41 Mag vs. 44 Mag

and then all the info is in fewer threads.
compared to having to read several threads just to see people griping about old threads.
+1 for reusing an old thread....isn't recycling the in thing these days?

I've never noticed a wave of hot air with anything I've ever shot. I have sometimes felt particles on my face, however.

I have owned both a .41 Magnum and a .44 Magnum, both with 4-inch barrels, both S&Ws, so they were very similar except that the .41 had fixed sights. I really couldn't tell the difference in recoil or blast, although I never shot one right after the other. The .357 with 125-grain loads, on the other hand, has a terrific blast but nowhere near as much kick. These were all factory loads I'm referring to.

In a Super Blackhawk/Blackhawk I could go either way, .41 or .44 Magnum.
Between a 57/58 or 29 I'd rather the former, the .41, because it is stronger and will last longer.
If I had to choose one over the other in the gun of my choice I'd go Single Action and opt for the Blackhawk in .41.

Reloading is done very easily for either cartridge. There is a felt difference in recoil between the .41 and .44 to me. The .41 is more shootable, and perhaps because of this more accurate.

I've never noticed a wave of hot air with anything I've ever shot. I have sometimes felt particles on my face, however.

I've felt it with a 500 S&W Magnum, but nothing else.

Chris

Of the three in the picture below, I found the .41 Mag to have a fairly light recoil - something closer to a .357 Mag. I have never shot "cowboy" loads out of the .45 Colt, only hand loads or Buffalo Bore type ammo.

DW3BigFrame.jpg

I got nothing against reviving old threads, if the one who raises it from the grave is asking a question (even the same question as the now long gone OP).

This one didn't, just made a comment on the price he paid for .41 ammo. And we took off discussing the OP's question. Again.

FWIW, here's my take on the .41 Mag (and yes, I have owned one)

On paper, its approx. 15% less energy than the .44. That means 15% less recoil in the same weight gun. Myself, I could never tell the difference. And I seriously doubt anything shot with a .41 could tell the difference either.

Since the ammo is not 15% cheaper (rather quite the opposite and more), and the guns are not 15% smaller or lighter (or cheaper) I really don't see the point to the .41 Mag. I got rid of mine years ago, and stuck with the .44.

THe .41 is however a cult cartridge. Those people who like them usually love them intensly. I respect that. I don't know why they do it, but I respect it.

That being said, I think its time to put this thread back in the grave. If you want to talk .41 vs .44, start a new thread.

41s & 44s

41 Blackhawks
The Georgia Mountains, Rhododendron Thickets, A Pair of 41 Rugers,
Wild Hogs and Mr Daniels.
May take more than one, but the 41 Round is very effective with a Hog
at Close Range.
Young and Dumb,
But : I like my 29s, especially my 4Inch (Don't Tread On Me)
Hagen

Last edited:
This reminds me of the .270 vs 30-06 discussion. Either the .41 mag or the .44 mag will be lethal on most NA game if you can put the bullet where is should go. I have owned and shot both and its a personal choice. I have never had a problem finding components for reloading the .41. Off the shelf ammo is a little harder to find but I feel its worth the effort! No one has told the full story! The .41 shoots a little flatter than the .44 so I like that fact combined with the reduced recoil of the .41! IMO my .41 does not kick much more than my .357! Again, its personal choice- try both then decide.

I dunno what happened to me. I've owned a slew of .44 Magnums. My first handgun was a Super Blackhawk.

Now the most "powerful handgun" I own is a Blackhawk .41 Magnum. Yes I had an X frame in the .460 and three .454 Casulls over the years, but I always felt the .44 Magnum was really enough for a handgun.

I've had 3 or 4 .41 Magnums before over time and they all slipped out of my hands for some reason I can't recall.

Now that I feel I have a complete collection I see the .41 Blackhawk has become the replacement for a .44 Magnum.

The fact that it is "cultic" seems to create an effervescent aura around me when I handle my .41 Blackhawk.

I wonder if it has more spirit or something than it is given credit for.

I see I replied 6 years ago; the only change is .41ammo is even more expensive!!! I will second the observation on the .41s flat-shooting qualities though.

I have heard it stated without a shred of physical evidence that a .41 magnum N-frame will hold up better than a .44 magnum. It could be true but I'd think you'd have to do a lot of shooting first. It might not be long in coming if you did, say, metallic silhouette shooting. But that's S&W N-frames; maybe it wouldn't matter with other revolvers.

Raging Bull in 30 Carbine,

I was watching a TV show about various rifles being demonstrated on water bottles, and ballistic gelatin..... I was surprised that the .30 carbine bullet was as effective in gelatin as the .30-06 M-1 Garrand round.... despite having a much shorter case...I would assume that the .30 carbine round would suffer some velocity loss through a shorter pistol barrel, but might be a fun combination... especially if one reloads....

Great info, and thanks to post #23 for resurrecting an old thread as I found lots of useful (and up to date) info about .41 vs .44 :) I found this forum via google because of this thread, wonder if I would have if the thread remained dead in 2004? Great forum btw..

I can relate to that sense of spirit on the .41, I had both the S&W .41 and .44's in 8-3/8" barrels, and the .41 just felt tighter and more accurate. I could shoot it better. I used to think it was a heavier barrel that made a better weight and balance feel. I know I could hit a smaller zone with it at 100 yards or over with a two handed standing hold. I for some reason hit deer with it better than I did with the .44.

This one's hard to quantify but for me the .41 had a more confidence inspiring sense of presence.

Cheaper Than Dirt is selling Bitterroot Valley 41 mag ammo for under $30 for 50-ct boxes in both semi-wad cutters and jacketed HP's.

41 vs 44 mag

Interesting thread; started in 2004 and then suddenly picked up again with new life in 2010. I guess online searches enables that. Ok here it is, 2011.
Something never mentioned is case capacity. The case capacity of the .41 mag is exactly the same as the .44 special! Now, ppl shoot .44 specials out of their .44 Magnums for lighter loads and less recoil, right? The weights of the two smiths are only within a couple or a few ounces of each other, depending on barrel length and OD. The average bullet weight of the .44's 240 grs compares to the .41'a 210. All in all, while recoil is subjective, objective physics suggests the recoil will be slightly less in the .41. As for bullet weights, ppl are shooting 250 gr, 275, and even 300 grs out of their .41's now. I have heard of some unigue individuals carrying 300 gr loaded blackhawks in .41 even in Alaska for bear protection. I doubt if a grizzly would respond differently if hit by a couple of 300 gr bullets from a .41" 41 magnum vs a .429" 44 magnum. IMO, the .41 magnum smiths will receive less pounding due to less recoil and won't shoot loose as quickly as the .44 magnum, S&W knew that and that is why they they had to upgrade the 629's.

never had a 41. just got a 44mag in a bisley hunter ruger. will be testing it out today with factory 240gr. swc leads.

will also reload the 44 with mild to wild home cast bullets (i already load for 45 acp and 45-70). my goal is to have a multi use (target/hunting) gun.

will have to repost with my reactions to the new gun.

more later.:D

Back