44/45 Magnum VS. 45-70 Do_All-Levergun

What would your do-it-all levergun chamber?

• 44 Mag

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • 45 Colt

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 45-70 Gov

Votes: 79 59.0%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
444 Marlin has peaked my interest...

Only because it takes the same caliber rounds a 44 Mag would. What's the trade-off when it comes to power between 444 and 45-70 though? It seems the larger case would offer the option for increased performance, if in the off-chance I ever needed a Whooly Mammoth killer.
Are they cheaper to be found in this caliber?

How about the 30-30?

It's not one of the poster's stated choices, but wouldn't a 30-30 suffice? I recently purchased a Marlin 336 XLR SS in 30-30. With a 24" barrel, it's a little heavy, but should, with proper reloads, carry the needed foot-pounds to 300 yds. I'm reloading Hodgson's Leverevolution powder and Hornady's FTX flex-tip ammo in 160 gr. It's suitable for tube-guns. If your max ranges are 150 yards or so, this might suffice, and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Good plinker, and classic deer cartridge.

Any thoughts from the group?

For what O/P describes a .30-30 would be an excellent choice. Up to 100 yards, there would be little difference as the .45 Colt and .44 Mag with a 300 plus grain hard cast LBT WFN will shoot stem to stern on any critter and will shoot through any game animal on a broadside. Beyond 100 yards, the .45-70 would be better. The revolver calibers make more sense to me as you can get a matching handgun. Cost less to reload as well.

Last edited:
my 45-70

i have a contender carbine that weighs about 5lbs. reloading makes sense if you shoot other calibers as outlay for gear can be significant depending on your shooting activity.

i cast and load lee 405 gr. with starline brass. initial cost for brass--about .50 each. lead i got for free, powder and primer--you can do the math. the brass can be shot a number of times depending on how hot you want--this gets the cost per shot down.

my accuracy load is 35-36gr. 3031--it doesn't punish me--its accurate to 100yds and my hunting will be limited to 50-75yds. i've loaded hotter--but my shoulder looks like hamburger after several rounds and it's not much fun. i think you have more hunting/target options with the 45-70. ;)

there would be little difference as the .45 Colt and .44 Mag with a 300 plus grain hard cast LBT WFN will shoot stem to stern on any critter and will shoot through any game animal on a broadside. Beyond 100 yards, the .45-70 would be better.

Well, theoretically anyway. In the real world out in the field, if you shoot a .45-70 at ranges longer than 100 yards, you better know the exact distance and know the exact holdover needed for that distance.

There's a big difference between clanging a steel ram at a known 500 meters and making a clean kill at real game at "that looks like between 300 and 400 yards away" ranges.

The higher velocitys achieveable with the 300 grain bullets makes for a flatter trajectory and may make them better choices for taking game at shooter estimated ranges.

I don't see what would be wrong with a Savage model 99 chambered in .358 win or a Browning BLR in the same cartridge. Either 1 would be very accurate and powerful at the ranges he's going to be shooting. Besides if you ever do decide to scope it and/or take a longer shot the .358 win would be dandy for the job.

Only because it takes the same caliber rounds a 44 Mag would.

Yes but not the same bullets! My understanding is that typical 44 Mag Jacketed bullets are not constructed well enough to hold together and penetrate at the higher velocities of the 444 Marlin.

Hardcast lead boolits solve this hunting problem, but I wouldn't waste my 44 Mag bullets in the 444. In fairness, I have never owned a 444 or shot one so have no direct experience in what I have said. I have heard this from respected 444 owners here and there and so believe it. It makes sense. Handgun bullets have thinner jackets to expand at handgun velocities.

Be aware that quite a lot of the .444s, especially older 1s, were made with "microgroove" rifling". That pretty much rules out cast bullet options if it does indeed have microgroove rifling.

