6mm Creedmore merits

But I bet you can't load the Berger's to the lands and remain magazine length. I can't do it with either of mine - 260 or 260 AI. I have no problem loading to the lands with my two 6.5 Creedmoor's and being well within magazine length limits.

Txhillbilly said:
But I bet you can't load the Berger's to the lands and remain magazine length.

I couldn't in the .243 either. Luckily the Berger VLD bullets got the best accuracy at .130" jump. That made it easy to keep it a repeater.

Which is really funny, because I have absolutely no problems loading the 140gr Berger VLD to mag length in my 260.

I don't know anything about the rifle you're loading for, but I would say that's lucky for you. Perhaps your rifle is a custom. Others may have a different experience with their rifles chambered for 260.

6.5 Creedmoor owners, get a little more flexibility with a wider variety of bullets whether you think they need it not. Apparently a whole bunch of competitive and casual shooters are choosing to take advantage of it. Do some google research into what the top guys are winning with these days and I think you'll find the Creedmoor ahead of 260. Must be something there, they can't all be wrong.

BTW I believe the current world record for 10 shots is still a bit under 2 3/4". It was shot with a 6mm Dasher which I understand is a 6mm BR improved (short, sharp shoulder, lots of bullet out of the case). I wonder why on earth he felt like he needed that when there are so many 243s out there?

Last edited:
BTW I believe the current world record for 10 shots is still a bit under 2 3/4". It was shot with a 6mm Dasher which I understand is a 6mm BR improved (short, sharp shoulder, lots of bullet out of the case). I wonder why on earth he felt like he needed that when there are so many 243s out there?

It was kind of a group think of Dan Dowling and Al Ashton for the 22 Dasher, which they then necked up to 6mm. Small primer was one of the biggest pluses of the 6 Dasher. But light case neck tension on a short case was a plus as well.

FWIW, Al Ashton is still kicking about and is on the BOD of the Colorado Rifle Club. When I told him PRS guys were starting to use 6 Dasher, he was a little surprised, and happy. He and Dan did years ago what folks are reinventing.

As often happens, we're getting off the op.

There seems to be no point in getting into 6mm Creedmoor at all.

So, I would say, it sort of a thing for competition shooters like 6mmx47 Lapua, 6xc etc., but Ruger is offering it to the public at large. I wouldn't sell a good shooting 243 so I could buy one but I wouldn't close my mind to it either. It offers a slight improvement for the same reasons its 6.5 CM sibling does. If you need those slight advantages, take them, otherwise don't.

This whole thing kinda reminds me of drag and stock car racing. It used to be said, "what wins on the Sunday, sells on Monday". In the automotive world, it really was/is true that "racing improves the breed". I don't think it's a stretch to apply that to competitive shooting. Those guys are sharp innovators, and the rest of us benefit from what they share.

oldscot3 said:
I don't know anything about the rifle you're loading for, but I would say that's lucky for you. Perhaps your rifle is a custom. Others may have a different experience with their rifles chambered for 260.

Savage with an Apache barrel, Hart LRT stock, and PTG bottom metal. I know others with completely different rifles that have no problems with long bullets in the 260 either. From what I've seen, it's just not an issue.

I know others with completely different rifles that have no problems with long bullets in the 260 either. From what I've seen, it's just not an issue

This is from the introduction of Sierra's 6.5 Creedmoor load data...

"This short action design was created to maximize case capacity and a wide range of loaded lengths, while still fitting in standard short action magazines."

It may not be issue in your custom rifle but apparently it was issue for someone, at some time in the past.

From what I've seen posted, it seems the only merit to the 6mm CreeMOOR is for competition and target shooting.

I figured I was right, if I want a super flat deer rifle, I'll stick with the tried and true .243 Winchester.

I figured I was right, if I want a super flat deer rifle, I'll stick with the tried and true .243 Winchester.

Yes. Now that you've modified your OP to specify "deer rifle" you should keep your 243. The 6mm Creedmoor is obviously not for you.

Yes. Now that you've modified your OP to specify "deer rifle" you should keep your 243. The 6mm Creedmoor is obviously not for you.
I didn't make the thread to see if I wanted it, but to see what 6mm Creedmoor did that made it stand out as better than other cartridges of the same relative caliber and velocities. Having said that, it seems the only thing most posters have made mention of that 6mm Creedmoor is best for something that's non-hunting, non anti-personnel, non-plinking use.

If that's the case, I don't have a use for it.

I didn't make the thread to see if I wanted it

and then you conclude.

I don't have a use for it.

Maybe it's just me but this is a little confusing, but that's why I say it's not for you.

Your OP made me think that perhaps, as a 243 fan, you're making the case that the 6mm Creedmoor has no purpose whatsoever and shouldn't exist. If that's the case, it's my opinion, that like the 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 260, the 6mm Creedmoor is a slightly better case design for reasons already stated. If, however, a person already has a 243 or a 260 that shoots well, it probably doesn't make any sense to replace it with a Creedmoor.

6mm Creedmore, same story as 90% of the cartridges we have; not better, just different.
The 6.5 Creedmore did well for many reasons. The main reason was it filled a niche. The .260 had never been successful. The 6.5x55 was limited due to the fact it had to be downloaded for old actions. 6.5x284 never really made it out of long range bench rest circles.

Now? Competing with the .243 Winchester, thats a tall task indeed.:rolleyes:

I shoot and reload both 260 and 6.5 creedmoor quite a bit in my AR10 builds--they both shoot great with the right loads I honestly can't tell the difference in actual target performance (though maybe it's me not being up to squeezing out all the potential). In terms of flexibility and maximizing utility of powder space vs bullet space--the creedmoor has a very small edge IMO. Unless you're in world-class space gun class shooting--I doubt the difference between the two is worth quibbling about. The creedmoor is not a wildcat--it's an original design from the ground up.

Quote:
I didn't make the thread to see if I wanted it, but to see what 6mm Creedmoor did that made it stand out as better than other cartridges of the same relative caliber and velocities. Having said that, it seems the only thing most posters have made mention of that 6mm Creedmoor is best for something that's non-hunting, non anti-personnel, non-plinking use.

If that's the case, I don't have a use for it.

The one thing that's discussed is its accuracy and faster twist rate which enables it to stabilize a heavier bullet....all of these makes it a better deer cartridge than a .243. I own a .243 and it will not shoot anything heavier than a 90 grain bullet worth spit. I'll take a 6mm Creedmoor over a 243 every day of the week.

The one thing that's discussed is its accuracy and faster twist rate which enables it to stabilize a heavier bullet....all of these makes it a better deer cartridge than a .243. I own a .243 and it will not shoot anything heavier than a 90 grain bullet worth spit. I'll take a 6mm Creedmoor over a 243 every day of the week.

Which is a "firearm spec" issue and NOT a cartridge issue at all.

"Which is a firearm spec issue and NOT a cartridge issue at all."

EXCUSE me...but he was thinking about....THE BENEFIT!!! His quote below...Which is EXACTLY what I addressed!!!

"It got me to thinking, what's the benefit"

Perhaps in the future you'll read his post more carefully? Or not....A little snotty there weren't you...lol

Mark, what twist a barrel has is up to the manufacturer of the rifle. They can twist it anything they want so long as they do not do something stupid like 1 in 4 and cause a pressure issue.

Back