7x57 7mm mauser.

Gulfcowboy

Recently I was talking hunting rounds with a co worker and the 7mm-08 came up. He stated it was a light recoiling hard hitting round. This peaked my interest. I own a cut down Spanish mauser in 7mm. I purchased it because the tales my father told of how great it was. It's been it's been in my gun safe for a few years now unfired by me, and without a scope. Now I feel the need to mount a scope on it and take it out. Does anyone own a rifle in 7mm mauser? How do you like it? What's the recoil on it like? Thanks for any input given.

Recently I was talking hunting rounds with a co worker and the 7mm-08 came up. He stated it was a light recoiling hard hitting round.

You can say the same about the 7x57. I love them. In modern guns, they can be quite the ticket to successful hunting. Of course they are still a formidable caliber in any of them, even the Mausers.

It is a great round and can be very accurate with the right loads (powder, bullets and primers).

In the US, factory ammo is quite watered down due to the older mausers having a max pressure of 51,000 PSI (SAAMI).

European loads are a little hotter at 56,000 + (CIP).

In the early 70's, my first gun was a 1893 7mm Mauser. It cost $25, but I was disappointed on how much a box of WW 7mm Mauser cost. For about $35 more, I had a Lee loader, a pound of 3031, and 100 Sierra bullets. A new handloader was born that day! Good thing too.I had noticed the bright band on my firred rounds, but had no idea what it meant. It's a good thing the Lee only neck sizes, or I would have had case seperations. I know now that when these rifles were imported, the rifles were in one crate, the bolts in another and assembled randomly. In my case, there was a great deal of excessive headspace. The 93 action was none too strong either.
An all matching Mauser is a work of art and bank vault strong. If not, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked by a gunsmith.

I accidentally bought a Mauser at auction last year. One of my many projects is building into a custom rifle for my daughter.
Going from 8X57 Mauser to 7X57 Mauser.
Plan is 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer.

It's kind'a funny I you think about it. The US military was so impressed with the 7X57 that they modified it by lengthening it and made it 30 caliber resulting in the 30-03. Which was again modified to create the 30-06.

Then Savage took a 30-06 case, modified it by making it shorter and used newer powder technology to create 300 Savage which matched 30-06 power levels at that time. Then they modified a 300 Savage to create the 308 which again offered a bit more power.

Then the 308 case was necked down to 7mm creating the 7-08. Which basically recreated the original 7X57 that had been available since the 1890s; several years before the 30-30.

You see a parallel story when comparing the modern 6.5 Creedmoor when compared to the 1890's 6.5X55. Both the 7X57 and 6.5X55 were 2 of the earliest cartridges to take advantage of smokeless powder and nearly 130 years later we are finding their performance levels haven't really been bettered.

That said, other than for nostalgic purposes I'd much rather have the modern renditions. Over the last 130 years bullet technology has improved, powders have changed, minor variations in barrel and chamber dimensions have fluctuated, magazine length's have changed among other minor changes.

The older versions have a bit more powder capacity and at least on paper will get a touch more speed. But in order to take advantage of the modern advancements you can't buy off the shelf 7X57's or 6.5X55's rifles or ammo.

I still think that they "got it right" on the 1st try with the 7X57. It's truly a great round.

I have owned at least four 7x57's. One was a stock '93 in excellent military condition, one '93 I remember customizing into a sporter. I also converted two Mauser 98's into 7x57. For some reason or another, I only remember taking one deer with one of the converted 7x57's of the many deer I took over the years. I do remember however, the deer I did take with one of the 7x57's was one of the oft stated DRT (Drop Right There).

I was hunting the Pere Marquette River swamp near Scottville, Mi and darkness was quickly falling. I saw the buck across one of the narrow (but deep) creeks that lace the river flats. When I fired, he disappeared...thinking I had missed because he disappeared, But was confused because I expected to hear the noise of him running away (it was 5:30, almost dark).

I found him lying right where I had shot him. Autopsy indicated that the 120 grain Hornady (no cannelure, "varmint bullet) and modest velocity, had entered in front of his left hip, angled through his thorax and was under the hide (perfect mushroom), of his Right shoulder.

I have always considered the 7x57 an almost ideal Eastern Whitetail cartridge, but was always experimenting with different cartridges so I never stuck with it.

Nothing wrong with a 7mm Mauser; a capable round and a serviceable gun if in good condition and not overloaded.
But putting a scope on "a cut down Spanish mauser" will not be cheap.

CKBHU8xeSXXN

7mm Mauser rifles tend to cock on close. Some shooters have issues with that, because they may need to grab the forearm when chambering a round.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7mm Mauser rifles tend to cock on close. Some shooters have issues with that, because they may need to grab the forearm when chambering a round.

-TL

However, I have found that for me, the cock-on-close was more comfortable that the Mauser 98's tendency to twist the gun when cocking on bolt-lift. But each to their own.

7x57mm is a fun cartridge.
I like to stick its performance level between 7mm-08 and .270 Win. More than enough for 99% of shooters in North America (and beyond).

