9mm pistol vs 357 mag revolver

Thanks everyone. This was a great post and very very informative. So, you can get reams of info but it always comes down to using this knowledge properly and do your best to not do anything stupid.

9mm or .357 mag..............don't really matter which.............as long as you place the bullet where it belongs!:D

Lets try to objectively quantify recoil, same size pistol Glock 19/23/32
Valid comparison because same pistol just different caliber and equivalent factory ammo and data from my chrono.
Handy online calculator: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
Powder charges assigned by using values from Accurate Load manual
Pistol weight 1.5 Lb
9mm Glock 19
Federal HST 124 gr. +P @ 1,210 fps (assigned 7.9 gr powder) = recoil energy 7.6
357 Sig Glock 32
Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps (assigned 9.2 gr powder) = recoil energy 9.84 (23% increase over 9mm)
40 S&W Glock 23
Federal HST 180 gr. @ 1003 fps (assigned 8.5 gr powder) = recoil energy 10.52 (28% increase over 9mm)

Edit to add: someone practicing (shooting a course, taking a class) with FMJ 9mm range ammo is not likely getting the same level of recoil as they would with defensive ammo, whereas with 357 Sig its likely about the same level of power.

I own both and enjoy both 357 magnum revolvers and 9mm glocks.

The way I look at it is they are both pistol calibers. The difference between the terminal ballistics is not very significant. The biggest difference is in penetration of the heavy 357 magnum loads.

I carry the 9mm glock most of the time because it penetrates effectively for self defense, has great capacity, and carries easily. I may choose the 357 magnum revolver when penetration is more important than capacity, such as woods carry.

I shoot both calibers with about equal accuracy but it's easier to shoot the 9mm faster obviously.

Back