.45 Woods Gun - Ruger New Vaquero or Ruger 1911?

.45 Woods Gun - Ruger New Vaquero or Ruger 1911?

• Ruger New Vaquero

Votes: 78 75.7%
  • Ruger 1911

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like there is overwhelming support for the New Vaquero in .45 Colt, I was kinda leaning towards that anyway. I also just saw that I can load and shoot wax bullets in the Vaquero using large pistol primers in my backyard so that right there is an added bonus.

I'll be the oddball. Since I prefer the grip of a 1911 over that of a SA Ruger and since the primary reason to have it is for protection and goofin' around instead of a dedicated hunting handgun, I pick the 1911, given I only have those two options.

Wax bullets can be fun, but they also can make a 'ell of a mess in your barrel.

It's no debate. The revolver wins hands down. For versatility, flexibility, strength, accuracy, and reliability a large caliber revolver cannot be beat. Loads for every kind of critter from snake to Democrat to bear can be stoked in its cylinder. And they'll function sure as sunrise. An autoloader has the defects of its virtues, and has no place in the field.

I'd go with the single action as well, but the problem with the NV is getting it to shoot to the sights. I managed to get mine squared away, but it entailed some file work on the rear notch and a cpl dabs of cold blue. I also had to lower the front sight...as it stands now, the impact point with my favorite load is right on the top of the front sight at 25 yds. Too, mine (in .45 LC) had to have the cylinder throats opened up to shoot lead alloy accurately.

SS would be the way to go for long trips through the woods, but don't know if Ruger offers a NV in SS. As to caliber, .45 or .44 Spl would be my choice. But if you're not wedded to a big caliber, one of the .32 H&R Mini-Vaqueros might be just the ticket, especially if you take your kids or wife along.

A major advantage for the revolver is that you'll not be chasing spent brass all over creation as you would with a 1911.

Here are a pair of mine...a .45 and the .32. That little .32 doesn't add much weight on the belt, a consideration if you back pack or plan long walks.

Best Regards, Rod

Neither

For a woods gun seek out an original Vaquero in 45 Colt-it will handle the really heavy loads that the New Vaquero will not.Or get a 45 Blackhawk convertible-45 Colt/45 ACP-really versatile

Seriously, if you're limiting your revolver choice to a single-action Ruger, consider the Blackhawk for its adjustable sights. Very few fixed sight guns really shoot to point of aim beyond very short distances. Just for poops and giggles, I would also consider a used Interarms Virginian Dragoon. Safe, powerful, accurate, beautifully crafted, and often quite a bit less expensive than a New Vaquero

Saw an original stainless Vaquero in 38-40 that came with a .40 S&W cylinder to boot.

But $850 was kind of out of my need/price range.

Still it would have been interesting, especially if they made a 10mm cylinder.

Deaf

Seriously, if you're limiting your revolver choice to a single-action Ruger, consider the Blackhawk for its adjustable sights. Very few fixed sight guns really shoot to point of aim beyond very short distances.

I own and have fired many fixed sight guns and all shot POA out to a reasonable distance. Even on my handguns with adjustable sights I never change them from POA at 25 ft anyway so the benefit of being able to adjust my sights for long range shots is not something I am really concerned about. Also like I mentioned before I am not a fan of adjustable sights on a single action.

Drag, I guess it depends on your sighting in comfort level. At any distance, I want my point of impact (POI) aligned with the front sight, ie. no windage or deflection to either side. Admittedly, this will vary whether I'm shooting one-handed or using both as God and Col. Cooper intended. The beauty of adj. sights is the ability to get that windage in without major frame or front sight machining.

My NV in .45 LC shot two inches low and left with my standard load at 25 yds. Closer in, at 10 yds, it was still an inch low and left; ie. more than I wanted. I ended up widening the rear notch on the right side, nearly .020" to center the impact point as to windage. I also lowered the front sight by judicious use of a fine mill file to get the elevation right.

It worked for me, but is a PITA...believe me when I say that I spent some anxious minutes with a thoroughly taped up revolver in my padded vise while filing. The procedure was file a little, measure with a mic, then shoot several groups, then back to the file work. In the end, I got what I wanted, but getting Ruger Inc. to turn the barrel a mite, would have been a better solution were they willing to do that.

Like you, I like the way that slick NV rides in a Tom Threepersons open top holster...no adj. sight wings to catch on clothing etc. but sighting in to my druthers was a pain, and in all honesty, you get a better sight picture with a broad wing adj. rear sight blade than with any rounded frame notch.

Here's a pic of the rear end of that NV after filing and cold bluing. In use, I don't notice that it's offset to the right by that amount, but would opine that .020" is about the limit in that regard.