I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 7x57mm. It took 4 rifles to come up with a combination of parts that was serviceable, safe, and headspaced tighter than a "field" gauge. (Though still, technically, slightly beyond SAAMI and CIP "no-go".)
I take it easy with that one and shoot somewhat reduced loads.

But, I also have a Ruger 77 Mk II in 7x57mm. In a modern rifle, loaded to full pressure, the cartridge is right there with my .270 Win (also a 77 Mk II).

The biggest problem with the M93, 95 and 96 Mausers is they don't control escaping gas very well, thus the consideration of keeping pressures down. Recoil in US factory loads is reasonably mild and for most deer hunting is more than satisfactory.

Reloading though is another matter. If I were loading an M93,95 and yes I have seen M96s barreled to 7x57 I would work up a load using a 140 gr. bullet to no faster than 2700 average FPS. Factory Winchester ammo claims 2645 FPS with a 145 gr. bullet and IIRCC, Federal 2450 FPS with a 175 gr. bullet so probably 2500 FPS would still be safe regarding pressure. Norma runs a 150 gr. bullet around 2700+ FPS but have no idea if it's suitable for the Spanish Mauser.
I run loads that run right along with the 7-08 but I'm using strong rifles like the Winchester M70, Ruger #1 and a custom based on a commercial FN 98Mauser action.
I'll be loading ammo more in line with factory levels as I'll most likely not be doing much hunting and just more range time.
Paul B.

A moderately loaded 7x57 is still a fine deer cartridge. I don'y know what ranges you are talking about,but 2500 fps or so with a 140 gr bullet will ake venison at 200 yds,no problem. Keeping pressues moderate is a good idea.

Its true those rifles do not manage gas well. IIRC,Mr Mauser himself was blinded in his right eye by gas escape from one of these rifles.

Look close at your bolt fce and firing pin hole,and your firing pin tip.

If the firing pin hole is worn oversize,or if the firing pin tip is gas eroded or damaged,piercing a primer s more likely.

The gas will travel the length of the bolt and escape into you face. Do be sure whoever is shooting it wears shooting glasses.

Last edited:
If you are doing a barrel swap, like me, be aware the standard chamber is done with a free bore meant for a 175gr round nosed bullet. In other words it's gonna be looong.

You can still get excellent accuracy with it, but don't try to chase the lands with a 120, or 140gr bullet.

Standard loaded ammo is low pressure. To be safe in the old Mauser actions. Hand loading to +P pressures (around 56,000 psi) really brings out more potential, but again, only in a more modern action.
A reputable smith should be able to locate & drill relief holes in the action to release any pressure from something bad happening, much like is done on modern actions.

Then there is the stripper clip lug. It can be ground down & the receiver drilled & tapped for scope mounts.
Or drill & tap, then get an EGW Mauser base. They are made to clear the loading lug.

I own several 7X57 rifles: three Mauser 98s, a Ruger 77, a pre-war Winchester 70. It's my favorite choice for anything from coyotes to elk. Recoil is light, accuracy is good, and yes I handload. If you want a 7X57, forget about building it on a 93 Mauser and move on up to a 98. By the time you get the 93 drilles and tapped, redo the bolt handle, new trigger, and put a new barrel on and reblue it you will be into it more than buying a commercial 98 already chambered for it.

Yep,take it from a Gunsmith,there is more than one way to use a gun to take a man's hard earned money!!

As I recall,long ago when things were cheaper

I started with a $25 Mexican 98 Mauser .receiver.. I did the bolt handle,drilling and tapping,threading,and chambering myself.

But a foam core fiberglas stock,and a Douglas premum barrel,and a Timney trigger,scope bases,sling swivels,guard screws,Accraglas,etc.

That $25 receiver and me doing my own work,I'd have $500 in building a rifle on a milsurp.

For my face,I would not try to handload the full 7x57 potential on a 93 0r 0ther pre 98 Mauser.

With a strong,modern rifle,IIRC Norma loads 150 gr boat tail at over 2700.

Not much you can't do with that. RE-19 seems to be a sweet powder for 7x57...in a strong,modern action, You have to give some up for the 93.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the pile I have a Mannlicher stocked 7x57 Mauser carbine (don't recall country of origin) and also a Spanish Mauser military rifle. Additionally, I have a new sporter barrel in 7x57, dies and ammo. I haven't touched any of it in 35 - 40 years and don't remember anything about them. But they must have shot OK because I dont keep rifles that don't perform well.

I have an antique M1895 Lowe built Chilean that was sporterized long ago by someone. Bought it complete with a decent Tasco scope and the bolt handle altered for $125.00. I can drive nails with that old girl out to 150 yards, scary accurate. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but look forward to what she has the potential to do.

I have an antique M1893 in military configuration. Barrel is worn with shallow grooves. Can still hold 3" groups out 100yd. Don't know its history, but it could well be one of those firing down from San Juan hill. For that I got myself 2 30-40 Krags to balance out the power.

The Krags need a bit of work. Took more than a week to clean the barrels. Copper mine in there. They too have shallow grooves. Haven't shot them yet. In process to come up some light cast bullet loads.

-TL

Back