600 Yard Elk Rifle Advice

emcon5 Wrote:Which is relevant how?

Nothing shoots "flat" enough to compensate for an inaccurate range call at that kind of distance.

Who cares if you have to put ~3 MOA more elevation on the gun, you still need to spin the knob, and if you get the range call wrong, or your predicted trajectory doesn't match reality (which is pretty common) then you have the same result, a cripple or a miss.

Not sure who said flatness is a cure all for any type of shooting mistakes. A flatter shooting cartridge is a little less forgiving for range estimations. There also may a time that you have to shoot through an opening. Not sure what case a rainbow trajectory would be an advantage while hunting. Using Kentucky windage, there could be a difference of holding at the top of an animal vs holding at a estimated height above the animal. I'll take the flatter shooting round that also hits harder considering its worked well for me.

If you are going to be fumble fingered and drop something, it's less of a pain to wipe mud or snow off a round or two than to get it out of a box magazine ...... just sayin' ........ and you will never forget to bring or lose an internal magazine. I know these things because I have been taking little kids hunting for more than a decade ...... and Murphy goes where kids go.

That's true, parts can get lost. But I've fumbled ammo a lot more than I've fumbled magazines, so gained convenience in one area is pretty much always pulled from convenience in another area. Firearms are always a compromise between a bunch of competing factors, so picking out what you like doesn't make a different set of compromises wrong.

I've also had internal magazines bind up on me (Savage) and more than one hunter has experienced a swiveled floor plate come undone under recoil (Ruger had a little bit of a reputation with some of their early magnum M77s) spilling the remaining rounds onto the dirt, and sometimes magazines just fall the heck out cause Murphy really is a downright ornery cuss (the curse of the "modern sporting rifle" trying to seat a loaded mag under a closed bolt). Those folks shooting single shots might have some good points to make about reliability.

Jimro

HiBC,

I'm sorry, my posting was not aimed at you. I was merely trying to point the OP in a direction that may, or may not help him.

I have my 7mm Rem Mag, about equal in recoil to most 30-06's, set up for longer range shots. (600+)

Anything in the 450yard range would get a dose of 7mm-08AI.

No problem,std7.

I have a longer range win M-70 Classic Laredo. Was looking at building something but they went on sale,closeout $599 or so,years ago.
Put a 4.5-14 Leu 30 mm long range mildot on it.Its a 7mm Rem. I have not carried it for game hunting.Calving overwatch.
I use a 162 gr SST Hornady. Flies pretty good,and its "loose"

I have had access to about 3.5 sections where I could long range shoot.I had an 1100 yd spot.,a good 300 yd target spot,a fenceline two track over rolling terrain I could set up at 3,4,and 5,then back up a hundred or two.A 600 yd downhill,a 1000 yd downhill.

Coyotes,pronghorn,and prairie dogs. Folks pass away,things move on.

I don't have a problem shooting at a prairie dog at 600 yds with a 7mm Rem.Or a coyote.That does not mean I don't miss.I do.

I can get steady enough,one way or another,to keep crosshairs on a target at 1000 yds long enough to jerk a trigger and see what happens. I've got the Leica Rangefinder and the Kestrel wind meter.I know about the I-pod and the software and click-click-click.

But I don't like to haul all that stuff hunting. At 300,to maybe 400,I can pretty much know something is going to dropdead. Duplex range estimation,mildot style,and Kentucky windage.For just about everyone,the "iffy"goes up pretty fast past that.

Talking about it is easy.Describing the rifles and cartridges and having a good time is easy. Spending money is easy.

But you can't buy 8800 ft altidude cold tired breathing rangefinder won't read,wind is gusting,the bull is walking to the trees ,one chance,cold barrel "yes,I'm going to deliver a human kill" 600 yard skill.

In the real world,400 yds is FAR on a game animal in the field.

