7.62 Nagant revolver

Well it's a Nagant dadgummit, and I want the gas seal !!! If I wanted a revolver without a gas seal and still have a 437 pound trigger pull, I'd a bought a Webley Mark IV. :eek:;)

Kraigwy, can you elaborate more on this part?
The crimping die then crimps the case after I set it up to match the crimp of factory bullets.

Match the crimp of Nagant factory ammo? What kind (Hotshot/prvi funny crimp or the Russian tapered crimp)? Or just a taper or roll crimp that is enough to allow the full length Nagant brass to slip enough into the cylinder to allow a gas seal? Do you have any issues with cracked case mouths because of the severe crimp that Hotshot/prvi/Fiocci puts on the factory ammo? How many reloads can you get from one case and still salvage a gas seal?

Last edited:
I take a factory load and use it to set the crimp on the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Then when I get the bullet seated flush. I but the round in the Crimp die, which leaves the same crimp as you have on the factory bullet.

That only works with Nagant 7.62X38R brass. I just seat the bullet on 32-20 brass where it fits the cylinder.

Maybe my case is an isolated incident, but my experiences with the 7.62 cartridge have been with Fiocchi and evey one that I have fired has split the case mouth, making the cases unusable as is for reloading. :mad:

I found that I had to trim the cases past the split to make them suitable for reloading, but, with the shortened case, the gas seal feature is lost.

And, before anyone asks, I have shot these out of several different era Nagants in my collection, including a Polish Radom, with the same results.:(

thats the way i look at it. The gun is a gas seal revolver so why shoot ammo that doesn't use the gas seal. Kinda defeats the purpose of shooting the gun in my eyes.

Well it's a Nagant dadgummit, and I want the gas seal !!! If I wanted a revolver without a gas seal and still have a 437 pound trigger pull, I'd a bought a Webley Mark IV.

In defense of the Webley, while the trigger on my Mk. IV is certainly not up to that of my S&W's, it's still worlds better than any Nagant I've ever tried.

Sorry Webleymkv. I didn't mean to offend. I like the C&R guns as they are, for a historical perspective. I wouldn't change a thing about a Webley, or a Nagant. They are what they are, and that's what makes them interesting. I don't have any Webley's, but they are on my list!

Sorry Webleymkv. I didn't mean to offend. I like the C&R guns as they are, for a historical perspective. I wouldn't change a thing about a Webley, or a Nagant. They are what they are, and that's what makes them interesting. I don't have any Webley's, but they are on my list!

Oh I wasn't offended. My Mk. IV certainly doesn't have the best DA trigger in the world, but it is at least "useable" in my estimation. A Nagant's DA trigger, however, is only useable at bad-breath distance and would be very difficult to shoot well with even for experienced revolver people.

I for one think Nagant DA triggers aren't as bad as they're often made out to be... or maybe I have unusually strong hands. I've had a couple of Nagants and think the DA trigger is significantly better than some of the new production revolvers I've owned (specifically models 85UL and 94).

I just ordered one and I found on UTube some instructions on improving the trigger pull that I will try. Just cant say no to $99 for a really nice pistol with holster and cleaning kit. I also bought 140 rounds of ammo at $0.36 a round.I am, however, wondering why a 9mm silencer was used on a 7.62mm weapon.

Why does it work? Would an 8mm silencer work better? Would a .45 cal silencer work as well?

Let's get back to the "availability" part. 8mm might work too, but can you find one? My guess is that .308 (or close) and .355 (or close) isn't a big difference when considering the properties of a silencer. We're only talking about 5 hundredths of an inch (or so). 9mm works.

If a person is buying a silencer, then the 9mm models are probably the cheapest ones that will work on the 1895 Nagant. Since minimizing bore size is one of the keys to suppression, the 9mm will work okay as it was designed for a .355" bullet and the Nagant is a .310" caliber. Using a smaller can designed for the smaller powder charge in the Nagant cartridge would probably work better, but the market for a can made for that revolver is very small.

Ranb

But with near new Nagant pistols selling for under $100 and the ammo at 33 cents a round, the market could get bigger !! LOL

A hopefully not too глупый question...

Hello all -

So the 1895 Nagant is still actually in service, both with the Russian Railways combine and with numerous northern rural police forces.

Now suppose that Oleg the Angry, a weight lifting petroleum worker In Krazny Sigorsk has a little too much водка and decides to break a few bones - none of 'em his own.

Presumably the local constable isn't going to yell "Stoi!" and threaten him with some anemic Prvi or Fiocchi target round.

Where do these Russian coppers get their ammo, and who makes it?

Thanks,

Russ

Who knows where they get it. But you can get much stouter 7.62x38 military surplus ammo from most milsurp sites. AIMSurplus has it I think. I bought a case of it a while back.

I've only shot Prvi out of mine. They punch holes in paper, milk jugs, soda cans, clay pigeons, and ring plates just fine. if Oleg the Angry gets fired up, I assure you the Nagant revolver is the LAST thing I'm going for. Ole Oleg will have a date with 230grs of silvery goodness :D So the Prvi works well for my use. haha

Back