.500 S&W- Magnum Research vs S&W

forest15

I decided I'm going to buy a .500 S&W, but does anybody have an educated opinion on Smith and Wesson vs. the BFR of Magnum Research? I have owned several Smith and Wesson firearms over the years(all semi automatics, though) and been pleased, just wondering if anyone had and unbiased opinion on the matter.

Hahaha...my friend, i think you will be hard-pressed to find an umbiased opinion on here. That being said, i wish you the best of luck in your search. I have yet to brave the world of uber-caliber as funds are tight these days, but if possible, i would recommend trying the both out (renting?) if possible, and see which is more comfortable (ha!). Cheers!

Petey

I would love to try them out, but none of the ranges in VA Beach that rent guns (we have 3), rent them out... Guess I'll have to buy one on which one seems to have better balance at the gun shop, so far I guess I like the looks of the smith and wesson better...

What do you prefer, single or double action? Base it on that.
I had a 6.5" Performance Center S&W in .500. Good gun and accurate but really heavy. The 500 BFR ain't no lightweight either. I've heard that BFR's are good guns but I've never owned one. Just realize that feeding either one will be expensive even if you reload.

Jim

Jim had it right - if you feel the “need” for a double action then SW would be your choice - If you're open to either single or double action then I think BFR should get the nod. Go to their precision tab and check them out - for $1,250.00 you basically get a custom revolver and you tell them how you want it made relative to barrel length. For a little extra beyond the $1,250.00 you can jazz it up a little if you so desire. For $900.00 you will get a very well made revolver that will hold up to anything thrown at it for your lifetime and your grandkids lifetime. That may also hold for the SW – but I guess the early models were experiencing a few problems around the 1K round count – haven’t heard anything about if SW corrected anything but I would hope they would have.

not sure what's better.

I like my S&W (4" barrel), it is pretty heavy (4 lbs when loaded w/bear loads) when packin around but I'm glad it's so heavy when I shoot it. I had to send it back to the factory to have the cylinder stop replaced... S&W paid for to and from shipping, had it back to me before the end of Silver Salmon season and as one would expect fixed it for free. My overall impression is good, however I've heard pretty good things about the MR. Hope I never have to use the D.A. in a situation besides practice, but it's there if I'm gettin chewed on and remember I have a gun.

I've never fired a .50 and I don't especially want to. But, I have a question for you guys who actually own/want to own these things. I've watched a bunch of UTube clips showing people firing S & W 50s and I've never seen anyone fire one of them double action. Do any of you? And, if shooting these revolvers is pretty much limited to firing sa, then why would it matter if the S & W 50 is a double action revolver?

I know, I know, if you're wandering around in the forest and a grizzly decides to eat you, you're going to want the double action to be able to get off a shot more quickly. But, realistically, how many of you ever expect to be involved in that scenario? So, I repeat my question: is shooting a .50 a single action or a double action activity?

Double action is nice for when the bear chews off your thumbs;)

I only shot my .460 SW a few times in double action to check it out, but it is for hunting, so I shoot mainly single action with it.

With the 8 3/8" barrel and scope, it isn't like I am going to quick draw it...

Other then the gun being heavier, I dont find it any different then shooting any other gun double action up to the point that it goes bang.

The only reason I can think of that people put it into double action on these videos is maybe it reduces their anticipation errors.

However in saying that, have you ever noticed at the range how many folks shooting their DA 38's etc do it in single?

For the longest time I only fired sa. I'd learned how to shoot on a sa revolver (a Single Six) and I was comfortable doing it. I really didn't think much about shooting da, but, when I did, I assumed that I'd be less accurate than when I shot sa. I began shooting da about a year ago and I was astonished to discover that I was MORE accurate (in fact, much more accurate) shooting da than sa. It was simply a matter of the unconscious flinches that I'd developed over the years disappearing when I shot da. I don't shoot sa at all any more.

The main reason I asked about firing a .50 in da is because I've just never seen anyone do it. I'm guess that, if I were ever given the opportunity to fire one of 'em, I'd almost certainly shoot it da because that's now what I'm comfortable doing.

I would love to try them out, but none of the ranges in VA Beach that rent guns (we have 3), rent them out... Guess I'll have to buy one on which one seems to have better balance at the gun shop, so far I guess I like the looks of the smith and wesson better...

The custom shop BFR's, in 500 S*@ are pretty incredible. For about 1200-1300 dollars you pretty much get a 2500 dollar custom gun.

