.54 Pistol Cartridges

When I was in college, I had an internship with the state museum in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and did a lot of work in their military history collections, including LOTS of vintage military cartridges from the Civil War era and before.

I seem to recall that the paper seemed to be primarily a buff or off white color.

As one would expect (due to the huge number of companies contracted to supply ammo and getting their cartridge paper from a variety of sources) the Civil War era cartridges had a lot more variation in color.

The paper used at this time would have been cotton, linen, or other natural plant fiber based, as wood pulp paper manufacture in the United States didn't kick off to any great degree until after the Civil War.

Wood pulp papers also tend to be highly acidic and decay over time (think of a 1950s paperback, newspaper, or magazine, the pages are often yellow and brittle and crumble when touched). Natural fiber paper, however, is quite stable long-term and generally doesn't change color much, if at all, over time.

What Mike says about paper is correct. I have a few books that were published around 1820-1840s and they're still readable unlike some old paperbacks of mine that are very yellow (and if left in the sun would crumble). Cotton-linen fibre paper enjoys greater longevity than the wood based (and acid rich) newsprint.

"Did any of the cartridges resemble mine?"

To be honest, I really don't remember seeing any pistol cartridges for the earlier single shot pistols. There may have been some, I just don't recall.

Regarding paper, paper mills using water power to automate manufacture have been around since the 13th century, possibly even earlier, and have had the ability to vary the "weight" of the paper stock to whatever the demand has been.

The Fourdrinier process, which allowed the manufacture of continuous rolls of paper of virtually any size, was invented in the 1840s and was what really launched wood pulp paper.

William Rittenhouse was the first paper maker in the United States, in Philadelphia in about 1690.

There's a type of paper known as Cartridge Paper, a heavy, rough paper now used as a drawing medium, but which took its name because it was used for firearms cartridges.

Wikipedia has a pretty extensive section on paper cartridges....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cartridge

" I have a few books that were published around 1820-1840s and they're still readable..."

I have a book printed in London in 1595. It's still perfectly readable. Or it would be if I could read Latin.

UPDATE:

Hello everyone! Well I got my horse pistol out to the range today to test the new paper cartridges I made for it. To say the test was succesful is a gross understatement:

20160116_165720.jpg

I fired ten cartridges, and all worked well. Accuracy was amazingly good as you can see. I certainly think that I'm better off with the .509" balls. Ease of loading and the accuracy prove that. I did not have any jams like I had when using cartridges with .520" balls.

Guys, I think I've found my formula:

-Duck brand packing paper
-.509" cast round lead balls
-.6mm thick linen string
-54 grains of GOEX FFg black powder

If anyone is reading this and has the same gun, I believe you would do well to start with this formula if you want to make paper cartridges. I am very pleased with how this project has turned out, now all I need to do is make another couple dozen for shooting next week!! :D

Thanks, Steve!

I was truly amazed at how accurate these were. I dare say the most accurate load I've found for the gun! I believe the stout charge helps.

Back