6 mm Remington, sad its gone for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has managed to resurrect the .348?

There's only one loading for it anymore, and it won't be too long before it's put on the "subject to available stock" list, which is just another way of saying "out of production."

Browning put out some limited editions in 348, I don't remember how many but it was quite a few. I still hold onto hope of one day finding an origional 71 in 348. Thats my dream rifle right there:rolleyes:

The 6mm Rem is not gone. But sales were always slow relative to the 243 win. If you were buying a new rifle today and the same rifle was chambered in both the 243 and 6mm, which would you buy? Me, I'd buy the 243. Tis the problem.

"Yes it was put in rifles like the 700, 788 and 7600...but the accuracy was always the issue. Every person I talked to said the anything early from Remington in 244 or 6mm naming didn't do as well as hoped."

Handloaders found that out in spades when they tried loading 100 to 105 grain bullets in the slow 1-12 twist barrels that Remington put on the .244s.

With bullets of 90 grains and below and a minor amount of effort on the handloader's part the .244 would turn in accuracy figures just as good, or better, than anything on the market at the time, including the .243.

"Now why the 788 and 7600 are popular now, you must remember two things. The 788 is notorious for having broken bolt handles, not a problem that a deer hunter wants."

The 788 sold well during its entire production run and was, as I noted, Remington's most accurate out of the box rifle. Yes, bolt handles have been a problem over the years, but the entire 788 subject is, as I noted, more of an aside because it wasn't introduced until 1967.

Remington's pump rifles were always very good sellers, right back to the introduction of Remington's first high-power pump rifles in 1912. Their big appeal was that they provided full-powered hunting cartridges like the .30-06 in an accurate, fast handling, and fast operating gun.

"Browning put out some limited editions in 348"

Sorry, Ty, but to my way of thinking that doesn't come close to a resurection for the cartridge. All it did was give the round a limited puff of life.

The .45-70, the .45 Long Colt? Those rounds have truly been resurected.

My guess this buck could be in the 150-175 lb weight scale.

Would be perfect headshot on my Remington .25 06 100 gr Nosler BT.

PAwoodswtbuck.jpg

6mm Remington

"Chow Chow" you said, "6 mm Remington, sad its gone for good."

With TENs of Thousands of rifles still out there in 6mm Rem. did they just evaporate? Won't these rifles be shot for the next 20+ years?

"Rampant Colt" you said, "Too bad it's officially dead now."

Who said the 6mm is "dead"? Who made the "official" declaration? Was it a "official internet want to be expert"?

"Omaha-BeenGlockin" you said, "...the .243 also benefits from being from a whole family of cartridges based on a common military case."

Just where do you think the case for the 6mm Rem. came from? Didn't the 6mm Rem. ALSO "benefit from a whole family of cartridges based on a common military case."

Have you ever heard of the 7.65x53mm Mauser, .257 Roberts, 6.5x57mm Mauser, 7x57mm Mauser and 8x57mm Mauser plus the rimmed, lengthened, larger bore and improved versions of these? Do you know what cartridges influenced the development of the .30-03 and the paniced update to the .30-06 (with its own entire family of cartridges and variants)? Do you know what older/original cartridges had nearly identical dimensions to the .308 except for length?

C.

Back when Remington was hashing around the names of the 6mm I thought they should scraped the round come out with a standardized 6mm Ackley Improved. While the 6mm Rem and the 243 Win are fairly close in performance, the 6mm Improved would leave the 243 in it's dust. Of course I thought they should have done the same with the 35 whelen.

I could be completely wrong here but I also think that "mm" cartridges were not getting a lot of play at that time because the metric system was trying to be shoved down Americans throat and most of the general public wanted none of it. I still think that the "mm" designation has some resistance although the 7mmRemington Magnum was a huge success due to "magnumitis" at the time. The 7x57 Mauser, 8x57 Mauser, and the 6.5 Swede all enjoyed popularity based on influxes of cheap former military rifles and were very good cartridges. Winchester made a corporate decision when they introduced the 325WSM not to call it an 8mm for the sake of marketing. (Remember the 8mmRemington Magnum? Not many do) I think that the expected early demise of the 7mmWSM and the relative popularity of the 270WSM is all about the metric designation. Some say that because of the 7mmRemington magnum the new Winchester 7mmWSM didn't offer any significant performance increase which doomed it but that doesn't explain why the 270WSM is enjoying some popularity because it offers nothing that the 7mmWSM won't do better. It goes without saying that the information that I offer here is just my opinion and I will certainly yield to others with more knowledge. As in the past, new cartridges will come and go and a very select few will catch on and become big hits. One good thing about "good" cartridges that lose popularity is the resale value goes up. I notice on Gunbroker.com that anything chambered in 6mmRemington commands a good price. The 6mmRemington is a fine cartridge and it did deserve better.....but then again, so did my wife!:D

Seldom hear this in 6mm/243 discussions

If someone is considering buying a 6mm/243
This is my experience, I had a 6mm and 243, both were Rem 700's
I reloaded most all the ammo that was shot out of both rifles.
When I set bullets near the rifling in my 6mm; the ammo would not fit thru the magazine
If I were shooting a single shot varminter rifle the Over all length would not be an issue, but wanting to be able to chamber a quick 2nd round while deer hunting, is a big issue to me.

