6mm Creedmore merits

RE post#37
Deerhunger61 - If you're going to quote me, please keep my words separate from others, otherwise it really isn't a quote at all. It makes it easier if you use the quote feature, and that makes it easier to understand the point you're trying make.

Mark, you again misunderstand me. I meant the 6mm creed will have a tall task competing with the 243 win. In sales.

Actually, I was being a bit sarcastic. :D

And, yes, the twist is up to the firearms manufacturer, not the cartridge maker. That is pretty clear and EXACTLY what I said. People keep associating twist with the cartridge when there is no connection.

MarkCO,

The Standard twist rate for a .243 is 1 in 10 while the twist rate for 6mm Creedmoor as a rule is 1 in 8 or better.

Have you spoke to anyone, know anyone, that has purchased a 6mm CM? Do you know what the twist rate is? Do you understand that there is a reason for the twist rates to be what they are? Either factory or custom built? You keep speaking about it as if the twist rate doesn't matter to the performance of the cartridge and it absolutely does IF you are talking about a factory produced .243 vs a 6mm CM. Are you so blind by that you can't understand that twist rate AND cartridge/bullet does in fact matter when looking at performance? You seem to be stuck...can't see the forest for the trees...

The Standard twist rate for a .243 is 1 in 10 while the twist rate for 6mm Creedmoor as a rule is 1 in 8 or better.

Have you spoke to anyone, know anyone, that has purchased a 6mm CM? Do you know what the twist rate is? Do you understand that there is a reason for the twist rates to be what they are? Either factory or custom built? You keep speaking about it as if the twist rate doesn't matter to the performance of the cartridge and it absolutely does IF you are talking about a factory produced .243 vs a 6mm CM. Are you so blind by that you can't understand that twist rate AND cartridge/bullet does in fact matter when looking at performance? You seem to be stuck...can't see the forest for the trees...
January 29, 2017 10:56 PM

Ignorance abounds...there is no "standard" twist rate for anything. Typical, maybe, but show me the SAAMI standard that supports your assertion, or stop calling it a standard! Yes twist rate matters a LOT, and I have repeatedly said so. But cartridge and twist rate, again, are independent. Picking one does NOT set the other in stone. Twist, rate, bullet and cartridge are all choices. Pick a bullet and regardless of .243Win, 6CM, 6x47, etc. there will be a twist rate that is best for it and that twist rate is the SAME for all three calibers.

I have shot several 6CMs, in three different twist rates. It is a good cartridge.

Ignorance abounds...there is no "standard" twist rate for anything. Typical, maybe, but show me the SAAMI standard that supports your assertion, or stop calling it a standard! Yes twist rate matters a LOT, and I have repeatedly said so. But cartridge and twist rate, again, are independent. Picking one does NOT set the other in stone. Twist, rate, bullet and cartridge are all choices. Pick a bullet and regardless of .243Win, 6CM, 6x47, etc. there will be a twist rate that is best for it and that twist rate is the SAME for all three calibers.

I have shot several 6CMs, in three different twist rates. It is a good cartridge.

You are simply a jerk trying to show everyone how smart you think you are...there are common twist rates and it is very uncommon for a 243 to have a factory twist rate of 8 in 1 but you simply refuse to acknowledge the truth of the statements I have made...you'd rather parce words to try and make you look intelligent but it simply makes you look like the jerk that you are.

Actually MarkCO is correct there isn't a standard twist on .243 Win, and yes I can't think of a single 1:8 factory rifle. If you go with the just current Ruger, Remington, Savage, and Winchester offerings, Winchester is the only manufacturer still using the 1:10 twist. Ruger uses a 1:9 , Savage and Remington both list 1:9.25 for their twist rates.

When Winchester released the .243 it had a 1:10 twist rate, and there are several makers still using that as the twist. I'd even venture a guess that there are more 1:10 twist rifles out there If you search through every brand of .243 offered. However, to find a faster twist isn't uncommon either.

I have an eight page PDF file on my phone that is a pretty comprehensive list of manufacturer"s twist rates for given cartridges they chambered. It shows that over the years gun makers such as Remington, Browning, Savage, Winchester, etc. produced rifles chambered for 243 Winchester in five different twist rates ranging from 1 in 9" to 1 in 12". One in 10" was the most popular, that is true, but "standard" no.

As an example, the chart indicates Remington used 1 in 9" for awhile, then changed at some point to 1 in 9 1/8" except for their target model the 40XB which was 1 in 10"

I wish I could provide a link to the chart, I refer to often and find it interesting to just peruse occasionally. 223 Remington has been offered in six different twist rates by major manufacturers ranging from 1 in 7" to 1 in 14".

I'm going to do a net search to see if I can find it again so I can provide a link.

Back