7x57 7mm mauser.

I have 2 7x57. One is a Mauser custom. The other a Ruger 77. The Cartridge in a modern action can better the 7-08. Its right there with the 284 Winchester. My Ruger is a typical Ruger of the 1980, minute of broad side of Barn. The Mauser is accurate, 1/2 minute.

"My Ruger is a typical Ruger of the 1980, minute of broad side of Barn. The Mauser is accurate, 1/2 minute."

Dunno what weight bullet you're using but I did own at one time a Ruger M77 tang safety rifle in 7x57. It usually shot best with the heavier weight bullets, usually the 160 gr. Speer Hot core. I forget what powder I was using back then but it was probably IMR 4350. Never got that far with it as a friend wanted it a lot more than I did at the time. Still kicking myself on that one.
Paul B.

I have tried a little bit of everything in it. Its one of Rugers craptastic barrels from the days when they were buying them from everyone and their brother.

"I have tried a little bit of everything in it. It's one of Rugers craptastic barrels from the days when they were buying them from everyone and their brother."

I understand the pain. I had one right around 180/81. The only things it would shoot was the 175 gr. Federal factory load 1.25" tolerable) and the 140 gr. Sierra SPFB. I don't remember the load but I think it might have been H4895 and the bullet was seated to have a long jump.

I know a fellow on another site, goes by the handle Seafire, who uses only IMR3031 for all his M77 Ruger loads. He used the same charge for all bullet weights and say it's the only way he gets any accuracy. As I have one very stubborn 7x57 I'm tempted. Only problem with mine is it's not accuracy but pressure showing up way too soon.
Five more days before I see the doctor and find out if he'll clear me to go shooting. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Paul B.

7X57 likes a little slower powder than IMR3031. I tried 3031 early on, then went to IMR4320 because I got a bunch of it really cheap, then switched to IMR4350 because I had it available, then I switched to H450 (very similar to Reloader 19), and now I use W760. So, long way to say it, but a mid-range powder that loads easily (that's the main reason why I switched from stick powder to ball powder). 7X57 is not a finicky cartridge to load for. Sure, you can load stick powders, but I know fewer and fewer people who do.

"Savage in their 1920 and 1930 Sporter models."

Savage never offered either the Models 1920 or 40 in 7mm Mauser.

The Model 1920 was only offered in .250-3000 and .300 Savage, while the Model 40 was offered in those two rounds plus .30-30 Winchester and .30-06.

As far as I can tell, Savage never chambered any of their rifles for 7mm Mauser before World War II, and after WW II only offered the 110 in 7mm Mauser for a short period of time.

Mine is built on a 03A3 action with O3 bolt and lower metal. Douglas barrel.
4350 is my powder of choice. Accurate and repeatable with 140gr to 160gr bullets
Comfortable to shoot.
One of my Favorites

You might want to try Re17. It's not only been accurate but has given some very good velocity figures. With the 150 gr. Nosler Partition, 2800+ FPS is a snap. :cool:
Paul B.

Back