45 acp that's not a 1911 . . .

Prof Young

Forum Followers:

I think is want another semi auto that shoots 45 ACP, but that is NOT a 1911. I have a really nice Ruger SR1911 that is great to shoot, but I have a hankering for something else. And yeah, I could do the research but it's more fun to ask here. And will be a fun gun, range toy. I suppose if it was small and I could shoot it well it could become a carry gun, but that is NOT why I'm looking.

So tell me about your 45 ACP that is not a 1911.

Thanks.

Life is good.
Prof Young

@ Prof Young: My first choice would be a SIG P-220. If you want a plastic gun, then a FN America FNX-45. I don't like striker fired guns without a safety, because I feel that they're an accidental discharge waiting to happen. But that's just a personal thing.

Thanks for starting this thread. I always enjoy your posts.

Thanks Hammie!

Thanks Hammie.
I gotta tell ya, I have learned more about the world of firearms from this forum than any other single source. Some of the guys who are regulars, like UncleNick, could write a book.

Gotta love it.
Life is good.
Prof Young

The old Ruger P-series guns were superb, P-90 if I recall. I had a P-89TH in 9mm and stupidly sold it off, very accurate and easily handleable.

Another voice for the Sig P220. Accurate, reliable, long track record of successes. A smaller lighter option is the Shield 2.0 45acp with a manual safety. Only down side is that racking the slide is extremely heavy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Privateer.jpg
    Privateer.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 668
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 667
  • weight-Shield-2.0-45.jpg
    weight-Shield-2.0-45.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 669
I checked out a Beretta PX4 Storm 45 that’s been sitting on consignment for 6 months at a local shop. I find the rotating bolt action interesting & read good reviews, very dependable & the price is not bad at $500-it’s still sitting there & I continue to think about it.

EAA Tanfoglio

The CZ 75 based Tanfoglio guns are really reliable and accurate. They have a double stack 10 round magazine and I know this might scare you about them but some of the round top 10mm guns had a reputation of developing cracks. The square top slides are supposed to be the better ones to buy. My 45 has the square slide with foreward grasping grooves and a rail. It is a heavy home defense gun with light attached. I've fired mine hundreds of times with different bullet shapes and it has never jammed. It has a ramped barrel and beefy grip but is a good alternative to the 1911 if you like all steel guns with a CZ 75 pedigree. Unfortunately with the large frame EAA there are few after market grips.

I like the Ruger P-90 and the Sig 220. Let me ad a Smith & Wesson 4506, Taurus TH45, and I was going to mention another rare bird, the H&K P9S in 45, but then someone brought up the Beretta PX4 Storm in 45, which would be a newer, but similar pistol to the HK.

In 1980 I bought a new Browning BDA .45. I love it, its my favorite .45ACP handgun, that isn't a 1911A1. Smaller and considerably lighter, I don't mind the DA feature, rarely use it. SA trigger is quite good, though there is a long "free" take up before engagement.

My gun is the old, original version, made in W. Germany, and has the heel clip magazine release. That used to bother me a bit, but no longer does. Perhaps that a sign my wanna be "gunfighter days have passed. Anyway, its 100% positive, effectively ambidextrous, and isn't going to be bumped letting the mag loose.

I would consider it an outstanding gun for combat and self defense use but not the fastest possible "race gun".

My gun is totally stock, no work (other than shooting it) has ever been done to it. It feeds everything, ball, JHP lead SWC, everything, and its quite accurate. Field strip take down is simplicity itself, lock the slide back (GUN EMPTY!!!!) rotate the take down lever 90 degrees and ease the slide assembly off the frame.

You can, perhaps find other pistols better suited to what you want, but I don't think you can go wrong with one of the Sig P220 variants.

Oh. That's true.

Tanfoglio imported by ifg in Stock Master Defiant frame is probably the best money and best peforming anything above 9mm on the market.

Agreed with above, just not eaa line supported. Ifg.

Oh. That's true.

Tanfoglio imported by ifg in Stock Master Defiant frame is probably the best money and best peforming anything above 9mm on the market.

Agreed with above, just not eaa line supported. Ifg. Ppq might still be best all around and lowest, but ifg tanfo is cz shadow 2 and tactical sport in 45, 10mm, and 38 super.

Back