I dunno, a lot of .22's had microgroove rifling and seemed to work just fine with lead .22 lr bullets.
I don't think it's the rifling but the size of the microgroove bores that was the problem.
Sport45 claims that cast bullets have to be sized to .432 to work well in those barrels.
Jacketed bullets are actually copper patched soft lead bullets and it may be they more readily upset to seal a slightly oversized bore.

With the mention of the 44 Mag taking the same caliber bullet of the 444 Marlin I became curious to see what this caliber is all about, being that I want a lever action that fires a fat bullet and leaves a hole on each side of what I'm shooting at. I realize the magnum rounds won't hold up at the higher velocity the 444 could shoot them at but wouldn't plan to shoot them very quickly. It's more to purchase lighter rounds so I can reload easy plinking rounds without casting my own.
After some searching around, I came upon an older three-part-article Marshall Stanton (Beartooth Bullets) wrote up about the round and the effectiveness it possesses in his Marlin 1895s. It's a long read, but extremely interesting. After reading it, I don't think I'd pass on a good deal in this caliber.
Here's a link to his article:
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/17

That pretty much rules out cast bullet options if it does indeed have microgroove rifling.

Oh, it does not. To get a microgroove to shoot you just size em fat. We got my buddy's microgroove 30/30 shooting real good with .311s with minimal to no leading.

I have both 45-70 and .45 Colt Marlins. Either one would be A good all round gun. The 45 can be loaded up to the lower 45-70 power with 300+grain bullets. will handel most game you are likely to encounter. If the big bears are A concern 45-70 is the one for you.

We have big blacks(600lbs?) but nothing like the great bears up north, at least that I'm aware of...

I've started reading about the 444 Marlin and have added it to the list. I think at this point it's going to come down to whichever I can get the better deal on - 444M or 45-70.

To me deer, elk, black bear = Marlin 45-70
I have both the 44Mag and the 45-70 rifles.
The 44Mag is dialed in for carry in the woods where I have under 100 yard shots. The 45-70 is carried if I opt to go in a different direction where 200 yard shots across an open field are likely.
I'm no bear or elk hunter, but it seems to me those animals are a little big and tough for my little potent 44Mag. I'd use the 45-70 instead.

I like the 357 magnum and the 45/70.

When I "Harvest" deer from my back porch I use the 357 because it is easier and less expensive to shoot and has taken more deer for me than any other round.

When I have to go and "hunt" I take the 45/70 because there are a few Grizzly bears here not to mention quite a few Black bears lots of wolves. I have never had any trouble with them but why take the chance.

Just to throw in a couple of different choices...

Paco tested a Legacy in .454 a few years back. He found the rifle could handle high pressure loads. If you are willing to search for the right vintage, it's an option.

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

Then in 2007 Jeff wrote a review on a stainless version in .480. I own a .480 Alaskan so I would be highly tempted if I ever saw one of these when I had gun money in my hand. Jeff certainly had good results in his tests. Every time I read this review I want to buy one all over again!

http://www.gunblast.com/Puma480.htm

Gregg

I remember Rossi used to make an M92 in .454. They had problems with the forend cracking so they discontinued them. I think it probably had more to do with the cheap wood they use for their furniture.

I really wanted one of those when I first started looking into lever actions. With the Casull round you've got almost as much power as a 45-70, in a light weight rifle, that holds a lot more rounds than the 45-70. You also have the ability to fire the 45 colt for target practice, and .454 for hunting (although it had to be loaded down the magazine with the mag spring tube removed, which was uniquely removable on the .454 model), kind of like loading a Marlin 60, or one of some of the Henry lever actions. The ammo is also lighter, less bulky, and you can take more of it with you.

But they stopped making them, that's why I compromised and got the .44 and the 45-70.

45-70 ammo

Most my range shooting is done with bulk ordered hardcast bullets that are handloaded to mild levels that can still knock down a deer quite handily yet are easy on the shoulder ! Have you seen the price of factory 45-70 ammo lately....is the price of lead really that high ? :eek: I may have to resort to getting a 223 so I can afford to shoot as much as I like ! :)

Back