9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP

Guv

What is your favorite and how old are you? Just wondering if age may play a factor in the choice of these cartridges for self defense.

40S&W- 54 years old.

Own all 3 and can't really pick a favorite, 56 BTW. The 9mm gets shot more because it is the cheapest, and still effective. 45 is probably the least effective round, and most over rated. But my favorite guns are chambered in 45 so it gets used a lot. I probably like the 40 the least, no history to speak of, but it is the round I'd trust to be the most effective if it had to be used for what it was made for.

9MM 50, I think its more to do where you live than your age. America .45 and .40 are popular the rest of the world 1 9MM 2 .40 3 And last .45./

I do see one trend, not really related, us semi-older types seem to get up a little earlier on a Sunday morning.;)

41 yrs old

1) 45 Auto...by far my favorite. Most shot, most carried. A bit much in the recoil dept, but still very shootable.
2) 40 S&W....a necessary caliber to get shootable smaller guns for me to shoot well.
3) 9mm....I have no use for 9mm, but I hope to find one for a daughter in an smaller woman's sized grip.

Last edited:
Own all three, but a gander at the pile shows the population dominated primarily by 9mm, then .45 and finally a couple of .40s.

For self defense my favorite remains .357 magnum, for home defense my favorite is 00 12 gauge.

45acp, 55yo.
Own 2 1911's & a G21.
1911 was my first handgun & I'm very comfortable with it.
I like the Glock because of higher capacity & it is easy to shoot. Wife has two 9mm. I reload for both.

42 years old and the chambering I carry is not one of those listed. I carry 10mm for some "no longer practical" and some "maybe never actually was practical" reasons. I shoot it well and I enjoy carrying it. If/when the time comes to replace my primary carry gun, it will almost assuredly be something in 9mm.

In handguns for fun, enjoyable shooting, I shoot mostly 9mm and .38 Special. I probably shoot 10mm the least, and I wouldn't say I shoot a lot of .45 either, although without a doubt whatsoever -- the finest handgun I happen to own (in any way you'd measure) is chambered in .45cal.

But I love handguns and there aren't a whole heckuva lot of them that I can't find a way to enjoy. :)

31 (Guess I'm the youngest on the thread so far, eh?) and I usually carry .45 ACP.

I like to shoot them all though, and depending on mood I'll also carry 9mm, .40 S&W, and .38 Sp +P.

I'm 64 and prefer the .45. 3 years ago I didn't own a 9mm but now have 3. I'm guessing 40 S&W folks drink lotsa koolade and vote for democrats, but thats just me.

44years old with 9mm

I picked it for the utiltitarian nature it has.

• Very easy to find factory ammo
  • Lots of commercial once fired brass out there
  • Inexpensive to shoot
  • Inexpensive to reload
  • Recoil is not bad
  • Capacity with full size is great
  • Not super loud

OnceFired

At 71, it's still the 45. Shot one comp for 50+ years....shoot it well and
have no problems with it as a CC. My carry was tuned the way a Benning armorer taught me and it has no burps.
Dan
:cool:

Back