6 mm Remington, sad its gone for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim Carmichael's take on the .244/6mm is interesting, but I've seen the opposite of what he's apparently see -- I have seen several .244s shoot very poorly with heavy bullets.

I also don't think that his reasoning for why the .243 outsold the .244 (prettiness of the rifles) holds much sway -- the 722 sold very well for its entire life.

I have had my 6mm 700 since the mid-70's. Bedded the receiver, polished everything inside that moved; with a lot of effort, and with a lot, really a lot of effort, removed the shiny finish and replaced it with oil - I hate shiny finishes on hunting guns.

I used it mostly for varmits and a few whitetails. Its performance on groundhogs and crows out to 350 yards was excellent (never had opportunities for longer shots). On several occasions on the range it shot 1 hole groups at 100 yds.

I stopped hunting and most shooting 25 years ago and the rifle had not been fired since then. All my load data was lost in a move and I started over last year. Amazing that the scope zero had not changed. At age 72 I can't seem to shoot 1 hole groups any more - must be the rifle, maybe some practice......

I learned about the 700 trigger issue very late and replaced it with a Timney - wish I had done that years ago.

It does a hell of a job on coyotes using 58 grain Vmax pushed to near max. velocity.

The 6mm ain't dead - by a long shot !

Last edited:
JBM Ballistics

Calculates a stability figure of 1.200 if a Nosler 100 gr. Partition is fired from a 12 twist barrel at 2950 fps. That is inadequate.

"Stability The Miller stability value. It should be between 1.3 and 2.0 to ensure stabilty (the military uses 1.5)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back