6.5 PRC vs .264 Win Mag

A friend took some successful hunters out on his acreage to shoot at targets at ranges known to him but not them. They had all the advantages, steady position, stationary, clearly visible targets. They were all done by 300 meters, most at less.

Another friend's prize elk was from ca 450 yards. He had the leading trick reticle of the day, the Shepherd. I asked him which ring he used for his .300 Win Mag at that range. He said, "I just held the crosshairs over his back and shot until I hit him."

a long way

As has been noted now by several posters, 400-600 yds is quite a poke. I don't know about the OP's "friend", but I wouldn't be confident shooting at any big game animal at such distances.

Rangefinders and optics have changed the game, but what hasn't change is the wind, shooters ability (or lack of it) from field positions, and animal behavior. Shooters without a laser will need to be good at range estimations. Long distance hunting is all the rage these days, but most game is likely killed under 300 yds,and with whitetails, I'd wager under 100.

For anybody considering such long shots, I'd suggest the following. Take a standard white paper plate 9-10" in diameter and staple it to a tomato stake. That is the vitals of your "trophy deer". Find a place you can safely shoot 5-600yds.......and that won't be easy for a lot of us. With your rifle, from field set ups, (say over a pack) without ranging shots or sighters, in a reasonable time frame to simulate hunting conditions, take a shot. I'd bet over 75% of folks trying that will miss, especially if it is not a known distance. A miss laterally due to poor wind read, is a possible gut shot, and a low shot, due to error in ranging, is a possible broken leg. Heck, a lot of folks will miss that shot at half the distance.

6.5 PRC vs 264 Win Mag

If a person really wanted to know which caliber is shooting the best at ELR . Then just look at the Results of the competition in King Of The ONE Mile or King Of The 2 MILE. They also see what everyone is shooting of the top 90.
The 6.5 PRC is in the top 10 and Top 20 ranking s a bunch of times. The 264 Win. Mag does not even make the list at all.

Back