6.5 based on .223 case?

txhillbilly--I'm curious--is the shoulder set back far enough on that to accomodate a good selections of 6.5 bullets--the ones with higher BC's tend to be quite long? I remember from my 6.8 spc reloading days that was and issue with quite a few .277 bullets.

^stagpanther,I haven't tried seating anything but 100 gr bullets in this case yet. I'm really not interested in shooting heavier bullets with it,since I have 3 other 6.5mm caliber rifles that shoot the heavy bullets very well. I want to try and build a sub-sonic load with the 160 grain bullets,but it may not work very well.

Some other guy's that have this set-up are shooting steel at 600 yards with the 123 gr bullets,so they seem to work fairly well with them.

^stagpanther,I haven't tried seating anything but 100 gr bullets in this case yet. I'm really not interested in shooting heavier bullets with it,since I have 3 other 6.5mm caliber rifles that shoot the heavy bullets very well. I want to try and build a sub-sonic load with the 160 grain bullets,but it may not work very well.

Some other guy's that have this set-up are shooting steel at 600 yards with the 123 gr bullets,so they seem to work fairly well with them.
I do a lot of 6.5 reloading as well--I guess what I meant was are you using mostly flat-base type bullets or do the longer spitzer/boat-tails work as well?

Well, I am thinking about it for a CZ mini action.

In this case, do consider the grindel, which uses the 762x39 head diameter and the cz 527 is available in 762x39. If you start with that version of 527 you are way ahead in the 6.5 department. or maybe your 223 can be upgraded with 762 parts?

I think the 6.5 grindel wold be a nice factory 527 option, if; cz ever decided to make run of those.

fourbore said:
I think the 6.5 grindel wold be a nice factory 527 option, if; cz ever decided to make run of those

Howa is supposedly coming out with a 6.5 Grendel in their mini action rifle in a couple of months. Maybe it'll make CZ or Zastava build one as well on their actions. I'm thinking of adding the Howa to my stable.

If a couple good rifles come available in grendel it would be a boost to the round and in a cz527 make a better deer rifle than 762x39.

I have also been thinking about a 6.5 sweed, the grendel would be an alternative. Unfortunately the sweedes all are bit on the heavy side. The 527 carbine is very easy to carry.

Back