45 acp that's not a 1911 . . .

It's not sexy like some of the others; but my personal Springfield XD 45 has been 100% reliable for me--and the many others I've let shoot it-- under all conditions ever since I bought it when it first came out--and I can hit stuff at 50 yards with it if I have to. I have a pretty large array of weapons to choose from for home defense--but it's still the one that remains on the nightstand ready-to-go. It can also handle +p+ if needed, though I have no need for that.

Last edited:
Mine is a P220 Elite Dark with a threaded barrel and fitted with a Surefire X300U-B. It has an exaggerated beaver tail that my banana fingers absolutely love.

I am seeking out an HK USP 45 Tactical, though. Just waiting for a normal person to post one for a price that isn't ridiculous because of pop culture.

I'll "edit" from my post and share a photo of my P220 though. It's honestly phenomenal and forgets to have this thing called "recoil".
fca235f88609779f28334b98bf0fae6e.jpg

Last edited:
Also a vote for the Sig P220.
Wish I had one, but I've "settled" for Glock G30SF instead.
Quite a compact little pistol and soft shooting for being 45ACP caliber.
(Plus, I live in CA where I'm limited to 10rds, so knowing I've got 10rds of 45ACP with the G30SF - the standard capacity for the G30SF - is quite a handful that should do whatever job is needed...)

Been of fan of Tanfoglio large frame, although Sigs P220 Target, if you can find one is a tack driver. I got rid of mine just because I had too many CZ's and Tanfo and 1911's
It is the 8 round mag setup with a decocker, don't think it is made any more. Heavy pistol

I am a big fan of the HK USP compact and full size. Outstanding guns to shoot. Mine are the Variant 1: DA/SA, manual safety, right handed controls.

Though I do wish I had also gotten a Mark 23 back when they were more affordable.

The SIG 220 is a great full sized heavy gun.

If you are looking for a lighter weight carry gun I highly recommend the XD mod 2 3.3" in .45acp. With its integrated extended magazine it carries 14 rounds and shoots like a full sized gun. With the flush magazine it carries like a sub compact. The trigger is excellent and it has all the little features I love; firing pin cocked indicator on the back that is both visual and tactile, chamber empty indicator that is both visual and tactile. Unlike some grip safeties the grip safety is seamless.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-20 015435.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 015435.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 015243.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 015243.png
    332.9 KB · Views: 455
Couple of Kahrs - CW45 (bottom) and CM45 (top). The CM45 (top) is harder to shoot and it's a bit frisky recoil wise and more finicky ammo wise.
CW45%20and%20%20CM45%20thumbnail_IMG_6107_1.jpg

The SIG 220 is a great full sized heavy gun.

We're going to disagree on what is "full sized" and what "heavy" is.

My standard for full sized is the M1911A1 (aka Colt Govt model). The SiG 220 is significantly shorter and about half a pound lighter. Its not a "big" or "Heavy" gun to me.

What's your standard??

Forum Followers:

I think is want another semi auto that shoots 45 ACP, but that is NOT a 1911. I have a really nice Ruger SR1911 that is great to shoot, but I have a hankering for something else. And yeah, I could do the research but it's more fun to ask here. And will be a fun gun, range toy. I suppose if it was small and I could shoot it well it could become a carry gun, but that is NOT why I'm looking.

So tell me about your 45 ACP that is not a 1911.

Thanks.

Life is good.
Prof Young
A Range Toy 45 that is not a 1911 - here are some suggestions others likely have not mentioned.
- Megastar 45
- Bren Ten 45
- Ruger P90DC
- Smith and Wesson 645
- Inglis P35 45ACP (45ACP Hi-Power)
- CZ 97B

All steel. All 45ACP. No plastic. NO 1911's!

The FNX-45 is my bedside gun, and I enjoy carrying a G30SF. I have a Sig P220 and it shoots great but is a single stack just like a 1911 so.....

A nod to the inexpensive yet reliable and accurate Ruger P97DC.

There are many that are better on paper and in looks. The P97DS has a very off-putting recoil impulse, due to the recoil damping properties of the recoil rod/cam design.

However, it has been very accurate in my hands and I have a fond spot for them.

Sure, there are much nicer designs, but the Ruger P97 deserves a review.

I have a Smith 4506-1 that I bought some years ago. I absolutely love it.

I'm not 100% sure, but it's marked HPD, so it may be a former Harrisburg Police Department gun. I grew up 7 miles from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and spent a lot of time there over the years.

And the HPD toted 4506s for many, many years.

I also have a Smith & Wesson Model of 1917 revolver made for the Brazilian military.

Also love that one.

I absolutely hate plastic guns, but then I made the mistake of shooting a PX4.

I now own a couple PX4s, one of which is a 45. Highly recommended.

Not sure if its me or the gun or just the perfect combination, but they flat shoot.

Discontinued now but the S&W Performance Center Shield 45 4" is a very reliable firearm in 45. When you're talking 45's slide length matters. A 45 really likes a longer slide. It gives a better feed angle and dwell time which greatly increases reliability. Mine came with a 4# trigger which I didn't like so I called S&W and they told me the purple trigger return spring would increase the weight. It now breaks at 8# which is perfect for a handgun without a manual safety or heavy double action.

The gun is as thin as you can possibly get and very light. I put a tritium front sight on it and it's good to go. The grip is very aggressive so you may want to sand it down.
iu

The Savage Model 1907 was in .45ACP flavor. Likely going to have a bit of trouble finding of those though.

I also love sig 220. Just to throw it out there since you mentioned concealed carry sig make a carry version I think it was the P245. They’re out there, I’ve almost moved on one a few times. Similar vein SW made a nice carry 45 called the model 457.

Taurus model 455

Think snub nose J-frame S&W , 5 shot but in ... 45 ACP !
Why S&W doesn't make one I'll never know but the Taurus 455 is SWEET !
Gary

Back