Best Regards, Rod

Quote from Reloader28: "Rod, any gunsmith can turn a barrel for you. Takes 30 seconds."

Excuse me, but we went to the freaking MOON almost half a century ago, and one would think that with laser bore sighting, CNC machining, modern metallurgy, Ransom rests, and all the other wonders of our age, there is no excuse for any new handgun to not shoot to point of aim. OK, variables of bullet weight and velocity might mean hits a little high or a little low, but there is no excuse for a new weapon to ever hit right or left within 25 yards.

Single Action revolvers have been made for over 150+ years and one would think they'd have figured them out by now. You know, settled science. No new gun should ever have to see a gunsmith, or a file. For what these babies cost, any windage deviation from point of aim should be considered a manufacturer's defect and the weapon returned to the factory for free re-alignment of the sights.

Sheesh.

Well, I'd have to disagree, Horse...a shooter's grip has an enormous effect on point of impact. My groups vary by two inches depending on whether I use both hands, strong hand only, or weak hand. After 40 + years of competition with both rifle and hand gun, I can tell the above is true as is the effect of light on the sights...and inch of difference at pistol distances (25 yds) is easily possible depending on whether the light is from three or 9 o'clock. So with that in mind, manuf's. have to use a compromise sighting arrangement that satisfies most, but is not 100% for all.

For the most part, Ruger does a good job regulating fixed sighted guns...but with some notable exceptions...a friend's .32 for instance that shot 6" high at 50 feet...a taller front sight was the only option in that case, but oddly enuf, the windage was OK.

As to "any gunsmith" can turn a barrel...hmmmmm...some of my experience would be lucky to turn the lug nuts on my truck without buggering them up. At least, if Ruger did the work, the gun would be covered by warranty.

And too, you can rule out "tapping" the front sight a bit to give you some instant windage...even Ruger's excellent soldering job can and will come loose if you get to aggressive...don't bother to ask me how I know.

Best Regards, Rod

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, with a few caveats. The .45Colt is more flexible and you have the advantage of a good roll crimp. It is certainly a more traditional outdoorsman's sidearm. However, a good, accurate 1911 that shoots to the sights is a beautiful thing and fully capable of handling 90% of the same chores. For me, it needs to be one of the better guns with target sights, rather than a cheap GI model and for that, the Springfield Range Officer works perfectly. That said, I'm primarily a revolver shooter and own more than ten times as many big bore revolvers as 1911's.

Well, I'd have to disagree, Horse...a shooter's grip has an enormous effect on point of impact.
What he said. There is simply no way for every revolver to shoot to POA for every shooter. All our hands are different and we all grip our guns differently. If we didn't, there would be no need for adjustable sights.

I would suggest setting up a target shaped like a bear's head and practice aiming at it's left ear at your preferred distance. Anyone that would like a fixed sight revolver to shoot to point of aim out of the box is living in a dream world anyway.....it's hard to be serious about this...

Anyone that would like a fixed sight revolver to shoot to point of aim out of the box is living in a dream world anyway.....

After doing more research this is pretty much the consensus I came too. I would rather not have to go through the process of meticulously filing down the front sight to shoot to POA with the load of my choice, only to have any other load I put through the gun not shoot POA. I was looking more into the Blackhawks but the SA revolvers with adjustable sights just don't appeal to me which is why I am probably now leaning towards the 1911. It appears that buffalo bore makes a 255gr hard cast flat nose .45acp +p clocked at 950fps, pretty much the same as the max load I would be able to run through the New Vauqero anyway.

I have the Ruger SR1911 and absolutely love it. One of my favorite and most carried guns.

But, I'm with the previous folks who have said you just need to have a nice revolver. I would give the opposite answer if you had only 1911s.

For me, switching among my different pistols helps me appreciate the qualities of each.

Another vote for the NV. If predominate use is woodsin' - look at the 3.75" Montado (regular XR3 grip) or also special distributor only (Talo) .45 Birdshead. Both have the lower SBH profile hammer, a nice plus, as does the SASS special - available in 4.75, the longest I'd get for your use. As has been mentioned, there is/was a .45/ACP dual cylinder NV out there as well--standard "longhorn" hammer. One of those with a Montado/SBH hammer swap would be just dandy as well. All above available in the polished stainless, as is the regular catalog NV line.
Montado (.357 in this case) w/ Bowen-sourced lanyard
_Xutf-8XBXSU1HMDE2MzAuanBnX_.jpg

Last edited:
For Black Bear

It's not the cartridge, it's the bullets. You want SWC bullets of at least 255 grains. The 45 Colt can push them 1100fps comfortably and easily.

Back