45 acp that's not a 1911 . . .

Non-1911 45 acp

No longer in production but just picked up a STAR Firestar 45. It's a bit heavy, all steel, but should shoot fine. Picked it up for #300. I also have the S&W (non-Performance Center) compact M&P. It is a pleasure to shoot.

proxy-image

I have to give a shout out to my Springfield Mod 2. It's not sexy, it's not flashy, but it works.

Years ago I bought one for a security detail. Wanted a smaller CCW in .45 and bought one. Having never shot it, went to the local LE range to qualify the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy process. Shot a 297/300. I'd never shot the gun before. Maybe it was just a good day, but that gun fit me. Lots of other .45's I'd rather have, but for a CCW, I love it.

Sits in a drawer next to by bed now.

Added bonus, the MSRP on all of them is less than $700 and a lifetime service policy.

M&P 2.0 FULL SIZE Series
M&P®45 M2.0 THUMB SAFETY
SKU: 11526

M&P 2.0 FULL SIZE Series
M&P®45 M2.0 NO THUMB SAFETY COMPLIANT
SKU: 13007

M&P 2.0 FULL SIZE Series
M&P®45 M2.0® THREADED BARREL OPTICS READY FULL SIZE
SKU: 13586

If you want to go old school, my personal favorite, the 4516.
Smith-and-Wesson-4516-1-45-ACP_101263771_70879_270D3BD78885F853.jpg

Last edited:
"Though I do wish I had also gotten a Mark 23 back when they were more affordable."

I don't think they were EVER 'more affordable'! My dad gave me his, saying it was wonderful workmanship but just too darned big. I agreed!

I think I traded mine for a brand new Beretta 686!

FNX45T (im a suppressed type of guy ). Super smooth shooting , double stack platform. Only downside is extremely complicated to perform a complete teardown to clean.

Range toy that's not a 1911?
I have a several nice 1911's (DW's in 45 & 10mm) but I ran into the same dilemma and picked the og USP45. It's been 100% on everything and has become my nightstand option.
I think it makes a good range (plinking, not ultra precision unless you change the sights) option because you simply cant wear it out and its very easy to take down and clean. Its also a bit wider across the back of the grip so recoil is spread out making it comfortable for several hundred rounds. I also had a CZ97 back in the day, I regret selling it and think that'd be another excellent option.

Lately tho.. I'm finding 45 and 10 to be about $30/box when 9mm is $13 a box.. so I bought a Prodigy 4.25 and broke it in by manually cycling until the Ceracoat wore away where it needed to. It's been 100% thru ~12 boxes of mixed cheap stuff plus a few boxes of Underwood just to be sure.

I really like the idea of a Kahr cw45. A slim lightweight 45 that can take 1911 mags, although I think you have to experiment to find ones that function with 100% reliability.

Back