7x57 7mm mauser.

One of my regrets is passing on a Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57 back in the 80s. I ended up with a 280 and a 7mm Remington due to the Left Hand Config. The 7x57 is a great old round and you should load for it. A 139 or 154 Hornday will put 'em down.

Tangolima, I too have have an M1893 Spanish Lowe Long Rifle. It is all matching with a beautiful bore. The outside looked horrible. There was a light coating of rust on all the metal surfaces. The stock had a coating of mold on it. I was honestly surprised that the bore was as good as it was. I bought it for $50.00 and have owned it for 12 or so years. I cleaned it up and shot it. I got groups measuring @2 inches at a hundred yards, after figuring a point of aim using the original battle sights. There are no import marks on the gun, so I believe it may be one of the Bannermann surplus rifles that were purchased after the Span Am War from the US Government.

Tango, A while back I found this article on loading cast bullets in the 30-40

No need to re-invent the wheel!

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCB30-40Krag.htm
Thanks. But I'm afraid the wheel has been reinvented. The article confirmed almost everything I had found out.so far; 0.311" bullet diameter, 311291 bullet mold.

Well, didn't mean to steer the thread off its course. So let's go back to 7mm Mauser.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Still testing loads in my newly built 1903 Turkish Mauser.
It has a 22" Shilen #3 contour with 1:8" twist.
So far, it likes the 168 grn Ablr's and Sierra 175 grn SBT's..... Range closed for covid.......

The quickest way to tell if it's an 1893 or 1895 Maauser is to remove the bolt and look at the bolt face. The 1893 has a flat base on the bolt face while the 1895s have a round bolt face.
Paul B.

Mine has a flat. It is a M1893. Everything is fine, except the bore has quite a bit to be desired. Also took days to clean when I got it.

-TL

A small side track. One of my Krags can use a new firing pin. Would a Norwegian Krag pin be modified to fit a US Krag? Thanks in advance.

-TL

Paul B. said:
The biggest problem with the M93, 95 and 96 Mausers is they don't control escaping gas very well, thus the consideration of keeping pressures down.
True, and while it will never be as good as a M98, this bit...
Gulfcowboy said:
I own a cut down Spanish mauser in 7mm
...might be good news in that regard. Later Spanish Mausers had an additional gas handling hole in the side of the action.

7X57 is an excellent cartridge. Google ".275 Rigby", it is what the British called it. Start here:

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/boddington-blog/

The biggest problem with the M93, 95 and 96 Mausers is they don't control escaping gas very well, thus the consideration of keeping pressures down.

Roger that. It gets vented straight back through the bolt. The cocking piece will rebound and smack your thumb if it's around the wrist of the stock.

I've got a 95 Mauser that Bubba sporterized during the 1960's .... was going to have it built into a deer rifle for my kids .... but after it bit me, none of them wanted anything to do with it. Tried to sell it, nobody wanted it.

What? They missing a hand?
When shooting on rest or tripod, left hand is usually put under the butt stock. It doesn't hold on to the rifle as securely as grabbing the forearm to stop the rifle from moving forward. Certainly it is mostly a non-issue during combat.

-TL

When shooting on rest or tripod, left hand is usually put under the butt stock. It doesn't hold on to the rifle as securely as grabbing the forearm to stop the rifle from moving forward. Certainly it is mostly a non-issue during combat.
I've seen people do that .... I don't. I try to keep as much of my hold the same, regardless of position or shooting aids as is possible ..... If I'm on a bench with sandbags, I still have my support hand under the forearm, on the bags .... still use the shooting sling in tension, too .....I'm told it does no good, but i use it, in an effort to keep all variables as same as possible .....

7mm Mauser rifles tend to cock on close.
No, the cartridge a rifle is chambered for has nothing to do with whether or not it is "cock on open" or "cock on close". While I have owned several 93s and 95s that were "cock on close", my Mauser 98s, my Ruger M77, and my Winchester M70 in 7X57 did not suddenly become "cock on close" just because they were chambered for 7X57.

No, the cartridge a rifle is chambered for has nothing to do with whether or not it is "cock on open" or "cock on close". While I have owned several 93s and 95s that were "cock on close", my Mauser 98s, my Ruger M77, and my Winchester M70 in 7X57 did not suddenly become "cock on close" just because they were chambered for 7X57.
My poor wordings. I meant to say most 7mm Mausers are of the type of cock on close. That wasn't because of the cartridge per se. It was a feature demanded by the clients who ordered those rifles.

Both close-on-close and cock-on-open have their own merits. It is so happened that most shooters are familiar with cock-on-open.

-TL

I meant to say most 7mm Mausers are of the type of cock on close.
Not trying to nit-pick here, but the 7X57 was an extremely popular chambering for many years by Winchester in their Model 54 and Model 70 rifles and Savage in their 1920 and 1930 Sporter models. Several other manufacturers chambered rifles for the cartridge due to its popularity. The 30-06 and 270, along with 300 Savage and 7X57, were standards during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. After WW2, the magnum craze hit US arms market and the manufacturers responded by pushing rifles in magnum chamberings. And then in the 1960s, Spanish Mausers started showing up en masse and buyers started associating 7X57 rifles with cheap milsurps, but the 7X57 was extremely popular for decades before all the cheap 1893 and 1895 rifles (the ones that cock on closing) started showing up.

Ahh, my bad wordings again. I was referring to milsurps rifles and the related sporters. All the 7mm Mausers I have encountered are from the lot. Some sold their rifles because of the cock-on-close feature, including the gentleman I bought mine from.

-TL

JMHO but the 7x57 made its reputation with the 175 gr. round nose bullets at moderate velocity. That bullet would just flat out penetrate. Bell used the German 173 gr. full metal jacket bullets in his .275 Rigby.

Factory loads made in the US are deliberately kept close to the original loads because of the M93 and M95 Mausers.

First 7x57 was a sporter based on an M93 action and apparently was built in England by some small gun shop. The gun had British proof marks. I bought it way back in 1973 and in the small Nevada town I lived in, the only ammo I could find was the Federal 175 gr. load. I shot a nice Mule Deer with it on opening day right around 8 AM. What blood trail disappeared quickly so my wife and I started the search. We stopped looked when it got too dark to see anymore. I went out the next day and found what the birds and coyotes left by the birds that were still picking on the scraps. That deer had traveled more than 400 yards from where I shot it.

Many years later I ran some of that ammo in another rifle chambered to 7x57 over the chronograph. Velocity was about 200 to 225 FPS slower than advertised. I've since run some of that ammo through two other rifles and the results were the same.

I also sectioned a couple of bullets and the jackets were way too thick for the velocity shown. I think the bullets acted more like full metal jacketed ammo than the the soft nose bullets they claimed to be.
Paul B.

I agree that most 175 gr RNSP penetrated well but were awful at downing game, it made the rifle akin to a 30-30 both in trajectory and useful range. But I was lucky to find the 139 gr Federal load early on and I used it for the first few years I owned a 7X57 (an 1893 Mauser 1916 Spanish short rifle). After a few years, I bought my Ruger 77 in 7X57, and everything changed. First off, it was scoped so my hunting range grew to 300-ish yds. It also gave me higher velocity than the older, sloppier bore of the Spanish rifle. And I started handloading, so I was able to really push the cartridge to its full potential. I acquired a Mark X mauser in 7X57, then another, then a pre-war Model 70 in 7X57. I am a big fan of the cartridge when it's loaded with the proper bullets.

Back