Just my opinion, but trying to stuff the mauser case in a short action rifle did not help the 6mm.
Im sure some see it as a benefit, but I saw the extra long neck on the 6mm as an un-nessesary drawback making the already long case, even longer ~ then trying to jamm it in a short bolt action rifle & thats what killed the 6mm for me.
I guess I compare the 2 rounds from a short bolt action rifle prospective, in which I believe the 243 far outshines the 6mm.
IMHO I think Remington should have shortened the neck on the 6mm, if they wanted a competitve short bolt action rifle to the 243 ~ and if they didnt care about the length they should have commericalized a 6mm06.
That worked well for Remington w/ the 25-06 rem vs 257 roberts
further evidence is seen in sales of, 7mm mauser vs 7mm08 & 280rem
both the latter out sell 7mm mausers
& Q.what new round did Remington bring out few years back? a 6.5 mauser?
A. No, they gave us a 6.5mm08 ~~~ 260rem
IMO ~ 08 and 06 based cartridges outshine mauser based cartridges.

Last edited:
It seems everybody is right. I picked up a $20.oo .244 take off barrel at a gun show. I knew what I was getting into but the price was right. Put together a light mountain rifle. I have to use Hornady 100 Grain RN to get decent groups at 100 yards, but it is fine for my intentions. That is about all you can shoot out of it accurately. When it comes to the MM stigma, it was really bad back then. It doesn't matter that much now but the gun companies still stay away from MM designations. I watched a show with a Winchester representative being interviewed about their new .325. When asked if that was actually an 8MM, he looked embarrassed and said "We don't like to call it that." For some reason certain MM designations just won't go in this country.

Guess its how you view it

IMO ~ 08 and 06 based cartridges outshine mauser based cartridges.

Since they all share the same head size (.473"), and the only thing that differs in any of the mauser/06/08 cases is length, shoulder and neck dimensions, and since the 8x57 case dates back to 1888, nce could make a good case that they are all derived from the Mauser case, made longer, or shorter depending on the requirements of the maker.

Take an 8mm Mauser casehead size, make it 6mm longer in body length, give it your own desired taper, shoulder angle and a .30 cal mouth and you have the .30-06. Cut it way back short and neck it way down to .25 and make a .250 Savage. Even today, a majority of sporting rifles uses case with that original Mauser head size.

Im sure some see it as a benefit, but I saw the extra long neck on the 6mm as an un-nessesary drawback making the already long case, even longer ~ then trying to jamm it in a short bolt action rifle & thats what killed the 6mm for me.

IMR I agree with that. That was one of the complaints about the 7x57 and 8x57 is that a long action was needed and the magazine would have allowed a longer case with more powder.

I could be completely wrong here but I also think that "mm" cartridges were not getting a lot of play at that time because the metric system was trying to be shoved down Americans throat and most of the general public wanted none of it.

Yep and I still don't like the metric system. I grew up working in my dads machine shop and have the fraction stuff down pat. I really don't need a new way to measure length, miles or quantities of liquid.

My shooting buddy and I are always in a friendly competition. He has two 6mm rifles, a Ruger MK1 and a Remington 700 ADL with a synthetic stock and I have a 700 ADL synthetic stock 243.

I normally get around 2925fps with a 100gr bullet and he will get close to 3000fps with the same bullet weight. I like to load 80-90gr bullets and label the box 100gr bullet and then shoot about 50-75fps faster than him. It drives him crazy because my gun is faster. Some day I will tell him what I have been doing but for now he just has to keep trying to outrun me. Velocity is very important to him. I just tell him I found a magic powder that gets a little more velocity. I just won't tell him what it is.

He prefers the 6mm because of the slightly longer neck. I keep telling him the only advantage to a long neck is if you are shooting cast lead bullets you don't want the base of the bullet down in the powder chamber. I have never opened a box of 243s and the bullets fall out because of the short neck.

To me the biggest advantage to the 243 is that brass is easy to come by. I don't think there is 10 cents worth of difference between them.

You guys are certainly a quirky lot. In a recent 243 vs 25-06 thread, the majority of posts were supportive/defensive of the 243 over the 25-06 for reasons which had nothing to do with the capabilities of the round itself. Ammo availability was oft cited as a 'plus' in the 243 column despite its close-but-not-quite ballistics. In fact, all the posts in defense of the 243 were a thinly veiled effort to distract from the fact that it can't quite match the 25-06.
Now the majority of you guys are supporting the 6mm in direct contradiction to all the reasons previously stated in favor of the 243. Are you guys simply hypocrites? If not, maybe someone can explain this abstract logic to me.
Btw if its my money, i'll buy a 243 over a 6mm every time like most of America has chosen to do. However, i'd choose my 25-06 above either of them.

I could be completely wrong here but I also think that "mm" cartridges were not getting a lot of play at that time because the metric system was trying to be shoved down Americans throat and most of the general public wanted none of it.
You'd be wrong - big time. Ever heard of the 7mm Remington Magnum? I thought so. Introduced in 1962, it has outsold every other magnum cartridge and was wildly popular right after its introduction. I love it when the unknowing make up "facts" to fit silly theories.

can you guys help me out a little?

I thought the 6mm was made for "long action" rifles.

This came up in another thread I started when I was asking for advice on what calibers to consider for a remodel of a 700 Remington .270........... I want to pull the barrel off of this long action and put another barrel on it, mainly for long range target shooting/varmints.

Someone suggested the 6mm Rem because I have a long action. Either that or a 6mm AI sound interesting. I don't know how it would work to try shooting a round normally chambered in short actions.... like a .243, or 6mmbr, etc.

The notion that the 6mm Rem is dead is preposterous! An associate of mine has a custom barreled pre-64 MdDL 70. He bought dies, powder, ect to to learn to reload on my press and we went shooting. HIs rifle with Swaro optics was amazingly accurate, Because a cartridge is not the leading seller in ammo or rifles certainly doesn't make it dead. This dead cartridge is in everyway superior to the 243, in any manner that matters to a reloader or shooter. The antelope he took this year didn't realize it was dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back