And,for myself,2600 fps and a 1.5 to 5 VX 3 is what I carried last couple elk hunts. A 300 yd outfit.Long range guns stayed home.
I have to say I saw a "hunt" video from a DVD. IIRC,it was some form of "outfitter",or wanabe. The plan was crossing hill tops,and shooting at the reverse slope of the next hill.
Average mediocre shots,no ballistic knowledge. Launching a barrage at maybe 700 yds .Multiple shooters shooting at multiple animals. Multiple hits,anywhere on the animals. Some animals down,whooping,hollering,congratutations. These guys were giddy heroes .750yds!! Wow.
I was disgusted.
I know,there are SOME clean,long range hunters.

No problem!

There are those without a clue who keep reloading and and holding higher.

And there are those who say"Too far" "What do you say we get tired,uncomfortable,bruise our knees,roll in cactus,get our adrenaline up,get all quivery like a bird dog on point,and try to get 200 yds closer?"

Browning X Bolt 300 WSM

Gentlemen, I appreciate all the great advice. Purchased a Browning X Bolt in 300 WSM and a new Leupold VX-3 CDS 4.5x14.

Time to hit the range, pick my load, zero, chrono, and send in my data for the CDS turret.

My gun club, Clark Rifles, allows targets posted out to 300 yards so I'll get her dialed in there, get my CDS Turret installed, then take her down to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Esstacada OR where I'm told they have a 1000 yard range. Should allow me to see if Leupolds CDS system really works out to 600.

For the record, the hunt is on a buddies family property "not proffesionaly guided" but he has hunted it all his life and he's the one telling me that 400 to 600 yard opportunities are plentiful.

I'm more than happy to stalk to within 400 if possible but I'm also a disciplined shooter who likes to master a platform and ring every ounce of potential out of it... buying lots of practice ammo is not a problem and I've got 9 MONTHS of good reason to shoot every weekend.

Tack

Best of luck!!
You might consider the Long Range Accubond.I like the regular Accubond.Have not used the LR but they have a good BC

I hunt on the Idaho/Montana Boarder and I dont use a 600 yard gun. Out in the Selway (the area I hunt) the brush is pretty thick. A 150-200 yard shot is about as far as I have ever gotten. Most are under 100 yards.

Lot will depend on what area of Montana you hunt in. I Hunt in a pretty heavy (for the west) forest. I use a 45-70 Govt.

The best advise I have for you is be prepared to walk.

Just me, but I ain't leaving the house if they tell me that I am going to have to make 600 shot on an elk...they can let someone else go in my place. I expect them to earn their money and get me within a reasonable shooting distance.

This. 300 yards with your '06 should be fine... but I fully support buying gratuitous amounts of guns. So, buy whatever 300 WSM feels best to you and enjoy.

Yep, get a gun you can make one tight group at 300 yards and then learn TO HUNT and STALK your quarry..........It IS called "hunting", not "long range sniping"

I can't think of a single downside to having DBM on a hunting rifle for non-dangerous game, but that's just me.

Already covered before I got to it, the downsides are detachable can detach when you don't want it to, can become lost, or damaged.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the downside of a DBM on a dangerous game rifle that wouldn't also be a downside on a non dangerous game rifle??

The only difference I an see is that consequences to you, of a problem could be more severe where dangerous game is involved. The actual problems will be the same as far as the rifle is concerned.

On DBM's

They vary in design.Some are cheesy. I'm thinking battle is as serious as hunting cape buffalo.
I don't think there is a lot of problem with detachable magazines falling out of battle rifles and carbines.
Poor design and poor materials CAN be a problem with any system.

Laws vary by state.Colorado is quite serious about having a loaded round in the chamber in a vehicle.Just don't!
Howfever,rounds in a magazine are not an issue,at least from a hunting standpoint.Local/metro rules may be different.

As far as a DBM for firepower purposes,IMO,its not a consideration hunting.
Even with magazines that are 3 + 1 in magnum cartridges,I often walk with an empty chamber.A total of three in the gun really should be plenty.

My point, junk is junk,but between the classic fixed bolt action mag and a DBM,pick one.It makes no difference.
I like the fixed ones.I'm not all that impressed by hinged floorplates.I've seen those dump.

Back