. That's why it's JM.

I said you certainly could use them for fun, but they were built for the games.

And don't get me wrong. The CZ Shadow without a firing pin block and a fake decocker is also built for games while being "production." No poke at the product. But that was the intent of bringing to market.

"Match" and "Competition" aren't on the Ruger 9mm revolvers but to highlight the purpose.

"But two world wars were lost by the kids shooting 9mm."

Handguns had very little, if any, impact on the outcomes of WWI and WWII.

USPSA killed off their .45 six-guns by allowing 8 shot minor revolvers and the 9mm and .38 Short Colt have taken over the Division.

Still useful in IDPA if you have a 4".

Probably a niche in ICORE.
I wouldn't mind seeing a snub .45 with a cylinder meant only for .45 ACP that was cut for moon clips, but could also work with shortened .45 Cowboy Special cases in the event I didn't want to deal with the clips. I'd prefer it to a .44 Special snub, more power, but sadly nobody seems interested in doing such a revolver.

I wouldn't mind seeing a snub .45 with a cylinder meant only for .45 ACP that was cut for moon clips, but could also work with shortened .45 Cowboy Special cases in the event I didn't want to deal with the clips.
Truth, it's my understanding that you could also use .45 Auto-Rim brass in place of the moon clips rather than the shortened .45 Cowboy Special mentioned. Just sayin....

The Auto-Rim has been around forever and is still readily available from Starline if we ever get back to a somewhat normal production schedule. I use it almost exclusively in my S&W M1955 Target, with the same loads that I use through my 1911's in .45 ACP. The Auto-Rim brass headspaces off the rim, I think, but the cylinder chambers (charging holes in S&W speak), do headspace off the case mouth with ACP brass.

None of which matters a whit for me, as I hate dealing with moon clips for my brand of shooting, nor compete in one of the shooting games where a super fast reload is a necessity.

Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
Bob, can't tell from your pic...is that an old model Ruger? The rear sight looks like a S&W, front looks Ruger but the frame top looks like a rounded fixed sight Colt. And the top rear of the grip frame looks to be brass, while the trigger guard is something else...maybe faded case hardening. ? .357 chambered? Thx Rod

Revolvers are much more reloader friendly-although who does that at present?
? Are you referring to cartridge reloading as opposed to reloading an empty pistola, Sig? If so, I'm still ok for components and an active Auto-Rim reloader when my 'ready to go' supply gets depleted. I use the same 200 gr LSWC (H&G #68 clone), that's my usual bullet in my 1911's. Best regards, Rod

I haven't reloaded for some time, those who do have told me that the ammo shortage has caused a components shortage-primers especially.

Back