That said, the BFR cylinder was designed for cartridges like the 45-70, which is much longer then the S&@ 500.

The S&@ .500 revolvers follow in the long established stupidity that S&@ prides themselves in. The guns are not capable of more then 1k rounds, without the need for forcing cone replacement, and, top straps with light loads are a problem. This is due to the excessive pressure some factory ammo is loaded to, thanks to the absurd high pressure dictated by S&@, in their desire to have
"The World's Most Powerful Handgun" Award.

You also have to worry about the "Auto-lock" going into action when you don't want it to.

The sensible way to approach this is to load to either minimum 500 S&@ specs, or, use .500 JRH ammo in the gun. IF you hand load to 10k-40k, you should be fine.

Woaha Socrates! I have not heard of this before. I have heard about some folks having issues with the lock but not this!!!???
Have you seen or heard of this with the 460 as well? I do load and
I'll run about 100 rounds through all of my guns at least once a month and I certainly dont want to have a gun that Im replacing parts on after a year!

IIRC, the 460 has the same problem. The sick part is S&@ was charging for the parts that needed to be replace, IIRC.

They did do a recall of Performance Center guns because of these issues.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=10001&content=36817&sectionId=10506

I seem to remember something similar with the 44 magnum, 357 magnum, and 500 S&@ magnum...Can't find it, search wise, right now.

Also keep in mind this same problem, light bullets, hitting the forcing cone, and, top strap cutting, where around in the Ruger Maximums as well.
When cases start getting very high capacity, and, bullets get too light, the only guns that can really stand up to this are the overbuilt FA 83's, and, the BFRs...

Socrates:

That link points to a recall for barrel issues on performance center 460s. I don't see any of the other issues you point out. The recall specifically says it does not apply to regular .460s

I have had my S&W .460 for about 6 months and I am almost 1/2 way to the 1,000 round "forcing cone replacement".

ILS failures are centered around light wieght guns. I have not had an issue with it. I have the 8 3/8" and it is a heavy SOB. So I added a scope to make it heavier :p

If I have problems with my S&W, I will post it. But I absolutely love it.

I shoot it D.A.+-1socrates

I shoot my .500 about half & Half S.A. & D.A. ("rapid fire"), w/heavy loads. I would agree w/socrates that this gun doesn't quite have all of the kinks worked out yet...but I also see him (so far) as a vehement S&W naysayer. Cmon Socrates, without buying/building a custom gun, what packs more punch in a relatively small package than the S&W 500?

S&@ has NO EXCUSE for what they did. They could have set the standard at reasonable levels, and, the guns would last.

40K, and, you still have a VERY powerful gun.
S&@@ as small gun?
BFR with the short cylinder, in .475 is FAR better value wise.

S&@ is banking on the fact that shooting the gun alot is not good for your health, and, few folks can actually shoot the gun enough to log enough rounds to hurt the gun, and, I'm only talking 1k.

The .500JRH is really what the 500 S&@ should have been.
5-6 feet of buffalo, and, with 25% more recoil then a 44...
Compound that, with a bunch of REALLY cheap, MIM parts, in a 1200 dollar revolver, and, I'm sorry, but, I'm a S&@ hater...
And, I learned that from my 360PD. A 12 oz gun, with cheap MIM parts, with a trigger pull @ 15 pounds, or more, and, feels like 40 grit sandpaper, for, 1000 dollars?

Soc...didn't know you could hunt Bear in California??

We have cars, and, we can drive out of state, I think. I'm sure our legislature will try and make that illegal soon...:mad:

Bears can certainly hunt you in Kali, and, mountain lions are really coming back...

I have an original S&W 500 in 8 3/8 bbl. Have fired over between 1500-2000 rounds at a 60-40 mix of heavy-light loads. I've taken it to Africa twice and killed a Cape Buffalo in Mozambique as well as a world record #1 Suni. In Zambia I took two new world record antelope with it as well.

I have purchased a second 500 4" and a 460 8 3/8. I have had no problems with any of the S&W X-frames. When hunting with them I do not carry a rifle, so I am putting my life behind the S&W revolvers, literally.

I also have world record African animals from a Ruger .480 Super Redhawk used prior to the S&W 500. The Ruger is nowhere near the gun nor the caliber of the S&W.

I note, as have others, that Socrates has a lot to say on many subjects. I also note that he never states his qualifications, not in his posts nor in his profile. Consequently, I choose to pay little attention to his opinions, which is all he's got.

Semper Fi

Back